Central Park New York, C&C please

rmagers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are few shots I took tonight while in NYC on business. I didn't have room to pack my tripod so these were taken with a monopod. Therefore, they may not be as sharp as they could have been. Any C&C welcome.

C&C per req:

1. I like the idea, but I think it would be much stronger if you cropped the brighter foreground away. The eye is naturally drawn to bright areas, and this takes it away from the subject.

2. This one would be very cool IF there was something at the far end. The brick pattern makes awesome leading lines, but it really leads to nothing.

3. A nice enough city-scape, but to be honest, I'm not seeing anything that really grabs me.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

C&C per req:

1. I like the idea, but I think it would be much stronger if you cropped the brighter foreground away. The eye is naturally drawn to bright areas, and this takes it away from the subject.

~John
6346562858_8724d0246f_z.jpg
[/URL] IMGP9015 #3 by rmagers, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is a cropped version of #1.

#2: I agree someone / something at the end would really make it pop.
#3: I liked the reflection in the lake as well as the sky. What could be done different to add to it?

#3: I liked the reflection in the lake as well as the sky. What could be done different to add to it?
I think stitching several images together to form a panorama would have greatly increased the strength of the image.

1 is a little too dark, 2 is real blurry at the end, 3 is perfect in my opinion.

with 1, I actually like the bright foreground, as it gives some travel. Since the bright foreground attracts the eye, you end up moving back and forth between the foreground and the person. The person is strong and mysterious enough that you can't not look at it. Especially since he is enclosed in a circle, which will naturally draw the eye towards the middle of the circle.

In the cropped version, I think it's very initially more satisfying, but I'm kind of done with it after a few seconds. Whereas the original got more eye time. TO me the original version of 1 has a story, whereas the cropped version is a sort of cool image. I might try it in B&W as well, since the color adds little if anything and the B&W might be able to make it a more stark image with more drama.

2 does nothing for me. The end is too blurry, the tunnel is kind of boring, and the flash is really obvious. I think it's a good idea in theory, it jus didn't work out here. I think this is an image where you'd need a tripod, something going on at the end of the tunnel and a REALLY EXPENSIVE lighting setup to pull it off well.

3 is nice and satisfying, but doesn't stand out.

Here's just a quick take on #1: tunnelsilhelp by franklinrabon, on Flickr

I think the natural tendency would be to try to brighten it up, but I think it actually works a little better darker. If you lighten it, it's just meh, but darker, it can work, though some people won't care for it at all. The darkness and contrast, combined with the sepia enhance the atmosphere of it, which is what I think is the image's biggest strength, the mystery surrounding the person.

Not bad photos, but aside from the C&C, what the hell were you doing in Central Park after dark? I grew up in NYC and would never dream of doing that except in a big crowd to/from a concert or some other event, or maybe just cutting across a corner of it.

Not bad photos, but aside from the C&C, what the hell were you doing in Central Park after dark? I grew up in NYC and would never dream of doing that except in a big crowd to/from a concert or some other event, or maybe just cutting across a corner of it.

I love the comment. That was what my wife thought as well. It was a beautiful night and i just has to enjoy it. I will certainly keep that in mind on my next trip.

All... Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I love the way folks here give good constructive C&C.

FJ Thanks for the edit. I like what you have done.

Most reactions

Back