First DSLR

Kusca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been looking at getting a DSLR for a several months and still cannot decide on what to get. I will be shooting low light landscaping shots, as well as some non-low light landscaping shots, I will also take portrait shots.

I realize I need something with with good high ISO performance. My friend who has a Canon 5D tells me to get a Full Frame camera, however I cannot afford neither Canon's nor Nikon's full frame entry options, I would rather spend the difference on a Lens, as I cannot be the only person to shoot these kind of shots with a APS-C sized sensor.
I am also aware of the crop factor that works against my wide angle lenses.
I was thinking about getting either a:

D7000

Pros- Lens options (I want to get the Tokina 11-16mm wide angle, also I eventually want the Nikon 14-24mm F2.8, I also want to get the Nikon 50mm 1.8, and maybe the 55-200mm)
-Price (my wallet wants to go this direction right now)
Cons - Not fully weather sealed like the next option
- Does not have as good as a sensor score as the next option

Pentax K-5

Pros - full weather sealed with lens(WR lenses) (I live in -30 degree celsius weather, plus when I travel to places with fair bit of rain and I would like to shoot in these conditions)
- In body stabilization, nice to have with those wide angle lenses that do not have I.S, so I do not have to either carry a tripod or have to increase my shutter speed), however in the low light shots I think it does not matter right, I am going to have to bring my tripod with me?

Cons- Price almost $400 more than the Nikon (I would rather invest in Lenses)
- Continous shooting does 6 FPS but stops after 3 seconds, Nikon does not have this problem
-Lenses both a con, and a pro, 14mm Pentax is the only wide angle I can think of, and if I ever wanted to get a higher end Full frame camera I would have a nice collection of Pentax lenses I could not use with my new Nikon or Canon Full frame, pro though is the WR lenses.

Canon 7D pros:
-responsiveness
-feels the best in my hands although I have yet tried the D7000

cons:
- Worst sensor option
-worst low light performance
-The most expensive option

Can you guys help me decide. Should I wait and get a full frame camera? Again this is my first DSRL and my first real focus on photography I do not want to take a big financial risk.

Last edited:
Nikon is the current king of high ISO performance, though if you shoot landscape with good light, you don't need to worry about high ISO.

Advantage of Canon over Nikon is that its cheaper to get higher quality lens. Advantage of Nikon and Canon over Pentax is that there are more lens to choose from.

If the lens don't have VR built in, you will still need the tripod for panoramic shots.

Based on the three options you've showed above, I'd go with the Nikon D7000 (funny as it comes from a Canon user). My Canon t1i isn't weather sealed, and I've been all around with this kit (heavy rains, snow) and never had any problems. If you're careful enough and don't drop it in the snow or water, you'll be alright imo.

Have you thought of a used Nikon D300? Weather-sealed body, metal chassis, excellent high-ISO performance, and a proven, durable camera. I would however skip the 14-24; it's an excellent lens, but it's VERY expensive, and has no filter threads (the main reason I opted for the 16-35). The Tokina 11-16 is one of the outstand gems of the 3rd party world.

Have you thought of a used Nikon D300? Weather-sealed body, metal chassis, excellent high-ISO performance, and a proven, durable camera. I would however skip the 14-24; it's an excellent lens, but it's VERY expensive, and has no filter threads (the main reason I opted for the 16-35). The Tokina 11-16 is one of the outstand gems of the 3rd party world.

I have as a matter of fact I was close to buying it, but I do not know if it means anything or not, but the DXO mark for it's high ISO test it got a very poor score. I was hoping it is different in reality because, since the D7000 came out its price took a plunge.

Stupid question, by D300 we are talking about D300s correct?

Be sure to try both in your hands. I found Nikon's ergonomics,feel button layout and menu structure superior to canon's. But that is a personal perference as they are both great systems. I would only consider the Canon & Nikon as they give the most choices for lenses and accessories.

Very few actually need Full-Frame and make a good living and make Outstanding images in the Dx world. I wouldn't even consider it till my skills and needs warrant Full Frame.

Yes the D7000 or even a new used D90 or D300 would be great grow into cam that will give you what you need for at least the next 2-5 yrs kind of performance and Image IQ.

Don't give Sensor ISO performance such a heavy priority. As it skews decisions when considering overall for real-world performance. And other considerations like controls,features that you will need down the line.

Case in point I got all hung up on the D90 high iso performance when it came out. And yep it is great to get clean iso 3200 images with little or no post NR work. But the reality is that less than 1% of my images are taken at 3200 iso. But is great to know it's there if I need it. What sold me more was bigger lcd, bigger better viewfinder,controls,etc.. Those things I need and use in Every Shot not just when it is needed like High iso ability.

Lenses. Well yep I always recommend starting out entry & cheapest until I define my needs and style and then sell off and step up to what I need. Don't understand why you want the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 and the Nikon 14-24? either one is equal to other pretty much. And if not sure on wide? I would go with the Sigma 10-20 which is the widest and cheapest. And yes the difference between 10mm and 14mm is hugely significant. Especially landscapes. And then can decide if you use Ultra-wide consistently enough to warrant faster and more expensive lens. Many think cool I want it only to find out down the line it's just sitting there in the bag.

The problem with weathered sealing is nobody has any hard data just how much weather vs. Weather sealing. The bad on Nikon's is the Body IS but most lenses are not weathered sealed. So you have a fatal entry point for moisture at the mount.

But I have had my D40,D80,D90 and D200 in up to 20mins of downpours requiring myself and cam needing a good toweling with no ill after effects. Cold also a mute point with carrying extra battery in the pocket.

Nikon D90 or D7000 as good starts or D300s with more build and weatherization and room to grow. And Canon users can point you too maybe some models you haven't consider? But would seriously recommend sticking with Canon or Nikon as they give you the most options,choices New or Used.

On lenses I recommend starting with the kit which now seems to be the 18-105 and use for a bit to help determine what your needs will be. Add a 35mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.8 on the cheap and opens the world to creative and lower light shooting.

Where did you come up with the belief that the 7D has the worst sensor and worst high-ISO performance?

The 7D has the largest sensor, true, but it's also one of the best in the series. The low-light performance is almost exactly the same as with the D7000 (and superior to the Pentax) and the sensor itself has higher IQ.

Don't rule out Sony. Have a look at the A33 and A55, well within your budget and the spec on them is unbeatable for the price. Don't be put off by the lack of Lenses, theres loads of Minolta A mount Lenses to be had 2nd hand. People seem to stick with Nikon or Canon but read the reviews on the Sony's and you won't be disappointed.

I was hoping it is different in reality because, since the D7000 came out its price took a plunge.

The reality:

ROK%20(19).jpg

Why pay more for a name? ;)

I know that's not the reason I chose and continue to choose Nikon, initially it was the fit and function along with performance - and that is holding true still.

I hope you're not saying you aren't paying for the name Sony as well.

Well not when it come to DSLR's as they are still trying the break into the market. You'll pay nearly double for a Nikon or Canon the same spec. Sony are basically offering cut price Camera's to try and get a foothold in the market (with their history i can't see them failing). Have you ever used a Sony?

Yes I have, hated every minute of it... not saying they are bad cameras, I just hated the layout - personal choice. A friend of mine has one, we agreed to swap cameras for a photo walk - that was the first and last time we'll do that. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back