Camera for YouTube videos with 1080p+60fsp - prefer compact

MagicCC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a complete beginner and want to buy a camera to shoot videos for YouTube. I'm not considering camcorders as I also want to use it to take pictures while on vacation and for general day to day life.

From what I've already read I can say that I would like to be able to get 1080p resolution and 60fps quality in the videos. Good AutoFocus and good in Dark Environments would be important as I'm just starting out. Timelapse would be a plus, but not essential.

Have already looked around and it seems that the Nikon D3300 can do the job (on the resolution side anyway), but for me it's already too bulky. I would like a Compact Camera or Large Sensor Compact for portability. Pocket size is ideal for me.

After searching through several cameras I can't see many are described as shooting video at 1080p and with 60fps, but many with 1080p (60p/60i). I have also read that 60p is similar to 60fps but relates to input instead of output and that 60i is indeed 1/2 of whatever you have for fps (so 60p would really be 30p). This is all confusing me a lot and I'm having trouble understanding the real differences even after googling it all.

Can you please help me choose a camera with your suggestions? My budget is around 400€ or 450$, but if a particular camera is really exceptional for a little more I'll consider it gladly. I live in Europe in case that matters
smile.gif

Thank you for any help.
Rick

Most cameras today that shoot video can shoot at 1080p, but if you ever find yourself cropping, you'll end up with very soft 1080p-produced videos. Cropping a 1080p video will result in an even smaller format, such as 720. When you resize that back up to 1080, it looks like crap by today's standards.

4k is the standard today. I purchased a Sony a6300 strictly for shooting video so I can shoot everything in 4k and have tons of data to edit.

I didn't know about that...guess 4K is the way to go indeed. But I still need a camera in that price range and Sony a6300 is more than double my budget.

If the D3300 is "too bulky" I seriously doubt your going to find anything that's going to meet your criteria.

A mirrorless option of some sort that is "good in dark environments" is going to be out of your budget.

So from the looks of things you'll need to either compromise and go with a larger system like the D3300 or increase your budget.

OK thanks for that. And if we remove the "good in dark environments" what recommendation would you have?

An good camera for video is de Panasonic FZ200. It has a fast zoomlens and a microphone port.
It's not recent, but still worth its price.
More recent is the FZ300, it's over your budget, but it has 4K video and timelapse.

An good camera for video is de Panasonic FZ200. It has a fast zoomlens and a microphone port.
It's not recent, but still worth its price.
More recent is the FZ300, it's over your budget, but it has 4K video and timelapse.

It seems good alright. But it still has the "Bulkyness" factor to it. I'm not even sure if what I want is possible at this stage.
It seems my thread was moved to DSLR Discussion, but although I mentioned the Nikon D3300 in the initial post, I do not actually want a DSLR, I want to avoid them because they can fit in my pocket.

Please at least just let me know if 60fps = 60p?

Please at least just let me know if 60fps = 60p?
This may help ==>. Video Frame Rates – 60i vs 60p vs 30p vs 24p – what it means – FS Photography + Video | Longmont / Boulder photographer

I don't really know much about video
But 60FPS - FPS stands for Frames Per Second which is related to still images. Such as a camera can do 5fps using the mechanical shutter or 12 with the electronic shutter

If you read the article above the P and I are related to video image capture.

I would keep them separate for understanding.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, that was great.
So in a nutshell what I understood was that 60fps is for images/stills and 60p if the equivalent for video capturing 60 full images per second.

Thanks for the link, that was great.
So in a nutshell what I understood was that 60fps is for images/stills and 60p if the equivalent for video capturing 60 full images per second.
I really don't know. Just looking at the samsung NX500 description from a vendor they use fps all the time. Maybe "p" and "fps" are being used interchangeably. Maybe someone knowledgeable in video technology will provide input.

I remember reading something about how 60p in video equates to 59.xx fps in stills. Ultimately it would be the same for someone like me, but if someone who know can enlighten me I'd really appreciate it.

I do have an Olympus Tough TG-3 camera...I think it does 1080p, but only 30p not 60p. Maybe I should just go with that.

**4k is the standard today. I purchased a Sony a6300 strictly for shooting video so I can shoot everything in 4k and have tons of data to edit**

This so beyond untrue! 1080p is the standard that is a fact! The industry is leaning more towards 4k but its not near there yet. do you need 4k for youtube NO you don't. ask yourself how many people have a 4k monitor for their computer or a 4k tv. don't waste your money until you have a reason to. try a canon T4i or T5i they are in your price range. what you could do is get a mic and external audio recorder and shoot video on your iphone

Last edited:
also to add unless you have a powerful PC with a higher end GPU 4K post production is taxing on most systems.

Most reactions

Back