Farouk Qosay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I have a Canon EOS 70D and I thought that I might need to start working on becoming a freelance photographer.
I would like to know if Canon 70D is good to work with while being a freelance photographer, I haven't really chosen which category I'm gonna be specialized in, but I'm really interested in model photography, real estate photography and advertising photography.
I would also like to know what type of equipment and lenses do you guys recommend me to start with.

Thanks in advance!

I would suppose one could say that when you find what you are after, you will already have it?

Hello and welcome, the only good camers is the one you have with you when opertunity provides the insperation...Good luck

Hello and welcome, the only good camers is the one you have with you when opertunity provides the insperation...Good luck

Thanks for the advice buddy! Appreciate it

but I'm really interested in model photography, real estate photography and advertising photography.

I'm not a Canon user so I'll pass on specifics, but in general terms I'd look at a fast lens in the 85mm range as a prime, and a zoom in the 18-200mm range to start.

but I'm really interested in model photography, real estate photography and advertising photography.

I'm not a Canon user so I'll pass on specifics, but in general terms I'd look at a fast lens in the 85mm range as a prime, and a zoom in the 18-200mm range to start.

Thanks a lot man, appreciate it!

Starts with what you have and learn the craft. You may bump into issues and that additional skills or equipment may be needed.

For example. you are not able to achieve certain type of shots you like. Take the best shot and post it in this forum and ask for advice. Explain others how you like the photo looks and someone should be able to give you some directions. And that maybe equipment upgrade, add more equipment, "how to" type skills or combinations of both.

Unless you have a lot of money to burn, otherwise there is no reasons to buy them now if you already have the basic.
Basic equipment I mean a camera with a standard zoom lens and a hot shoe flash.

Starts with what you have and learn the craft. You may bump into issues and that additional skills or equipment may be needed.

For example. you are not able to achieve certain type of shots you like. Take the best shot and post it in this forum and ask for advice. Explain others how you like the photo looks and someone should be able to give you some directions. And that maybe equipment upgrade, add more equipment, "how to" type skills or combinations of both.

Unless you have a lot of money to burn, otherwise there is no reasons to buy them now if you already have the basic.
Basic equipment I mean a camera with a standard zoom lens and a hot shoe flash.

Thanks for the time man! Appreciate it

It is much more about your business skills, photography skills and reputation than it is about which camera you use. Some red flags went up immediately when I read your post. Develop your skills, build a portfolio and a reputation so you can show potential clients what you can bring to the table. This is probably best done by working for an established photographer for a while. Study the business, so you know what your potential clients are looking for and have reasonable expectations for revenues and costs especially in the very competitive areas you want to reach. I have some friends that work 40 hours at a boring job then do wedding photography on weekends because they can't make enough money with photography alone. Know there are photographers who already have the business you are going for so you are trying to replace them and they are going to fight to keep the business. Believe me, its not about building a website, printing out business cards and waiting for business to come in. Your post screams you have a lot of work to do before you decide what equipment you need. If this is your passion, don't be deterred, but go in with open eyes. Good luck!

Last edited:
Do your research FIRST.
Make a "proper" Business Plan.
If you can't make a proper business plan, don't bother with starting a business, cuz you don't even know if the business will ever turn a profit.
Your business plan will help define what gear you will need.

Last edited:
I would suppose one could say that when you find what you are after, you will already have it?

I am going to stick to what I have said.
Someone with a camera does not make anything but a man with a camera.
I have a fast car and I want to start racing professionally. What do I need?

Not trying to be a donkey, but not really seeing an obvious responce from anyone here.
Dao came close to a decent responce.

All I am implying here is the best help you can give is to be honest and not to be the nice guy.

If the OP is interested in any of this, why is he asking? Obviously he has little knowledge of photography and yet is talking about being what paid togs are called. "Professional".

Read your manual. Practice. Show your photos. If professional togs say you are skilled, and ready to do it....at that time re read ....

Thank you all, I'm not quite there to start a business out of photography, I'm just asking to have an idea and to be realistic about my expectations and collect more and more information and
applying them to my future experience.
I appreciate the time and effort!

Most reactions

Back