I want to buy a 4k camera for video

Would a go pro or an i phone 7 be any good I wonder no clue really

Would a go pro or an i phone 7 be any good I wonder no clue really
No, the go pro is impossible to strap onto the head of such small fish and the fish can't answer the iPhone. They can't even unlock it since they have no fingerprints.

I'm a big fan of DSLR and mirrorless video, and the looks of the large sensors (small depth of field). However, for your goal, small depth might be a little difficult because when you get up close with not too much light (esp. in the lower corners of your tank) you need to shoot wide open and therefore the focus area might be too shallow. On the other hand the larger sensors are better regarding noise. It's a tough decision.
If you have friends who own a DSLR and a videocamera, ask whether you can borrow it and check the results in your aquarium store before you buy.

Regarding the slider: shooting aquarium glass from the side will give you blurry images (if I remember right, only when there is water in it). 90° is your preferred angle. Using the slider, you would have to rotate the head to keep objects that are so close within the frame, and that would result in shooting at an angle to the glass that is not going to produce good results. What I want to say is: you probably don't need a slider. Wow, did I just say that? I totally love sliders.

The 29 minute recording limit shouldn't be an issue for your kind of work, and the zoom shouldn't either. Hardly any Hollywood movie, documentation, sitcom, etc. ever uses zooming while recording.
What's much more of an issue is focus while recording. Your fish and critters move, and your focus should work really well unless you want to get familiar with follow focus devices. The a6300 does an amazing job, so do most videocameras. With DSLRs there are difficulties at times.

Last but not least codec. Sonys XAVC-S codec is great compared to what most DSLRs offer.

And one more: if you think about talking in front of your camera, consider an external mic. You can record external, and synch in post, or have it easier and record into the cam. A lavalier mic on your shirt, or a shotgun mic above your head just out of the frame are good options. Rode has a nice lavallier for the iPhone in case you have one and that is probably the cheapest route.

I am going to light the tank with strong lights so small depth of field shouldn't be as hard. I get what you mean about the slider and agree 100% but I can still use it to film the equipment I use and the process of making the rocks and so on, and yes it only happens when the tank is full of water. Yeah 29 minute continuous recording limit isn't a problem, I plan on making my videos 30mins long in total, and made basically with short clips. Yeah I plan to film the video and then add the audio later, I'm still not sure which microphone to buy but I do plan on buying one. Oh and I also want to film in low light and in 240fps for slow mo shots which the A6300 does have.

I'm a big fan of DSLR and mirrorless video, and the looks of the large sensors (small depth of field). However, for your goal, small depth might be a little difficult because when you get up close with not too much light (esp. in the lower corners of your tank) you need to shoot wide open and therefore the focus area might be too shallow. On the other hand the larger sensors are better regarding noise. It's a tough decision.
If you have friends who own a DSLR and a videocamera, ask whether you can borrow it and check the results in your aquarium store before you buy.

Regarding the slider: shooting aquarium glass from the side will give you blurry images (if I remember right, only when there is water in it). 90° is your preferred angle. Using the slider, you would have to rotate the head to keep objects that are so close within the frame, and that would result in shooting at an angle to the glass that is not going to produce good results. What I want to say is: you probably don't need a slider. Wow, did I just say that? I totally love sliders.

The 29 minute recording limit shouldn't be an issue for your kind of work, and the zoom shouldn't either. Hardly any Hollywood movie, documentation, sitcom, etc. ever uses zooming while recording.
What's much more of an issue is focus while recording. Your fish and critters move, and your focus should work really well unless you want to get familiar with follow focus devices. The a6300 does an amazing job, so do most videocameras. With DSLRs there are difficulties at times.

Last but not least codec. Sonys XAVC-S codec is great compared to what most DSLRs offer.

And one more: if you think about talking in front of your camera, consider an external mic. You can record external, and synch in post, or have it easier and record into the cam. A lavalier mic on your shirt, or a shotgun mic above your head just out of the frame are good options. Rode has a nice lavallier for the iPhone in case you have one and that is probably the cheapest route.

I am going to light the tank with strong lights so small depth of field shouldn't be as hard. I get what you mean about the slider and agree 100% but I can still use it to film the equipment I use and the process of making the rocks and so on, and yes it only happens when the tank is full of water. Yeah 29 minute continuous recording limit isn't a problem, I plan on making my videos 30mins long in total, and made basically with short clips. Yeah I plan to film the video and then add the audio later, I'm still not sure which microphone to buy but I do plan on buying one. Oh and I also want to film in low light and in 240fps for slow mo shots which the A6300 does have.

Hey there,
strong lights seem strong to our eyes, but not so much to the camera. Compared to flash, they are really dimm, even if you use 1000W, it´s not really that much (except for 1000W LED ;)).
Regarding mics, take a look at the Rode lineup, those are really nice mics for a reasonable price.
Unfortunately the a6300 doesn´t have 240fps, but usually the cams that do have it, only support 720p, so not even full HD. That´s not worth a lot. If you film most of your work in 4K and want to publish in 4K, you don´t want to film a lot in slowmo and mix it - you see the quality difference of one being 4K and the other in HD.

Hey there,
strong lights seem strong to our eyes, but not so much to the camera. Compared to flash, they are really dimm, even if you use 1000W, it´s not really that much (except for 1000W LED ;)).
Regarding mics, take a look at the Rode lineup, those are really nice mics for a reasonable price.
Unfortunately the a6300 doesn´t have 240fps, but usually the cams that do have it, only support 720p, so not even full HD. That´s not worth a lot. If you film most of your work in 4K and want to publish in 4K, you don´t want to film a lot in slowmo and mix it - you see the quality difference of one being 4K and the other in HD.
My bad, I meant 120fps which is the maximum it does at 1080p. Well they are pretty bright lights, sps corals need lots of light, we try to simulate sun light and the par can reach 300 in some parts of the tank, if I ever want to film a particular corner or dark spot I'l probably move the lights to fit the scene. My main concern is autofocus for shots where I follow fast fish, and I'm not familiar with follow focus devices, any tips? Are they expensive??

Ah! Rolling shutter.
Not good for fast moving subject matter.
A global shutter works best for that.

Consider a polarizer filter to cut reflections and glare on the glass. Of course, these filters also cut light about one to two stops.

Hey there,
My bad, I meant 120fps which is the maximum it does at 1080p. Well they are pretty bright lights, sps corals need lots of light, we try to simulate sun light and the par can reach 300 in some parts of the tank, if I ever want to film a particular corner or dark spot I'l probably move the lights to fit the scene. My main concern is autofocus for shots where I follow fast fish, and I'm not familiar with follow focus devices, any tips? Are they expensive??
I know about marine tank lights. They were the reason why I sticked with freshwater :D. I lived in a top floor appartement these days, and the computers in my office already did a good job heating the room ;).

Sorry, mentioning follow focus was meant as a joke, should have set a smiley ;). Follow focus is manual focussing with a big wheel placed beside your lens. You have to practise quite a bit to be able to focus a fast moving fish. There are people that do only that as a job.
But I guess the fish won't escape, so you have quite a few chances to get the shot. Wildlife filmmakers need to be patient from what I read ;). So doing it in a tank should be easier.
But I'd still say: try before you buy. Or maybe buy somewhere where you can return the camera.

Regarding rolling shutter: it can be a pain at times, but way more often it is not. It usually only is an issue when there are geometrical shapes in your frame, that might get distorted (but usually only professional audience would realize - regular people watching film won't). or when you have a lot of camera movement (plus shake) involved, like when skiing with a camera. But that has nothing to do with what you plan. I´ve shot weddings with lots of movement, corporate videos and have been skiing with different cameras. The only point where rolling shutter was an issue is when the piste got too bumpy. But then the footage was most of the time unusable anyway. The only occasion when I go back and film with a videocamera is when I need to record a show, etc. when there is the need for long takes (30mins plus) and the camera needs to run all the time because you need a final video of the complete show. Then you need to consider battery life, overheating, reliability, shallow focus etc.. For the rest I use mirrorless Sonys only.

Consider a polarizer filter to cut reflections and glare on the glass. Of course, these filters also cut light about one to two stops.

If you have the chance to control the light, I would go without an additional filter. A tank is rather small and placing the lights accordingly, and using flags of dark cloth to keep the light from spilling wouldn´t leave any reflections.

Ah! Rolling shutter.
Not good for fast moving subject matter.
A global shutter works best for that.

I didn't know whay rolling shutter meant so I watched a few youtube videos, the one you shared was the first I found haha.

Most reactions

Back