Canon T3, upgrade or not to upgrade?

If it makes any difference, the Tamron 28-75 2.8 can be had for about $300 used and the 70-200 2.8 can be had for around $800 if you don't get the newest version.

I will be doing some extensive research. I have myself a expensive hobby. lol
Depends on how you look at it though. I've got about 1800 or so invested roughly, but you figure that kept me occupied and entertained for most of the weekends over the past couple of years, and the stuff will probably still be doing so even a few years from now, and we'll that's pretty cheap compared to a lot of other options.

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

What I'm getting at is, I feel I take wonderful pictures, is there a need to update a camera? I have macro, fish eye lenses. But to take it as a career would I need to consider updating? And why.
If people are asking for portraits, what is your portrait lens?

IOW: I think before you worry about a body upgrade, I think you should get a decent portrait lens and some lights. (and stands and modifiers)

What I'm getting at is, I feel I take wonderful pictures, is there a need to update a camera? I have macro, fish eye lenses. But to take it as a career would I need to consider updating? And why.
If people are asking for portraits, what is your portrait lens?

IOW: I think before you worry about a body upgrade, I think you should get a decent portrait lens and some lights. (and stands and modifiers)

Just he kit lens, I didnt think i truly needed another lens for portraits, until i listening and hearing other people on these comments. But I am going to be getting another lens, and I am going to invest in some lighting gears for my shoots. Right now I just take photos of friends and family, but just recently they referred me to people who I dont know and I didn't know if i should take this more towards a career.

SHannon, I looked at your FLickr gallery. You have been tasked with photographing some adorable kids, in nice settings, but the one thing the photos are lacking is really good lighting. You need to get some light onto the eyes, onto the face, and lighten up the shadows with actual light. There are a number of otherwise pretty good children's portraits, but the lighting is not yet up to the standard that a good, TTL-capable or even a low-cost manually adjusted speedlight flash could give you. Or which a good reflector could provide.

SHannon, I looked at your FLickr gallery. You have been tasked with photographing some adorable kids, in nice settings, but the one thing the photos are lacking is really good lighting. You need to get some light onto the eyes, onto the face, and lighten up the shadows with actual light. There are a number of otherwise pretty good children's portraits, but the lighting is not yet up to the standard that a good, TTL-capable or even a low-cost manually adjusted speedlight flash could give you. Or which a good reflector could provide.

Thank you for the advice, so I should just focus on my lighting, but do you see a need to get a new camera?

Get a single umbrella and stand. And a flash. This was shot last weekend, with an 8-megapixel Canon 20D and a 20 year-old used $40 Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens on an adapter. This is just one, 43-inch convertible umbrella.
_MG_9535web1600-2.JPG

Get a single umbrella and stand. And a flash. This was shot last weekend, with an 8-megapixel Canon 20D and a 20 year-old used $40 Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens on an adapter. This is just one, 43-inch convertible umbrella. View attachment 107180

awesome! know any good websites that sell them? I am looking online right now lots of different packages and kits.

I tried to work on my lighting, did a Senior shoot last week. Photos in Flickr Shannonmelek

Most reactions

Back