I have a problem with my Nikon D500.. please help

Photo Lady

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
when i deleted photos on my Nikon D 500 i used my computer to wipe the SD card clean,, when i went on a short trip i decided to wipe the card clean manually .. well it says do you want to delete all photos on the camera.. i say "yes" it does not do it.. I say "No" and it wipes it clean... i contacted the person i purchased the camera from and they said it sounds like a software problem.. i should install updates from Nikon.. does this sound logical... I went to the site and it has many updates.. i don't know which one to choose from the list... thanks for any help offered..

Something doesn't sound quite right. My recommendation is to go into menu then select the little wrench, scroll through to "Reset All Settings" and reset. Note: you have to use the OK button on the lower left side of the screen. In the same wrench menu go to "Format Memory Card", select the card slot with your memory card and reformat it. Again use the OK button lower left. Finally, in the same wrench menu go to "Firmware Version" and check to see if you have the latest. Mine is at C 1.20 and LD 2.018. You can go to Nikonusa.com and in the upper right search for D500 -> D500 Firmware Updates, then just follow the directions. Good luck, it's a great camera especially for wildlife / birding.

Something doesn't sound quite right. My recommendation is to go into menu then select the little wrench, scroll through to "Reset All Settings" and reset. Note: you have to use the OK button on the lower left side of the screen. In the same wrench menu go to "Format Memory Card", select the card slot with your memory card and reformat it. Again use the OK button lower left. Finally, in the same wrench menu go to "Firmware Version" and check to see if you have the latest. Mine is at C 1.20 and LD 2.018. You can go to Nikonusa.com and in the upper right search for D500 -> D500 Firmware Updates, then just follow the directions. Good luck, it's a great camera especially for wildlife / birding.
thanks so much.. will do///

thanks for every ones help.. i will need some time now to figure this out.. i am so afraid of messing with my camera.. so i need to read everything over and over.. before i proceed..

mine is at c 1.15 LD is 2.017

mine is at c 1.15 LD is 2.017
so should it be given the latest version.. could this be the problem..also can SD cards be out of whack... i have been using these two cards a long time...thanks again

Last edited:
The Nikon firmware page it does not mention a fix for reversed Delete options.
As Strodav said ... strange.
Having the current firmware is always a good thing anyway.

I quess i will contact Nikon directly and ask...thanks again..

I quess i will contact Nikon directly and ask...thanks again..

Your current firmware version cannot be causing this issue. Recommend you reset the camera to factory settings. Don't worry, you can't mess anything up by doing this. Then format your memory card. The only possible issue here is you will lose any images you may have on the card. BTW, you might want to re-seat the card in the slot just to make sure it's making good contact. You should be good to go at this point. The firmware update is recommended, but not needed to get your camera going again.

what exactly does the firmware update do to improve the camera.. just curious.. but i will right now do the factory settings.. i think i will also purchase a couple new memory cards.. i won't lose any photos because if i do the opposite that it asks.. do you want to delete all photos..i say NO.. then it deletes all the photos... i thought maybe this was a flaw within the camera.. do you think this will change this flaw...thanks again.. i appreciate it very much....yikes i just reset the settings.. it would not reset when i said yes reset.. i said no and it reset... now i find two items with the same problem

what exactly does the firmware update do to improve the camera.. just curious.. but i will right now do the factory settings.. i think i will also purchase a couple new memory cards.. i won't lose any photos because if i do the opposite that it asks.. do you want to delete all photos..i say NO.. then it deletes all the photos... i thought maybe this was a flaw within the camera.. do you think this will change this flaw...thanks again.. i appreciate it very much....yikes i just reset the settings.. it would not reset when i said yes reset.. i said no and it reset... now i find two items with the same problem

The changes in firmware are usually described on the downloads page. Let's go through this reset, because what you are describing still doesn't make sense to me. Go to the little wrench in menu then use the multi-selector to get to the "Reset all settings" menu then push the OK button to see 2 items, reset (gray background) and Do not reset (yellow background). Use the multi-selector (up) to turn the reset item to yellow then use the multi-selector (right this time) to see the menu "! All settings will be reset. Once reset, settings cannot be restored. OK? " Use the multi-selector (up) to turn the Yes to Red then hit the OK button in the lower left corner of the back of your camera.

The changes in firmware are usually described on the downloads page. Let's go through this reset, because what you are describing still doesn't make sense to me. Go to the little wrench in menu then use the multi-selector to get to the "Reset all settings" menu then push the OK button to see 2 items, reset (gray background) and Do not reset (yellow background). Use the multi-selector (up) to turn the reset item to yellow then use the multi-selector (right this time) to see the menu "! All settings will be reset. Once reset, settings cannot be restored. OK? " Use the multi-selector (up) to turn the Yes to Red then hit the OK button in the lower left corner of the back of your camera.
Yes all this happened except i had to choose no for resetting instead of yes...once i clicked no then the camera told me it was reset to original settings.. i am so baffled that this is happening.. how can i trust any of my settings now..PS..thank you for such a easy accurate description of steps to follow..your a good teacher..such patience... i have all this..but still happening what i described earlier...

Last edited:

Yes all this happened except i had to choose no for resetting instead of yes...once i clicked no then the camera told me it was reset to original settings.. i am so baffled that this is happening.. how can i trust any of my settings now..PS..thank you for such a easy accurate description of steps to follow..your a good teacher..such patience... i have all this..but still happening what i described earlier...

Sorry this didn't work. I know my D500 inside and out and I am as baffled by the problem as you are. One last Hail Mary. Did you try taking out the battery for about 30 seconds then putting in a fully charged battery?

Most reactions

Back