Apparently D800's Aren't Waterproof...

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I mean I knew that, but I managed to watch mine and a 16-35 f4 VRII and some Lee Filters slip under the waterline this afternoon.

Before that horrifying moment, I took the photo below. Enders falls is one of those places that always provides killer scenes, but at a price. It's dangerous. Many have died here. My friend ruined his camera here. I've now ruined my camera here. The water is at the bottom of a notch, and both sides for access are steep, currently coated in ice and snow, and today was rainy so it was also wet. I myself stayed safe, but my gear did not.

_RSP1837 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Was it worth it? I don't know yet.

Was I insured? You bet your bottom dollar.

Did I freak out after it happened? Oh you wouldn't believe.

Am I still nervous about making a claim? Of course. I've never had to actually USE my gear insurance.

Do I think my gear is toast? Likely. Lots of water seems to be in the lens. Body had some water in it too....

Lastly, do you have any words of advice for me going forwards?

Cheers!
Jake

Well.. you for sure got a final good shot. You can at least be happy for that. As for repairs, not really qualified for advice on that.

Well.. you for sure got a final good shot. You can at least be happy for that. As for repairs, not really qualified for advice on that.

Well thanks! I'm pretty happy with the result, photo wise.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Such an awsome shot, good job.This is soooo good!

I would leave both camera and lens to drain (after removing batteries) and then leave them somewhere nice and warm for a week or two. I have a friend who successfully repaired a dead Apple computer by putting the motherboard in the washing machine - on the basis that he had nothing more to lose. The trouble with wet electronics only occurs when they are powered.

www.johns-old-cameras.blogspot.co.uk

I mean I knew that, but I managed to watch mine and a 16-35 f4 VRII and some Lee Filters slip under the waterline this afternoon.

Before that horrifying moment, I took the photo below. Enders falls is one of those places that always provides killer scenes, but at a price. It's dangerous. Many have died here. My friend ruined his camera here. I've now ruined my camera here. The water is at the bottom of a notch, and both sides for access are steep, currently coated in ice and snow, and today was rainy so it was also wet. I myself stayed safe, but my gear did not.

Well, it's a really nice picture! Worth losing a D800 and lens for? Tough call.

Ah. Good for you! Leaning towards "it was worth it now." Of course, it might take some time for it to seem that way!

Oh, but I would. Having watched a piece of camera gear (and just a 70-300 "nothing fancy" lens at that) roll down a hill and into the quarry--and BEFORE I'd gotten insurance--stories like this still make me get a little heartburn, after all this time.

Am I still nervous about making a claim? Of course. I've never had to actually USE my gear insurance. [/QUOTE}

That may be a plus, really--particularly if it ends well. Insurance is a great concept, but it needs to be worth what you're paying for it. Now at least you have the opportunity to find out how your insurance company responds. Here's hoping they are quick, responsive and you have new gear in no time!

As for advice going forward and your gear being "toast":
The only thing I could say is that I was able to save my lens when it went for a swim. I was away from home, so I just started tilting it one direction, letting the water out of it, drying it off, then flipping it the other direction. I did that until no water seemed to be coming out of it. then I set upside down on a towel on the way home.
At home, I grabbed a large ziploc bag, and all the rice I could find. I put the rice into the bag, then set the lens on top and sealed the bag. The hardest part was leaving it all alone--I didn't really know how long it needed to stay there, and I was SO anxious to take it out and test it. But I left it in the bag for 2 or 3 days. Put it on the camera, and after a few miscues trying to get it to connect with the camera, it started working. I've since given to a young friend, who is still using it several years later with no issues.

On the other hand, if I had insurance (which I do now), I probably wouldn't go to the all the trouble--I'd just file the claim and get a replacement that I know isn't going to develop issues like mold from the water damage.

Well, it's a really nice picture! Worth losing a D800 and lens for? Tough call.

Ah. Good for you! Leaning towards "it was worth it now." Of course, it might take some time for it to seem that way!

Oh, but I would. Having watched a piece of camera gear (and just a 70-300 "nothing fancy" lens at that) roll down a hill and into the quarry--and BEFORE I'd gotten insurance--stories like this still make me get a little heartburn, after all this time.

Am I still nervous about making a claim? Of course. I've never had to actually USE my gear insurance. [/QUOTE}

That may be a plus, really--particularly if it ends well. Insurance is a great concept, but it needs to be worth what you're paying for it. Now at least you have the opportunity to find out how your insurance company responds. Here's hoping they are quick, responsive and you have new gear in no time!

As for advice going forward and your gear being "toast":
The only thing I could say is that I was able to save my lens when it went for a swim. I was away from home, so I just started tilting it one direction, letting the water out of it, drying it off, then flipping it the other direction. I did that until no water seemed to be coming out of it. then I set upside down on a towel on the way home.
At home, I grabbed a large ziploc bag, and all the rice I could find. I put the rice into the bag, then set the lens on top and sealed the bag. The hardest part was leaving it all alone--I didn't really know how long it needed to stay there, and I was SO anxious to take it out and test it. But I left it in the bag for 2 or 3 days. Put it on the camera, and after a few miscues trying to get it to connect with the camera, it started working. I've since given to a young friend, who is still using it several years later with no issues.

On the other hand, if I had insurance (which I do now), I probably wouldn't go to the all the trouble--I'd just file the claim and get a replacement that I know isn't going to develop issues like mold from the water damage.

Yeah, even if I can manage to get it to work, I'm worried there's internal damage that will manifest itself in months or years, in which case I'll be screwed. Chocking it up as a total loss and will see what the insurance company says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to salvage the lens, take it completely apart before it dries ... though the internal electronics may be shot already.

So long as there is no active current (ergo camera off) water tends to do little damage itself, its the minerals and salts within the water. Thus one way is to get the camera wet again in distilled water; basically flushing out as much of the salts and minerals as you can (making sure battery and internal battery are removed before doing this). Then you just have to dry it out fully (camera in a bag with rice - silica gel - etc...).

The lens is more complex because of the glass and coatings and might require proper repair and internal cleaning.

Shot looks great :) Certainly worth going to get a shot like that and a story too!
Hope that insurance is understanding and that you can get your gear replaced without too much hassle.

AFAIK Nikon never claimed it was water proof. Phrases like 'weather resistant' & 'sealed' are used to imply a limit on the water resistance. However I have heard of cameras surviving a brief immersion with no further treatment.

At least it's fresh water! Salt water is much more likely to cause issues. My sons phone was dropped in a fountain during a school trip. I didn't get to see it till the following day but fortunately he'd taken the battery out & after drying it thoroughly in a vacuum oven (at work - turned down to <50°C) it was fine. For those not blessed with a vacuum oven I gather the airing cupboard is a reasonable place to dry electronics.

I have to agree about it being a lovely shot, but I wouldn't want to pay such a price myself for it. Hope you get your gear sorted OK.

The photo looks great. I saw it on Instagram when you posted it and the story and I feel for ya. Hopefully you get the gear all sorted out!

Edit: By the way, its good you're still in good shape minus the camera!

It's a great shot, but I feel like no shot is worth sacrificing your gear over it. Will I do something similar again sometime? Of course I will... But I don't like getting that close to the water line anyway.

Sorry about your gear. It's a great shot but not worth risking life and limb (or gear) over - no shot is.

Please post back about your insurance experience. I've found that most insurers suck when it comes to paying up (not gear specific, just in general) and I'm curious how you make out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back