How Are They Where You Live?

Um.......... how would we know?

Sorry, but I've got far more important things to do than spend 178 hours a week examining every court case where I live.

the PO's in my area are fantastic.
any time I ask them if they do any shady stuff they say no.

Me too.

I have been engaged in educational outreach for the past quarter century, to little effect, actually. In general, the police in Iowa are honest, hard-working professional law enforcement officers.

However; it is the people above them that are the real problem.

In your example I would have sided with the resident over the police regardless of what he was claiming. That is because I think some laws are unconstitutional, and just need to be nullified.

Eventually the lying officer will be disciplined internally, and will either learn his lesson or be transferred.

.............Eventually the lying officer will be disciplined internally, and will either learn his lesson or be transferred.

What happens all too often is they are allowed to 'resign' so there's not a blemish on their employment record.

Unfortunately, there may be a bad apple(s) in every barrel. Without some sort of punishment, this activity will continue. Simply closing and sealing the case provides immunity to police. I used to run campaigns, kinda as a hobby, and I had a few judicial elections. I spent a lot of time in courtrooms waiting for the judge to wrap things up in order to have a chat and often we'd also discuss the case being presented. Judges are well aware that cops lie. But there isn't much they can do about it. They lie about big stuff and small stuff. Defendants lie, they lie about big stuff and small stuff. But most first time defendants who do not have a working knowledge, experience of the court system, are flustered by cops lying and are reluctant to defend themselves when a cop does so in court. This was some time ago when I was witnessing cops smiling to themselves while leaving the courtroom and flustered defendants not knowing what to say or what to do. Judges would say that cops were "fudging" on their testimony. I think will all the recent activity of cops and courts and Black Lives Matter and body cams ... the whole enchilada, has opened up people's eyes by shining more light on our judicial system. I think today it is harder for cops to lie in court. I think people are becoming more confrontational against a government system when it become bad, both individually and collectively.

I had a day in court. I was arrested for photographing cops arresting an AP photographer. The cop "fudged" when he testified in court ... when I was called up, I call him a "Goddamn Liar" ... as I was somewhat prepared for that type of testimony. My language and attitude surprised the cop and the judge. The cop was no longer smiling. I was found innocent.

Yet ANOTHER in a long,long,long list of rogue cops...this one a Texas deputy who beat the s**** out of a 12 year-old girl....tackling her and hammer-fisting on her face, as he straddled her prone body, UFC style. Her crime? She petted a dog...so the deputy went ape**** on her. Seriously. Classy cop, no?

A 12-year-old started playing with a dog. A deputy punched her in the face, Texas cops say
Amazing story ... here are some excerpts:

'“I was shocked because I knew he was a detective and I thought that they were held to higher standards that there was no way that that would happen, especially to a 12 year old girl,” the restaurant’s manager, Will Atkins, told CBS Austin. “Nobody has any idea, there was no reasoning, no logical explanation.”

The girl was taken to the hospital and treated for abrasions, bruises and a pulled muscle, and said she “thought she was going to die” during the alleged attack, reported KXAN.'

That cop who beat up the child was fired.

What a horrible story. From a few of the other comments by witnesses, this detective had alcohol on his breath.

It's fine that he was fired (as if that needed debate), but it's not likely the sheriff's department has heard the last of this. The County Sheriff made this statement: "I know this was a tough choice but the right call. WilCo demands professionalism bcuz thats who we are now." That last sentence should give pause. As in, now? Did you not demand professionalism all along? Poor choice of words that will likely come back to haunt them when the lawsuits start.

I noted that the Sheriff fired him because '"there’s a price to pay” for reflecting negatively on the department, he told the paper.' He should have been fired for attacking an innocent child ... not for putting the department in a bad light. Maybe it is just semantics or bad reporting, but the optics are bad.

Do some of them testilie?

‘Testilying’ by Police: A Stubborn Problem

Almost as disturbing is the sealing of court records when police get caught lying and a case is thrown out.

it's a systematic issue.

Cops have absolutely no recourse for bad behavior. they have immunity so long as they claim "I was just doing my job". and they have good union reps and lawyers.

Whenever they do something bad, their superiors investigate them and find they didn't do anything wrong.

And when their infractions happen to be bad enough that they go public and a DA is forced only by public pressure to prosecute one of their own, the grand juries themselves are rigged so the citizens dumb enough to not get out of jury duty are convinced that shooting first then asking question later is actually legal so they acquit and the DA doesn't peruse charges. All while the cop gets a paid vacation of course.

I'm not an attorney but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once!!

There is a tendency to stretch the limit on the "in the line of duty" excuse, but there are cases where they've been prosecuted. Case in point one from 4 days ago in Baltimore Baltimore Police Officer Arrested, Charged With Assault, Misconduct Not all police are like this, the majority are good men and women doing a job. Just because you have a badge, doesn't release you from liability under the same laws, you are supposed to enforce. Failure to prosecute bad officers does the good guys a disservice.

I didn't read the article, but the officer in question has a couple of serious issues if things went down as claimed. One the assault and two the minor status of the girl. Firing is a first step, but charges should be filed.

Most reactions

Back