Coworker selling me Leica M2?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't know much about old film cameras but I've heard a lot of good things about the old Leicas. My coworker wants to sell me his M2 for $150. I don't know if it works or not but he's going to let me borrow it this weekend and try it out.

Is this a good deal? Any other thoughts?

Screenshot_20181019-134123~2-720x718.png Screenshot_20181019-134134~2-720x761.png

It is such a good deal you would be ripping the guy off royally. Speaking of which… The price is so low that makes me wonder what the history of the camera is. Is your coworker a total idiot? The camera is worth way more than 150 bucks.

If it works and includes a lens, you won't get hurt.

I did see one for $139 with a lens, but all the others (body only) were significantly higher.

It is such a good deal you would be ripping the guy off royally. Speaking of which… The price is so low that makes me wonder what the history of the camera is. Is your coworker a total idiot? The camera is worth way more than 150 bucks.

Haha, well if that's the case, sounds like a deal I should hop on.

According to him he's never used it. He bought it, put it in a pelican case, and it's been there ever since.

Is there any way I can make sure it works before getting film developed? My local lab said it would take 2-3 weeks, and I don't want to leave him hanging.

Umm, @Derrel is soooo right.
Looks like it has a Summicron 50mm f/2.0 ... so I would guess you are missing a 0 in that price ... $1500.00 would sound more like it.
If it is is actually $150.00, then take it and I will offer you double just to take it off your hands so you don't have to bother with a film camera :1219:

I have an M3 double stroke which I got from a portrait photographer/camera store owner before he closed up his retail shop. He'd used (and serviced) it himself and I saw photos he'd taken with it. It's missing a bit of vulcanite which I can live with (this camera has had a life!).

I find it tricky to load. I already had a Konica rangefinder I'd used quite a bit, which took some getting used to when I bought it; I find rangefinders quite different than using SLRs. I ended up getting a digital camera that uses the same Leica M mount that also works with a Voigtlander rangefinder I have, so the lens itself was worth it.

I can't remember how much I paid, at least several hundred, and that was one heckuva bargain then.

This camera must be a doorstop or the current owner hasn't got a clue of the value.

That is a good deal, especially with the lens.

Would you consider it worth buying even if it doesn't work?

I'm not sure how to test it.

The M2 in decent condition worth around 800 to 900 dollars. The Sumicron is worth double that in decent condition. Even the body at $150 is worth it in crap condition. You could send it to Youxi Ye and you would get a perfectly working, valuable M2 back. YYeCAMERA

The M2 is a super camera. Common issues are curtain shutter, misaligned rangefinder patch, sluggish shutter speeds.

The Summicron is a super, high end 50mm lens that has superior micro contrast, line draw, and image rendering. It is well worth getting that services as well.

If I were you and its legit, I would snag that in a hot minute and send it to YYe. It will be well worth it and an excellent investment.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've done some testing of it based on this list. And there are just two things I can't figure out - what should I be looking for #8 - the stop down mechanism? I did what it said, but nothing stood out to me, and I'm not sure what to actually look for.

I also used this list and wasn't sure what they mean by bullet 5, in regards to the 2nd curtain. I'm not sure what "seam" I should be looking for.

Also, on the 1 second shutter speed, after the shutter snaps, there's a whirring noise, and I'm not sure if that's normal.

Thoughts?

Most reactions

Back