I have Canon T2i. I think I want Sony A55. Help me a little bit?

Meisshi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi friends! My first post. I wanted to find a place where many knowledgeable people could weigh in.
Here's my "story".

I am by no means a pro or know as much as actual photographers, but I wouldn't say I'm a complete beginner either. Four years ago I bought Canon Rebel T2i, which is pretty great, makes awesome photos and is quite professional. Upon buying I did not know that DSLRs are not great with autofocus while filming.. thus my main issue. I'm thinking of selling it and finding a one that is on par, but has a flip out screen and can autofocus while filming. Not for the next cannes film festival, but for a nice youtube video that doesn't have to be refocused or auto-focused with that loud chika-chika-chhh while filming.

What I want:
- a camera with pop out screen
- auto focus while filming
- takes beautiful photos
- still is a DSLR
- has jack for mic

So upon my search I came across the Sony Alpha A55. At first the thought of changing a brand feels scary, but I researched it more and it looks like a great match for me. Do you agree? Though the feeling of buying an "older" camera also kind of sets me away.. maybe something in the same price has been released recently, but since I'm not a photographer-photographer, I'm unaware of new cameras. :/

Extra question: I can't seem to find, is the Sony pop out screen possible to face the front? Like, if I was filming a youtube video of myself, I'd like to see if I'm well framed without running around the camera and checking.

EDIT: Looks like A55 screen doesn't pop out fully to be visible from the front. Though A77 seems to do it?

Last edited:
Greetings, and welcome!

Changing brands is not a big deal after you've done it a few times.

Nikon D5xxx has the flippy screen, too, I'm just not up on video with them.

When shooting video the go to technique for changing focus during the shooting of a clip is called 'follow focus'.
Manual focusing is usually a requisite for professional filmmaking, because autofocus systems may focus on undesired objects, or fail to adjust quickly enough to sudden changes.
Links to more follow focus info and tools.

When shooting video the go to technique for changing focus during the shooting of a clip is called 'follow focus'.
Manual focusing is usually a requisite for professional filmmaking, because autofocus systems may focus on undesired objects, or fail to adjust quickly enough to sudden changes.
Links to more follow focus info and tools.

As I mentioned, I won't be making films for cannes festivals, but just for youtube, so it stays in focus if I get closer to the camera or further away. You literally quoted the opposite of what I was talking about..

DSLR's shoot movies? I need to read manual. I'm being silly, have no clue.

Hi friends! My first post. I wanted to find a place where many knowledgeable people could weigh in.
Here's my "story".

I am by no means a pro or know as much as actual photographers, but I wouldn't say I'm a complete beginner either. Four years ago I bought Canon Rebel T2i, which is pretty great, makes awesome photos and is quite professional. Upon buying I did not know that DSLRs are not great with autofocus while filming.. thus my main issue. I'm thinking of selling it and finding a one that is on par, but has a flip out screen and can autofocus while filming. Not for the next cannes film festival, but for a nice youtube video that doesn't have to be refocused or auto-focused with that loud chika-chika-chhh while filming.

What I want:
- a camera with pop out screen
- auto focus while filming
- takes beautiful photos
- still is a DSLR
- has jack for mic

So upon my search I came across the Sony Alpha A55. At first the thought of changing a brand feels scary, but I researched it more and it looks like a great match for me. Do you agree? Though the feeling of buying an "older" camera also kind of sets me away.. maybe something in the same price has been released recently, but since I'm not a photographer-photographer, I'm unaware of new cameras. :/

Extra question: I can't seem to find, is the Sony pop out screen possible to face the front? Like, if I was filming a youtube video of myself, I'd like to see if I'm well framed without running around the camera and checking.

EDIT: Looks like A55 screen doesn't pop out fully to be visible from the front. Though A77 seems to do it?

Might want to do a bit more research, the Sony apparently does take great video.. for about 7-10 minutes. Then they tend to overheat and shut down.

Tested: Sony A33 and A55 Video Overheating Issue

I don't own a Sony myself of course, so just going by what I've read. But a lot of Sony's models have reported this issue so I'd probably shy away from them if video is your goal.

Last edited:
Few reasons why you don't want to upgrade to the Sony A55
1.This is a very old camera, came out on 2010
2.Low resolution
3.Sony SLT is loosing about 1/3 to 1/2 stop of light due to their basic design
4.Small lens line up

My advice, get the Canon 70D which is an excellent video DSLR with all that you want/need to make video

Another option is Nikon D5500

I would most stronly suggest you dont invest in Sony A. Sony is leaving that system behind. Also they arent DSLRs. They are some weird technology Sony came up when they realized they couldnt compete with Canon, Nikon and Pentax. Now you get an EVF without getting the other advantages of mirrorless, namely smaller cameras, more compact lenses, self calibrating autofocus, etc. So this really is a very dead system with little support, poor technological status and a rather poor selection of lenses.

What you're looking for is Canons dualpixel technology. The 70D was the first DSLR to get it. I think newer Canon DSLRs get it all ? But I dont follow Canons offers too closely. However dualpixel technology does exactly what you're asking for, it will give you quite good autofocus during lifeview and video.

Take a look at the Canpn 70D, probably used. When used with a Canon STM lens, autofocus in video is fast, smooth, silent and reliable.

Take a look at the Canpn 70D, probably used. When used with a Canon STM lens, autofocus in video is fast, smooth, silent and reliable.

I'd agree with both Ido and Solar here, Canon 70d is probably a good one to take a look at assuming it's in your budget.

Most reactions

Back