Crazy Pro photographer in my area, what do you think?

Personally, I think he said it in a way that is a little harsh, but I can see how a pro could get a little aggitated. Having aunt bertha standing in the middle of your shot almost everytime you turn around can be a bit much...been there, done that!

I can understand that no one should be around taking pictures while the "official" setup shots are being done, it can get really distracting if too many people are standing around. It is up to the photographer to control the situation. On the other side after the ceremony, when the coupld are walking out of the church, and on the steps, and reception it is next to impossible to have a no camera rule, it just won't happen. It may also be his weak attempt at trying to raise himself above the rest and make himself appear more important using it as a marketing tool.

It is usually on the contract but usually during the formal sessions. You cant expect anyone not to bring cameras during the ceremony or receptions.

We recently had an issue where the aunt of the bride brought her studio in a bag, and proceeded to whip out her D3 and 2.8 glass. She had been asked to photograph the wedding but declined. She thought she'd get away with it, but failed to realize she didn't know me so well. I can tolerate a few uncle Tom's with digital whatevers, but when you are a self admitted, studio owning pro coming into my hired territory... show some respect.

This grey area confuses me. At what point does a camera become unacceptable? I know it's ultimately up to the pro shooting the event and of coarse the bride and groom but is there a general rule of thumb here? I know I would be more likely to get the pro's blessing with my little Kodak than I would with the D7000, a fast prime and an SB900. What would be the middle ground here that would allow me to take the best snapshots without ruffling any feathers?

He doesn't want anyone to show him up with BETTER pictures! ;)

This John Phoenix is a bit of a tool, if i was getting married and he mentioned that to me i would immediately tell him to do one. What's wrong with having ya family and friends taking the candid shots while the pro gets the professional shots.

End of the day if ya a wedding photographer ( in which i have no experience in) ya there to do a job, not to whine and complain about the bride's grandfather whipping out his SLR and snapping some shot's off of the ceremony. If you are a pro, after you edit the pictures and what not they are still gonna look fantastic and personal to the newly married couple, while the pictures takin by the family and friends are going to be more for the public viewing on sites like facebook and flickr.

Im sure this guy has noticed a drop in jobs and hopefully realises he is just alienating himself and driving business away.

We may get less work, but at least our reputation per images shown will not be damaged.

Can someone please explain to me how someone taking shots at a reception with a point and shoot damages the pro photographers reputation per images shown (what the f*** does that even mean?)?

that means the "pro photographer" is likely using a point and shoot as well. only way i could see how a p/s cam would out do a "professional cam"

We may get less work, but at least our reputation per images shown will not be damaged.

Can someone please explain to me how someone taking shots at a reception with a point and shoot damages the pro photographers reputation per images shown (what the f*** does that even mean?)?

that means the "pro photographer" is likely using a point and shoot as well. only way i could see how a p/s cam would out do a "professional cam"

apparently he is using a few Nikon D700's

he says
We shoot with Nikon D700's and from our knowlege and skill put "most" Cannons in the dirt

Is it just me, or does anybody else instantly lose any respect they *might* have had when the "pro" doesn't know the difference between Cannon and Canon?

Is it just me, or does anybody else instantly lose any respect they *might* have had when the "pro" doesn't know the difference between Cannon and Canon?

That was my thought too..

That was my thought too..

me to, just show's the guy ain't as pro as he seems when he doesn't know the difference haha

The more I think about this the more I can't stop laughing.
Sorry, back to shooting my "cannon" now.

Well I did decide to have a good look at the work on his web site and did find some very nice images, however that over processed nature of his photos end up overshadowing the good ones. There are some very basic mistakes in cropping, angles and composition. If this guy is standing on his soap box wanting his fellow "professionals" to join him in his crusade against amateurs taking his business he should start by producing complete professional images. I do agree that there are amateurs that are playing professionals, there are also guys like this that are playing professional and yet making the basic mistakes. I suppose he could call himself a "high end amateur" He needs a few photoshop skills as well, some of the photos are obvious photohsop hack jobs.

I state in my contract that during formals and such that I don't recommend any "Uncle Bobs" to have cameras shooting while I am. And MOST IMPORTANTLY that if "Uncle Bob" does whip his camera out, that I am not held responsible for any botched shots due to other peoples flashes.

That covers my a$$ and usually the groom does a good job of enforcing it, if need be.
This is how I do it as well.

It is usually on the contract but usually during the formal sessions. You cant expect anyone not to bring cameras during the ceremony or receptions.

We recently had an issue where the aunt of the bride brought her studio in a bag, and proceeded to whip out her D3 and 2.8 glass. She had been asked to photograph the wedding but declined. She thought she'd get away with it, but failed to realize she didn't know me so well. I can tolerate a few uncle Tom's with digital whatevers, but when you are a self admitted, studio owning pro coming into my hired territory... show some respect.

This grey area confuses me. At what point does a camera become unacceptable? I know it's ultimately up to the pro shooting the event and of coarse the bride and groom but is there a general rule of thumb here? I know I would be more likely to get the pro's blessing with my little Kodak than I would with the D7000, a fast prime and an SB900. What would be the middle ground here that would allow me to take the best snapshots without ruffling any feathers?

I would say that most of the weddings I have done, there is always at least one guest with the latest and greatest gear. Some of it is gear I would like to own. I would also say that at over half the weddings I have done, I have had at least one guest ask me what settings I was using, or why their shots weren't coming out how they wanted. You know what I do? I tell them. If they don't know how to set their camera, I set it up for them. Then I smile, and give them a card.

We always have guests coming up to us after the wedding telling us how great we were, how professional we were, asking us where they can view or buy the photos, and telling us how different we were than other photographers they have seen. I have just been assisting weddings with Visions in White for about a year now, but I've already seen bridesmaids who were the brides at previous weddings, and brides who were bridesmaids at previous weddings.

If another pro wants to institute a 'no camera better than mine' policy, or even a 'no cameras at all' policy that is fine by me. I like to help guests get shots they can be proud of. And when it's time for them to hire a photographer, they tend to hire a photographer that they know will be courteous and helpful to their guests, and not treat their friends like they are competition.

I think sometimes photographers get so caught up with looking through the lens that they forget that people are watching what they are doing as well. The thing about shooting a wedding is, most of the bride and grooms friends are around the same age and a good majority of them will be having a wedding in the next few years or know people who are. It's just poor business sense to be rude to those guests or their friends.

Just my .02.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back