I want to buy a 4k camera for video

A great example. But then again that is a very specific use. .........

How many more 'specific uses' would you like to see?

... (forum won´t let me post more than 5 media, so I had to remove these from your post - please watch the videos in the post above)
Let me check:
  • first video: if you want your film to look somewhat professional, you´d always choose a shutterspeed of 1/2 x fps - so in Europe (PAL) that´s 1/50th, in the US (NTSC) that´s 1/60th so that´s not a big deal with these settings.
    of course that would require ND filters outdoor, which not many are using. But if the OP is going the more professional route which I think he will, he´d consider that. Other than that he will be indoors, not on a plane and have no issues to set 1/50th without ND filters.
  • two and three - well yes that happens if somebody is wildly rotating the camera on a tripod left and right - I´d say that is specific use ;). Sure it does happen going only one direction too, but you´d only do that for a very short time - maybe a second or even a fraction. Otherwise you´ll end up with a sick audience. And that second, maybe 1 or 2 percent of your audience will realize (especially if you are filming in a way that the audience doesn´t concentrate too much on the background)
  • fourth video: at 1:45 the speaker says: "at first glance it looks both cameras are capturing the sequence in the same way". Well, usually you watch the footage and don´t look at frozen frames, so the first glance is exactly what most people do.
  • fifth video: well yes that sure is weird. But usually your audience looking at that wouldn´t mind at all. If they wouldn´t have somebody point you at they probably wouldn´t even realize. That´s the point I was trying to make. Most people are no professional filmmakers, they watch movies different than we do.
On the other hand there are these kind of videos (not mine and probably a bit exaggerated, but quite to the point):

The interesting thing is that I couldn´t quickly find a depth of field comparison videocamera vs DSLR. That´s cool because as soon as the weather gets better here, I´ll do a short comparison between Sony PMW EX1 Videocamera (1/2" Sensor) vs DSLRs crop and fullframe vs mirrorless crop and fullframe. I need to go charging the PMW EX1 right away, because I haven´t used it for two years ;).

I don´t say videocameras are bad and I don´t say DSLRs are bad - either one is good in their own way, and it´s good to show the people the different aspects to make an educated decision on what is best for their needs. I prefer to shoot cameras with full frame sensors (Sony A7II mirrorless series) and don´t mind the rolling shutter in most situations (in fact I can think of only one situation when I dumped the footage). Here is a wedding I recently shot that would look totally different, wouldn´t have Canon decided to present the 5D Mark II a few years ago and open the field of shallow depth for filmmakers on a tighter budget. Go, find the rolling shutter. It is there, but does it distract from anything? Is tbe shallow depth on the other hand adding something to the movie? Decide for yourself:

Edited for formatting

This is the type of video I want to make.

Cool, I like it. Quite a few closeups though - if you want to get that close, you need a macro lens.
I think the sony a6000 is really a great camera for that - compared to other DSLRs, or mirrorless it has a really fast continuous autofocus for filming, I am not so sure about autofocus on macro lenses though. The video you show has quite a lot of out of focus moments, where the focus didn´t work as intended.
And one more thing: regarding tripods: you get what you pay for. If you want to track a fish that close you need one with a good fluid head. These are rather expensive though. Maybe you´d be better off with a brushless gimbal - you can combine slider and tripod in one device - it needs some practice though. But then again that video you posted is not extremely smooth.
Whatever you choose - take your time for filming and enjoy the process. And in the end only take your best footage to combine it to a movie. You´d better spend a few more hours filming than creating a movie everyone else could too ;).

I agree completely, yeah the video is out of focus some times and changes focus back and forth trying to focus on the fish, I would do the same but cut out the parts where im trying to get the camera to focus. I would love a brushless gimbal but aren't they even more expensive than the tripod and the fluid head??

I'm afraid a good tripod/fluid head easily costs 600 bucks. Well, and you don't want a bad one, trust me. It's the fluid motion that makes all the difference. Especially for what you plan. I learned the hard way and so did friends. But maybe you can go the rental route. I'd recommend sachtler, despite their rather high prices, they are still the cheapest really usable fluid heads that I know. I need to admit though, that my last intensive search for video tripods was three years ago. But that's not the area with the most innovation, so I guess there wasn't much change.
There are nice workarounds like using rubberbands with bad videoheads to make movement fluid, but there is always a deadband - I don't think that will work with your fish.
Well, and then add the slider to those 600 and you get veeeeery close to a gimbal.

Taking another look at the video you posted, I don't think they use other lights, than the tank lights from the top. If you avoid the light to spill out into the room, you might not need any cloth if your camera doesn't get too close. Avoid to wear bright clothes though. Black is your friend ;).

The cheapest Sachtler tripod and fluid head I found was the 1001 Ace M with the Ace M fluid head and it's 600$,that might be overkill for a camera worth 1000-1200$ with lenses, Il look around see what I can find, I hope to findo something around 400$ but if I can't find anything then Il probably save up for the Sachtler. And which slider would you recommend?

A great example. But then again that is a very specific use. .........

... (forum won´t let me post more than 5 media, so I had to remove these from your post - please watch the videos in the post above)
Let me check:
  • first video: if you want your film to look somewhat professional, you´d always choose a shutterspeed of 1/2 x fps - so in Europe (PAL) that´s 1/50th, in the US (NTSC) that´s 1/60th so that´s not a big deal with these settings.
    of course that would require ND filters outdoor, which not many are using. But if the OP is going the more professional route which I think he will, he´d consider that. Other than that he will be indoors, not on a plane and have no issues to set 1/50th without ND filters.
  • two and three - well yes that happens if somebody is wildly rotating the camera on a tripod left and right - I´d say that is specific use ;). Sure it does happen going only one direction too, but you´d only do that for a very short time - maybe a second or even a fraction. Otherwise you´ll end up with a sick audience. And that second, maybe 1 or 2 percent of your audience will realize (especially if you are filming in a way that the audience doesn´t concentrate too much on the background)
  • fourth video: at 1:45 the speaker says: "at first glance it looks both cameras are capturing the sequence in the same way". Well, usually you watch the footage and don´t look at frozen frames, so the first glance is exactly what most people do.
  • fifth video: well yes that sure is weird. But usually your audience looking at that wouldn´t mind at all. If they wouldn´t have somebody point you at they probably wouldn´t even realize. That´s the point I was trying to make. Most people are no professional filmmakers, they watch movies different than we do.
On the other hand there are these kind of videos (not mine and probably a bit exaggerated, but quite to the point):

The interesting thing is that I couldn´t quickly find a depth of field comparison videocamera vs DSLR. That´s cool because as soon as the weather gets better here, I´ll do a short comparison between Sony PMW EX1 Videocamera (1/2" Sensor) vs DSLRs crop and fullframe vs mirrorless crop and fullframe. I need to go charging the PMW EX1 right away, because I haven´t used it for two years ;).

I don´t say videocameras are bad and I don´t say DSLRs are bad - either one is good in their own way, and it´s good to show the people the different aspects to make an educated decision on what is best for their needs. I prefer to shoot cameras with full frame sensors (Sony A7II mirrorless series) and don´t mind the rolling shutter in most situations (in fact I can think of only one situation when I dumped the footage). Here is a wedding I recently shot that would look totally different, wouldn´t have Canon decided to present the 5D Mark II a few years ago and open the field of shallow depth for filmmakers on a tighter budget. Go, find the rolling shutter. It is there, but does it distract from anything? Is tbe shallow depth on the other hand adding something to the movie? Decide for yourself:

Edited for formatting

Cool, I like it. Quite a few closeups though - if you want to get that close, you need a macro lens.
I think the sony a6000 is really a great camera for that - compared to other DSLRs, or mirrorless it has a really fast continuous autofocus for filming, I am not so sure about autofocus on macro lenses though. The video you show has quite a lot of out of focus moments, where the focus didn´t work as intended.
And one more thing: regarding tripods: you get what you pay for. If you want to track a fish that close you need one with a good fluid head. These are rather expensive though. Maybe you´d be better off with a brushless gimbal - you can combine slider and tripod in one device - it needs some practice though. But then again that video you posted is not extremely smooth.
Whatever you choose - take your time for filming and enjoy the process. And in the end only take your best footage to combine it to a movie. You´d better spend a few more hours filming than creating a movie everyone else could too ;).

I agree completely, yeah the video is out of focus some times and changes focus back and forth trying to focus on the fish, I would do the same but cut out the parts where im trying to get the camera to focus. I would love a brushless gimbal but aren't they even more expensive than the tripod and the fluid head??

I'm afraid a good tripod/fluid head easily costs 600 bucks. Well, and you don't want a bad one, trust me. It's the fluid motion that makes all the difference. Especially for what you plan. I learned the hard way and so did friends. But maybe you can go the rental route. I'd recommend sachtler, despite their rather high prices, they are still the cheapest really usable fluid heads that I know. I need to admit though, that my last intensive search for video tripods was three years ago. But that's not the area with the most innovation, so I guess there wasn't much change.
There are nice workarounds like using rubberbands with bad videoheads to make movement fluid, but there is always a deadband - I don't think that will work with your fish.
Well, and then add the slider to those 600 and you get veeeeery close to a gimbal.

Taking another look at the video you posted, I don't think they use other lights, than the tank lights from the top. If you avoid the light to spill out into the room, you might not need any cloth if your camera doesn't get too close. Avoid to wear bright clothes though. Black is your friend ;).

Would I need a slider and a foto tripod head to put on top??

Yeah I was planning on using the sony A6300 but the A6500 just came out so I have to check what is new and see which of the two I prefer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Let me check:

Edited for formatting

The cheapest Sachtler tripod and fluid head I found was the 1001 Ace M with the Ace M fluid head and it's 600$,that might be overkill for a camera worth 1000-1200$ with lenses, Il look around see what I can find, I hope to findo something around 400$ but if I can't find anything then Il probably save up for the Sachtler. And which slider would you recommend?

I´m afraid those are the weird things in photography and filmmaking. Other people would ask you how can thousands of $ on flash, if there are cameras that only cost a fraction of it. But to get really fluid motion, the cheaper tripods in my experience don´t really do the job. Following a swimming fish that has no movement pattern is probably one of the most difficult things to film in motion. You don´t know where he is going next, and he may turn around all of a sudden and when you want to turn with him, it has to be smooth, and not abrupt. If you want to save money here, I suggest filming sequences where the fish only goes in one direction with about the same speed and doesn´t stop. With patience I think you can do that. Just film take after take after take and eventually you will have one usable piece of footage.
In case you live anywhere near New York City (I don´t), I suggest visiting B&H and try the fluid heads with your own camera. I´ve been there once and it is a photographers heaven (especially compared to what I get here). Maybe there are newer tripods, that do the trick.
Regarding sliders I´m afraid I can´t tell you much. I´m almost exclusively using an edelkrone slider plus. It is not perfect, but I love it for its size and the ability of dollying into a scene, pointing the camera in the direction you slide. With other sliders you´d have the slider in the frame for most of the time. But it is not the cheapest one and I think for your needs it doesn´t make much sense either. There are soooo many different sliders out there, I just have lost track at one point. I´d suggest to watch reviews on youtube and read them on the various vendors pages. But in the end a slider is a slider is a slider ;), even though there are smoother ones, but you wouldn´t realize it nearly as much as you would a bad fluid head.
For the photo head for your slider: well, that depends. I´d only say yes, if you want to create some kind of jib shots, but I don´t see the need for your project.

The 4K camera ,we recommend you use sony a6300,and if you need 4K field monitor,then we recommend
you use Feelworld new 7" FULL HD 1920*1200 with hdmi inputs that support 4K,check the link below:
FEELWORLD 7" IPS 4K HDMI Full HD 1920x1200 On-Camera Monitor Ultra-thin Design FW760-Shenzhen Feelworld Technology Co.,Ltd
Yeah I was planning on using the sony A6300 but the A6500 just came out so I have to check what is new and see which of the two I prefer.
IIIIf you consider buying the a6500, you might even be able to go without tripod - didn´t know that you´d consider spending so much money on the camera only. It hast the same internal stabilizer than the A7II series, and these are nothing but fantastic. I´ve just recently shot some videos handheld over the head with a 55mm lens, and you wouldn´t believe how smooth that is. It sounds weird, but I just yesterday wanted to suggest getting the A7II and skipping tripod and maybe even slider. Then I deleted the text again, thinking that is too much money for your pockets for camera only. And now the a6500 is out. Yay!

Let me check:

Edited for formatting

I´m afraid those are the weird things in photography and filmmaking. Other people would ask you how can thousands of $ on flash, if there are cameras that only cost a fraction of it. But to get really fluid motion, the cheaper tripods in my experience don´t really do the job. Following a swimming fish that has no movement pattern is probably one of the most difficult things to film in motion. You don´t know where he is going next, and he may turn around all of a sudden and when you want to turn with him, it has to be smooth, and not abrupt. If you want to save money here, I suggest filming sequences where the fish only goes in one direction with about the same speed and doesn´t stop. With patience I think you can do that. Just film take after take after take and eventually you will have one usable piece of footage.
In case you live anywhere near New York City (I don´t), I suggest visiting B&H and try the fluid heads with your own camera. I´ve been there once and it is a photographers heaven (especially compared to what I get here). Maybe there are newer tripods, that do the trick.
Regarding sliders I´m afraid I can´t tell you much. I´m almost exclusively using an edelkrone slider plus. It is not perfect, but I love it for its size and the ability of dollying into a scene, pointing the camera in the direction you slide. With other sliders you´d have the slider in the frame for most of the time. But it is not the cheapest one and I think for your needs it doesn´t make much sense either. There are soooo many different sliders out there, I just have lost track at one point. I´d suggest to watch reviews on youtube and read them on the various vendors pages. But in the end a slider is a slider is a slider ;), even though there are smoother ones, but you wouldn´t realize it nearly as much as you would a bad fluid head.
For the photo head for your slider: well, that depends. I´d only say yes, if you want to create some kind of jib shots, but I don´t see the need for your project.

If I did jib like shots it would be to film equipment that Im going to add to the tank or to film a package of food or something. No unfortunately I don't live near New York, in fact I'm in a different continent haha. I live in Spain but Im going to move next year.

The 4K camera ,we recommend you use sony a6300,and if you need 4K field monitor,then we recommend
you use Feelworld new 7" FULL HD 1920*1200 with hdmi inputs that support 4K,check the link below:
FEELWORLD 7" IPS 4K HDMI Full HD 1920x1200 On-Camera Monitor Ultra-thin Design FW760-Shenzhen Feelworld Technology Co.,Ltd
IIIIf you consider buying the a6500, you might even be able to go without tripod - didn´t know that you´d consider spending so much money on the camera only. It hast the same internal stabilizer than the A7II series, and these are nothing but fantastic. I´ve just recently shot some videos handheld over the head with a 55mm lens, and you wouldn´t believe how smooth that is. It sounds weird, but I just yesterday wanted to suggest getting the A7II and skipping tripod and maybe even slider. Then I deleted the text again, thinking that is too much money for your pockets for camera only. And now the a6500 is out. Yay!

Yeah I've watched a few videos and the internal stabilization is supposed to be great, but can it really replace the fluid head? Or can it make an average tripod good enough?

Yeah I've watched a few videos and the internal stabilization is supposed to be great, but can it really replace the fluid head? Or can it make an average tripod good enough?

If I did jib like shots it would be to film equipment that Im going to add to the tank or to film a package of food or something. No unfortunately I don't live near New York, in fact I'm in a different continent haha. I live in Spain but Im going to move next year.

You know, there´s always something more you can do, but there´s always a point where you have to start. I totally understand your situation, and I am just like you. My goal is to make everything perfect. I guess it sometimes is better to just start out than to think what else you could use to make the 95% reach the 100%. The last 5% are the most costly and time consuming ones ;).
So we are just a few 1.000km apart - I´m in Austria, I already wondered about your timely answers ;).

Regarding the internal stabilization - it is outstanding. It can replace a fluid head for quite a lot of shots, but it can not make an average tripod good enough - sounds weird, but it can eliminate or heavily reduce very tiny shakes (like the one of your hands when holding it). What it can not do is eliminate rather big movement like those of bad tripod heads. So handheld probably yes, if you take care how to hold the camera - bad tripod: no.

Are you set in stone for producing 4k video? If you're willing to drop your final output resolution, you can edit a 4k video down to 2.7 or 2k and use software to simulate IS. I do this quite routinely.... shoot 4k and output at 1080p.

Are you set in stone for producing 4k video? If you're willing to drop your final output resolution, you can edit a 4k video down to 2.7 or 2k and use software to simulate IS. I do this quite routinely.... shoot 4k and output at 1080p.
I might do that for some shots too, but I still want a slider and tropod.

You know, there´s always something more you can do, but there´s always a point where you have to start. I totally understand your situation, and I am just like you. My goal is to make everything perfect. I guess it sometimes is better to just start out than to think what else you could use to make the 95% reach the 100%. The last 5% are the most costly and time consuming ones ;).
So we are just a few 1.000km apart - I´m in Austria, I already wondered about your timely answers ;).

Regarding the internal stabilization - it is outstanding. It can replace a fluid head for quite a lot of shots, but it can not make an average tripod good enough - sounds weird, but it can eliminate or heavily reduce very tiny shakes (like the one of your hands when holding it). What it can not do is eliminate rather big movement like those of bad tripod heads. So handheld probably yes, if you take care how to hold the camera - bad tripod: no.

Im probably going to get the A6500 and a macro lens to start with, and I'll see how the and held video looks, then I'l decide wether or not to buy a tripod with a good fluid head or a cheaper one just to use with the slider. What other gear would you recommend? Oh I'm also going to get a microphone to narrate the video when it's done and I'l use final cut pro x to edit my video.

I have one of these:
Sony PXW-FS7 4K XDCAM
and am very happy with the results I get with it.
There is also
Panasonic AG-DVX200
That has fewer features, but is still a capable camera and is less expensive.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Im probably going to get the A6500 and a macro lens to start with, and I'll see how the and held video looks, then I'l decide wether or not to buy a tripod with a good fluid head or a cheaper one just to use with the slider. What other gear would you recommend? Oh I'm also going to get a microphone to narrate the video when it's done and I'l use final cut pro x to edit my video.

Do you have an idea how the room in which you are going to film that will be? What background, size of the room, what else beside the tank will be in there, etc? You said you were going to film yourself narrating, right?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Do you have an idea how the room in which you are going to film that will be? What background, size of the room, what else beside the tank will be in there, etc? You said you were going to film yourself narrating, right?

Im not sure if I'l film myself,but I will add narration with audio for sure. The room is long and I the tank will be in the same direction as the room, the opposite side of the aquarium is all window but I can close the shades and make it 100% dark except for the aquarium itself. Apart from the aquarium Il have a desk and a bed, and in the future a terrarium with monitors in it (monitor as in the reptile not an actual monitor).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back