closeoutdigital.com??

So now you want to sell pictures?

View attachment 67162
Don't really care if I do or not actually but it could be mild entertainment. I have managed to get rid of one. I am pondering sending the wife down to the sidewalk art festival with ten or so for the entertainment factor. If she makes fifty bucks on a few its beer money.

yup, get a d7100
and have fun learning, selling, etc.

well yeah. And im not much of a photographer so I don't think like one but more in dollars and cents. "what is your budget" on a particular item is actually a tough question for me. I look at overall money and budget and basically run on cash and lines of credit. Keep track of what goes in and what comes out and my yearly tally to make sure im in the black. so I kind of look at things from a entire budget perspective and in thousands not so much on a single item budget. And just try to buy things below normal retail and stick to what I cant justify while making sure more money comes in and is shoved away than going out. ill cut a coupon on oil changes for cars but eat ten grand somewhere else. Its all relative. Bought another snowblower the other day because it was a seasonal markdown and I figured I had a use for it. I didn't really give myself a "budget" for it though It just clicked in my mind when I saw the markdown was good figured it served the purpose as a backup and I bought it. I didn't give myself a "snowblower" budget though.

I guess from that perspective maybe the best thing to do is think of it in terms of fun time vrs $$. For example, I spend usually at least one day a week if not two (my weekend) out taking pictures. Normally it's both days but occasionally it will just be one. So if I were to take the amount I spent on lens - $700, and look at it from the perspective that I'm using it bascially 96 days a year, or roughly 768 hours a year, basically I'm spending about a little over a dollar an hour on my hobby and that's if I only keep an use the lens for a year. Not a whole lot of hobbies that are that cheap. Now if I used the lens less or bought a more expensive lens of course the equation would change, but in the long run as often as I use the lens and as much enjoyment as I get out of it I still think it was well worth what I spent.

But really nobody can tell you what the "right" amount of money is to spend on something like this, that's something you kind of have to figure out for yourself based on your needs, your wants and your disposable income.
EXACTLY!!. And buying a camera and equipment for me is pretty much a one shot deal. Cross it off my to do list and move on to the next thing on my list. Few years anyway. Long as it serves its purpose ill keep it years unless it gets broke or dies. Work on a portfolio and maybe sell a few, take pic of the family or video events, play with it mostly. Really all in fun and for kicks. Something to take on vacations... I don't plan on buying one every year. About the only real business use I have used a camera for is taking pictures of a apartment to have evidence of why I kept a tenants security deposit or dealing with subcontractors that screwed up and taking pictures of damage they did..

edit: reading what I wrote. thinking I don't do a lot of business and prop maint anymore. And it would only be used for business purposes like .001 percent of the time. I wonder if I could still fly a camera as a business expense and take the write off.....hmmm.

Well there are no rules that say if your running a business that you have to bust your fanny doing it. Setting up a DBA and a self-proprietership wouldn't be exceedingly difficult, and it might have a few other advantages as well.

I guess from that perspective maybe the best thing to do is think of it in terms of fun time vrs $$. For example, I spend usually at least one day a week if not two (my weekend) out taking pictures. Normally it's both days but occasionally it will just be one. So if I were to take the amount I spent on lens - $700, and look at it from the perspective that I'm using it bascially 96 days a year, or roughly 768 hours a year, basically I'm spending about a little over a dollar an hour on my hobby and that's if I only keep an use the lens for a year. Not a whole lot of hobbies that are that cheap. Now if I used the lens less or bought a more expensive lens of course the equation would change, but in the long run as often as I use the lens and as much enjoyment as I get out of it I still think it was well worth what I spent.

But really nobody can tell you what the "right" amount of money is to spend on something like this, that's something you kind of have to figure out for yourself based on your needs, your wants and your disposable income.
EXACTLY!!. And buying a camera and equipment for me is pretty much a one shot deal. Cross it off my to do list and move on to the next thing on my list. Few years anyway. Long as it serves its purpose ill keep it years unless it gets broke or dies. Work on a portfolio and maybe sell a few, take pic of the family or video events, play with it mostly. Really all in fun and for kicks. Something to take on vacations... I don't plan on buying one every year. About the only real business use I have used a camera for is taking pictures of a apartment to have evidence of why I kept a tenants security deposit or dealing with subcontractors that screwed up and taking pictures of damage they did..

edit: reading what I wrote. thinking I don't do a lot of business and prop maint anymore. And it would only be used for business purposes like .001 percent of the time. I wonder if I could still fly a camera as a business expense and take the write off.....hmmm.

Well there are no rules that say if your running a business that you have to bust your fanny doing it. Setting up a DBA and a self-proprietership wouldn't be exceedingly difficult, and it might have a few other advantages as well.
I already have one. I just don't really do it anymore. But technically for legal purposes I still do and still have a city permit etc. I had a office too but I shut it down I wasn't making enough it had to go. And no regrets there my headache level has dwindled substantially. But printers faxes ink paper trucks equipment. write all that crap off.

I already have one. I just don't really do it anymore. But technically for legal purposes I still do and still have a city permit etc. I had a office too but I shut it down I wasn't making enough it had to go. And no regrets there my headache level has dwindled substantially. But printers faxes ink paper trucks equipment. write all that crap off.

Yup, and if you "repurpose" your DBA no reason why you can't start doing the same with camera equipment. As a business your not required to make a profit, or even show that you made any effort to sell your product.. lol

Yup, and if you "repurpose" your DBA no reason why you can't start doing the same with camera equipment. As a business your not required to make a profit, or even show that you made any effort to sell your product.. lol
im not sure how many years you can go not showing a profit. I am only running about 8k a year right now profit on paper from that side of it. If I didn't have a regular job they would probably wonder how I was paying my light bill.

i think it's 3 of 5 years then they'll audit you
but check the IRS website for info ... consult an accountant / tax counsel, etc

A corporation is required by law to show a profit once every 5 years. For a sole proprietership, well not much in the way of rules there but it's generally a good idea to keep good records and show at least some income for the business, even if it isn't enough to show a profit.

A corporation is required by law to show a profit once every 5 years. For a sole proprietership, well not much in the way of rules there but it's generally a good idea to keep good records and show at least some income for the business, even if it isn't enough to show a profit.
on the bright side. sort of went through that three years ago. Flagged for unclaimed income from a 1099. But after numerous phone calls, assigning me a case manager, and a appeal to bring it in for mediation they were actually very nice to me. The irs was actually nice. They cut down my payback substantially and cut me a break. Could be because they just got sick of dealing with me and didn't want me to drag it out but they were very nice I cant complain. what is amusing too is that I actually make extra money with my wife doing peoples taxes for a side pocket change.

Avoid this company like the plague. They tried to pull the bait and switch on me a few years ago. Promptly stopped the credit card transaction. Research shows they are on their 3rd or 4th company name.

Avoid this company like the plague. They tried to pull the bait and switch on me a few years ago. Promptly stopped the credit card transaction. Research shows they are on their 3rd or 4th company name.

Thanks I will and I am. I actually found a good deal on a 7100 and a lens, but I cant seem to click buy. Because I really have doubts im going to like the camera even though I like the price. Found a decent price on a 610 too but looking at my basket and final price the camera lens and assorted crap im near three k.. sigh...
The 7100 is less than half of that. I have a migraine from searching websites now I need a drink. And I need a black Friday deal. if I could get that 3k down to 2200 I would have checked out already.

I don't really have a budget except how much im willing to carry with me and risk losing or breaking.

Thanks I will and I am. I actually found a good deal on a 7100 and a lens, but I cant seem to click buy. Because I really have doubts im going to like the camera even though I like the price. Found a decent price on a 610 too but looking at my basket and final price the camera lens and assorted crap im near three k.. sigh...
The 7100 is less than half of that. I have a migraine from searching websites now I need a drink. And I need a black Friday deal. if I could get that 3k down to 2200 I would have checked out already.

Now I'm really confused.

I don't really have a budget except how much im willing to carry with me and risk losing or breaking.

Now I'm really confused.
Me too, I just cant seem to part with three k for a little square black box and a cylindrical device. I feel like im being robbed looking at it. It probably cost them three hundred bucks to make the thing. And now my wife is pissed off at me because I spent four hours searching websites, for prices, specs and coupon codes looking for another little black box.

yup, get a d7100
and have fun learning, selling, etc.
probably should update this.

View attachment 67923

still haven't used it. took the pick and put it back in the box. Im the first one on here to say the dslr is dead and that I don't like them. But I bought it anyway. Like someone else on here just recently. Logically, it just made sense. Cliché as this camera is. I looked at must be a hundred cameras online and fifty in person. I kept coming back to it even though it really didn't have what I was looking for? But the housing, motor, available lenses for it, the build, the price, the fact it is so common I can probably still find a lense or battery to fit it in twenty years if it is still around(not the I plan too). it just made sense.

went to a semi local retailer. Took about a fourty minute drive. They matched online deals as much as they could. They didn't do bundles, so, kind of made one for me after a little persuading and talking to them. They started off just saying they could order one because they sold body only. But ended up putting together a Nikon bag, the 7100, the 140, a 50, wifi adaptor, two high speed cards, and a couple books on using it for a little under 1700. which is a little more than I saw it online.

I probably paid more than I would have online, in fact I know I did, but I don't think by a huge amount. They had other lenses they were willing to work on with me too to put in, but I hadn't really thought enough about lenses enough so after a half hour I kind of told them I had enough. still haven't used it. Its in the box. kind of still thinking about it. It isn't a import though. 100% u.s.a with a warrantee thrown in.

Almost forgot. Thank you all for your help. I might be needing more of it figuring this thing out and buying other crap as time goes on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back