Coworker selling me Leica M2?

I'll come right out and say it. Have you considered that this camera might possibly be stolen? I have no basis for this thought, except that the asking price is 10 times lower than the street value of an M2 with any of several variants of the 50mm Summicron. How would someone come into possession of a camera this expensive, this old, and this nice, and not know the approximate street value of it?
Alternatively it could be a fake; it's not unknown for someone to take a Fed or Zorki and "make it" a Leica...

That only works to a point. The Feds and Zorkis were based on earlier models. I have a Zorki 6, one of the latest models. No one is going to mistake that for an M2.

I'll come right out and say it. Have you considered that this camera might possibly be stolen? I have no basis for this thought, except that the asking price is 10 times lower than the street value of an M2 with any of several variants of the 50mm Summicron. How would someone come into possession of a camera this expensive, this old, and this nice, and not know the approximate street value of it?
Alternatively it could be a fake; it's not unknown for someone to take a Fed or Zorki and "make it" a Leica...

That only works to a point. The Feds and Zorkis were based on earlier models. I have a Zorki 6, one of the latest models. No one is going to mistake that for an M2.
Fair enough, but there is still a market in faking Leicas. Granted it's unlikely, but...

Fair enough, but there is still a market in faking Leicas. Granted it's unlikely, but...

True.

I'll come right out and say it. Have you considered that this camera might possibly be stolen?

considering he lives in Richmond....

Nah, he's not the kind of guy to do that. At least not knowingly. He got the camera from a family estate about 30 years ago, put it in a Pelican case, and never touched it since.

He's aware it's worth more than that, but he said he wanted to give me a deal.

And the camera seems to work well. I got to play with it this weekend, and I met with a local Leica guy who looked it over and said it's in good condition, and legit. Said to not even bother with a CLA.

You are a very lucky man !!!
Ah, your guy doesn't have any other Leica's he wants to offload ?

Nah, he's not the kind of guy to do that. At least not knowingly. He got the camera from a family estate about 30 years ago, put it in a Pelican case, and never touched it since.

And the camera seems to work well. I got to play with it this weekend, and I met with a local Leica guy who looked it over and said it's in good condition, and legit. Said to not even bother with a CLA.
Awesome. I figured it was legit. You are a stand up guy, it seems anyway. I figured you'd be smart enough to know if it was hot or not it's why I never said anything about it. I am envious, it should be a lovely experience for you. Are you can buy meters for it to stick I top or just Sunny 16 it. That's what I'd do.

Awesome. I figured it was legit. You are a stand up guy, it seems anyway. I figured you'd be smart enough to know if it was hot or not it's why I never said anything about it. I am envious, it should be a lovely experience for you. Are you can buy meters for it to stick I top or just Sunny 16 it. That's what I'd do.

Yeah, I'm looking at the Leicameter 2. But I might just use my D750's light meter haha. Or just wing it sunny 16 style.

As for the experience, it's been great so far! I'm going to make another post about that soon.

Yeah, I'm looking at the Leicameter 2. But I might just use my D750's light meter haha. Or just wing it sunny 16 style.

As for the experience, it's been great so far! I'm going to make another post about that soon.
There is this one, it reviewed well. Pricey nut if you want a small meter...
Check out what I found on B&H Photo Video Voigtlander VC Speed Meter II (Black) 45AD104B B&H Photo Video

Check out what I found on B&H Photo Video Voigtlander VC Speed Meter II (Black) 45AD104B B&H Photo Video

Gosh man... Leica accessories aren't cheap! Light meters, cases, straps... all expensive stuff.

Gosh man... Leica accessories aren't cheap! Light meters, cases, straps... all expensive stuff.
Nope but sunny 16 is

Nope but sunny 16 is

Yeah, but I at least want a strap and case!

Nope but sunny 16 is

People that buy Leica can afford bling. Welcome to the world of more money than brains. You are officially a member now.

Nope but sunny 16 is

People that buy Leica can afford bling. Welcome to the world of more money than brains. You are officially a member now.

Haha, what have I gotten myself into?

That is exactly the reason why I currently do not own a Leica M ... even having the old Leica LTM will cost you an arm ... resist the urge to expand into Leica-space !!!

Most reactions

Back