Best Camera For A Passport Business

Nestor Toussaint

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Photography People

I am thinking of starting a business to take passport photos for the locals in my country. I want to buy the best equipments as possible for this business. My question for everyone is what is the best camera I should buy for this business. Also let me know where I can get the best deal on it and how much it will cost.

Any crop entry level DSLR with a 50mm f1.8 should suffice, so I'll say get a secondhand canon 60d and an ef-s 50mm f1.8, job done

My question for everyone is what is the best camera I should buy for this business.
Hello!

You might want to perform market research in your area. Considering that people can produce their own passport photo using a cell phone and a free online editor, starting a business of charging people might be simply wishful thinking.

Last edited:
The Polaroid corporation used to make a dedicated passport camera. A passport photo has strict requirements on head height. it is my belief that today the vast majority of passport photos are shot with a digital camera, and are printed on an ink jet printer to the desired head size.

My suggestion would be to find out from some company in your area how much it costs for a passport photo, and what camera and printer they use. I am not sure that there's any money in this business anymore.

Shooting nothing but passport photos seems like a very limited business opportunity .

Last edited:
I have a local camera store that offers the service. They have since they opened years ago. I doubt they do 2 a month.

Any cell phone built in the past 4 years should be just fine for a photo 2 inches by 2 inches.

"The correct size of a passport photo is: 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) Head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25 - 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head."

If you spend $500 on a body and lens it should only take you...carry the three... about 4 years to break even.

Any cell phone built in the past 4 years should be just fine for a photo 2 inches by 2 inches.....

You can even buy a 10-year-old point-n-shoot off Craigslist for $15 that'll work as well.

My question for everyone is what is the best camera I should buy for this business. Also let me know where I can get the best deal on it and how much it will cost.
Essentially, you will be doing portraiture, no matter what the premise. For portraiture, I would select a FX-sized camera and a 180mm lens, either new or used, it will make no difference. Also, budget for some studio strobes, and modifiers, along with a tripod for the camera and some light stands for the lights. Don't forget the editing software for your computer. You may sell only a couple of passport photos per month, so your main source of income will be studio portraits.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back