Coworker selling me Leica M2?

Would you consider it worth buying even if it doesn't work?

I'm not sure how to test it.
Yes, probably. They can be fixed if it needs something.

Quick test: Open the back and fire the shutter a few times. You will have to trip the film advance lever to be able to cock the shutter again each time. Do it on a fast setting, and one or two slow settings. Heck, do it on each setting. Set it to the slowest shutter and try to gauge or estimate if the time is correct or fairly close.

Look for any bent or broken parts inside and out.

Check the light seal around the perimeter of the back. (note; this can be replaced)

Try the lens mount and see if there is any obvious problem (like grating, bent flanges, etc.)

Check the light meter movement by pointing the lens at something bright and dim.

For $150, just buy it and run as fast as you can

Whirling noise ... slow shutter speed gears to keep the shutter open.

But it's after the curtains finish closing. Is that normal?

Would you consider it worth buying even if it doesn't work?

I'm not sure how to test it.
Yes, probably. They can be fixed if it needs something.

Quick test: Open the back and fire the shutter a few times. You will have to trip the film advance lever to be able to cock the shutter again each time. Do it on a fast setting, and one or two slow settings. Heck, do it on each setting. Set it to the slowest shutter and try to gauge or estimate if the time is correct or fairly close.

Look for any bent or broken parts inside and out.

Check the light seal around the perimeter of the back. (note; this can be replaced)

Try the lens mount and see if there is any obvious problem (like grating, bent flanges, etc.)

Check the light meter movement by pointing the lens at something bright and dim.

Thanks for the help!

I did try that and it seemed to be accurate. I couldn't see any movement on the fastest settings, but I'm assuming that's because it's so fast. Nothing looks broken. There's no light meter, so I can't check that lol

I've had the running gear noise in some of my old rangefinders ... I would guess that is not normal for an M2.

It does sound pretty "sound", well worth the $150 even with the cost of a CLA from Ye.

Buy it and buy him lunch. Run a roll of drug store color film through and see what happens.

Buy it and buy him lunch. Run a roll of drug store color film through and see what happens.
I'd skip the lunch, he may change his mind. ..lol

One cannot open the back of a Leica rangefinder. The back does not open. The bottom comes off, but the back doesn't open. It's a weird system. Leica developed "bottom loading".

It doesn't even have to work, just carrying it around your neck all weekend is worth $150.

Your coworker seemingly doesn’t know the value and is the only person in America who has never heard of Google. Not a good move for you to take advantage of their ignorance.

I'll come right out and say it. Have you considered that this camera might possibly be stolen? I have no basis for this thought, except that the asking price is 10 times lower than the street value of an M2 with any of several variants of the 50mm Summicron. How would someone come into possession of a camera this expensive, this old, and this nice, and not know the approximate street value of it?

I'll come right out and say it. Have you considered that this camera might possibly be stolen? I have no basis for this thought, except that the asking price is 10 times lower than the street value of an M2 with any of several variants of the 50mm Summicron. How would someone come into possession of a camera this expensive, this old, and this nice, and not know the approximate street value of it?
Alternatively it could be a fake; it's not unknown for someone to take a Fed or Zorki and "make it" a Leica...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back