Everyone thinks they can be a pro! (RANT)

I think that a lot of you "professional photographers" are extremely cynical and that your heads have grown larger than your neck can hold. Frankly I'm tired of the whining and crying about how little johnny is stealing money from the bullies.

Get over yourself - if your work is worth having, then people will buy it. If you're worried about the degradation of "good" photography, then strive harder to produce better photos instead of bitching about it like a bunch of bitter old crones with a chip on your shoulder. People will forever buy expensive cameras and call themselves photographers, even if they don't measure up to this standard you so pretentiously call your own. We all start somewhere and I think that a lot of you forget that.

It's not up to you to decide who gets to be a photographer and it certainly isn't up to you to tell me I can't charge for my time. If the customer decides she doesn't want to spend $3000 on a wedding photographer, she'll find someone else. Just because you decided to start charging an arm and a leg for your brand doesn't mean she has to buy it. The customers decision is the final word, not yours. And don't try to tell me the customer doesn't know what she wants - you can eat me.

I don't call myself a photographer because I don't like to associate with pompous ass clowns who give everyone else a bad name because they can't stop whining about crap like this.

/rant

lol... so what do you call yourself... a mechanic with a camera?
Talk about pompous... and this coming from someone who bought their FIRST camera in May 2008... lol !

Well to quote you, Jerry...I'm "Just a very enthusiastic "kinda-sorta" amateur with a Nikon". But to clarify, when I said I don't call myself a photographer, I meant that when people ask me what I do, I don't tell them I'm a photographer - even though by definition, I guess I am since I have a camera and I take photographs.

I didn't say I was better than anyone else or that I'm even all that good. I just like taking pictures. I don't let the compliments I do get go to my head.

I don't think I was pompous at all since I'm not the one whining about how everyone with a camera considers themselves a pro. And I see you visited my website. I appreciate that ;)

And I see you visited my website. I appreciate that ;)

I did. I saw something that I liked a LOT:

"-Weddings-
Although in recent months, I have been asked to shoot weddings, I am temporarily suspending this service as I hone my skills.
That being said, if you would like me to attend your wedding. I will bring my camera and take pictures for free. My only condition is that you hire a primary photographer. "

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Your Costco bought D80 kit, that super great best bang for the buck 50 1.8 and your 5 months of shooting “TONS” of photos of your family does not even come close to making you a “photographer”

Uhm. No.

I think that a lot of you "professional photographers" are extremely cynical and that your heads have grown larger than your neck can hold. Frankly I'm tired of the whining and crying about how little johnny is stealing money from the bullies.

No kidding. Nevermind that some of the "professional work" I've seen here and elsewhere can be copied by anyone given the time and patience to learn the basic in's and out's of their camera and their flash set up.

Photography is a subjective sport. Sure there are glaring technical weaknesses that anyone can agree with, but the great majority of what is considered "art" is really up to personal sensibilities. Suggesting otherwise and that there is some standard is a crock of poopoo that peolpe are trying to promulgate to make their "art" more exclusive and thus more valuable.

I didn't say I was better than anyone else or that I'm even all that good. I just like taking pictures. I don't let the compliments I do get go to my head.

Really? Cuz I think you just called a lot of us "pompous ass clowns", which, while a deeply hysterical insult, didn't strike me as terribly complimentary. :sexywink:

Really? Cuz I think you just called a lot of us "pompous ass clowns", which, while a deeply hysterical insult, didn't strike me as terribly complimentary. :sexywink:

Calling someone a pompous ass clown has nothing to do with stroking my own ego. I'm glad you got a kick out of it though

Calling someone a pompous ass clown has nothing to do with stroking my own ego. I'm glad you got a kick out of it though

Well, actually it is.
Whenever we put someone else down, we are in effect building up our own ego with the between the lines implication of our statement, which is "I am better than that 'pompous ass clown'.

We all do it, but let's see it for what it is.

^^^

Exactly.

Look, this whole thread is wicked unconstructive and has been so for a long time now. It's a huge emotional argument based all around whether or not someone is allowed to don a badge with a particular label on it.

Let's just drop it.

This thread makes otter sad
IMG_1961.jpg

please think of the otters and end this thread

That otter has no business calling itself a professional otter.

Well that depends. How long has the otter been an otter? How much does the otter charge for his/her otter services? Maybe the otter is said because a less expensive otter stole an otter job from him/her.

Last edited:
Damned cheap otters.

Well that depends. How long has the otter been an otter? How much does the otter charge for his/her otter services? Maybe the otter is said because a less expensive otter stole an otter job from him/her.

No offense, but you're being otterly ridiculous.

Yeah, I said it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back