Any chance of mating this with a current DSLR?

Go for it!

You probably won't find a ready-made adapter, but that's why they make tubing and tape.

I would suggest texting the seller and asking him.

I would suggest texting the seller and asking him.

I was expecting you to say that you had one....

A little too steep for me to experiment with but imagine the possibilities!!

Buy a spotting scope and a readily available adapter for most models. More power, way cheaper, and you won't need gorilla arms to pack it around.:anonymous:

I've seen many "TV" lenses that are C-mount (1 inch screw mount) but it doesn't look like your lens is a C-mount (can't tell for sure from photo). The C-mount is the same mount used on many 16mm movie cameras back in the day.

There are lots of C-mount lenses that were made for video use and some have wild specs -- long zoom ranges with fast apertures or very fast tele focal lengths. And, there are C-mount to other camera mount adapters. These lenses can often be had for low prices on eBay.

Last edited:
I would suspect the optical quality would be exceedingly sub-par for still images. It would be fine for videos, but crap for stills.

I would suspect the optical quality would be exceedingly sub-par for still images. It would be fine for videos, but crap for stills.

Having zero experience with anything like this, I would have guessed differently.
Why do you think that?

Having zero experience with anything like this, I would have guessed differently.
Why do you think that?

Video doesn't require that sharp of a lens. If the lens has any age to it, it was built to 1080p or lower (720, 480 etc) resolution. 1080p is a mere 2.07mb. So any lack of sharpness would easily be ignored at 24 or 30fps.

Why do you think that?

Video doesn't require that sharp of a lens. If the lens has any age to it, it was built to 1080p or lower (720, 480 etc) resolution. 1080p is a mere 2.07mb. So any lack of sharpness would easily be ignored at 24 or 30fps.

I have marveled at what TV cameras can do when it comes to zoom range and light gathering and lusted after those capabilities for my camera.

I never realized that those properties would not be evident if somehow Dr. Moreau grafted one to a DSLR.

I have marveled at what TV cameras can do when it comes to zoom range and light gathering and lusted after those capabilities for my camera.

I never realized that those properties would not be evident if somehow Dr. Moreau grafted one to a DSLR.

The zoom range is due, in part, to the lack of need for sharpness. Yeah, DSLR lenses could be made today with the same zoom range. But they'd be unmarketable due to being soft no matter what. Otherwise, we'd have our Nirvana 10-2000mm lenses.

The other concern I would have is the image circle size. Without knowing that, you may end up with a circular image in the middle of the frame.

But yes, it would be an interesting project and I'd love to see the results.

The zoom range is due, in part, to the lack of need for sharpness. Yeah, DSLR lenses could be made today with the same zoom range. But they'd be unmarketable due to being soft no matter what. Otherwise, we'd have our Nirvana 10-2000mm lenses.

The other concern I would have is the image circle size. Without knowing that, you may end up with a circular image in the middle of the frame.

But yes, it would be an interesting project and I'd love to see the results.

Thanks for the lesson.

I've seen many "TV" lenses that are C-mount (1 inch screw mount) but it doesn't look like your lens is a C-mount (can't tell for sure from photo). The C-mount is the same mount used on many 16mm movie cameras back in the day.

There are lots of C-mount lenses that were made for video use and some have wild specs -- long zoom ranges with fast apertures or very fast tele focal lengths. And, there are C-mount to other camera mount adapters. These lenses can often be had for low prices on eBay.
I suspect thats for a larger format than c-mount, it's probably in one of the Arri mounts...

Either way your unlikely to be able to adapt to a DSLR, but a modern mirrorless camera should be relatively easy...

Either way your unlikely to be able to adapt to a DSLR ...

Just check eBay -- there are C-mount adapters for a number of SLR mounts including Nikon, Canon EF, M42 and others.

Most reactions

Back