What's new

I'm Pretty Sure the Big Stopper Makes Every Scene More Beautiful

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
9,027
Reaction score
2,175
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
But really! This scene wasn't anything fancy, but I still like the results. Nowhere near my strongest sunset shot, but I just love using the Lee filter system. I had a stressful day with classes and such, and it was nice to go and relax and photograph for a few hours. I've found that using the big stopper forces me to be more careful and calculating when shooting, as the long exposures really limit the number of images you can take. Shot with my new Vello Shutterboss (which works great!), the Big Stopper, and a 0.6 & 0.9 GND soft stacked. Edited in Lightroom5 and CS5.

Peace Over Machias by f_one_eight, on Flickr


Iced Orange by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Best,
Jake
 
Maybe an uninteresting scene made kinda beautiful is still uninteresting?
 
I love looking at these. Very calming effect. Wish I had the cash to get a system like that. Better sell a kidney.
 
I love looking at these. Very calming effect. Wish I had the cash to get a system like that. Better sell a kidney.

I had a mild heart attack when I ordered them. $650 for some filters?! WTF! But, after using them only a few times, I've fallen in love. I never saw myself as a landscape photographer, and now that's all I want to do. Definitely well worth the investment. And I treat them like gold, so I'm sure they'll last forever.

Jake
 
So I'm familiar with the GND but I'm not sure what the big stopper is. What's its purpose?

Those are great looking shots.
 
A big stopper allows you to take long exposure shots in bright light. Often, they will be 9 or 10 stop ND filters.
 
Absolutely stunning !!!!!

I like the color in #1 a little better but I like the composition of #2 much better, looks like a set of those filters will be going on my Christmas list :wink:
 
I would love this system but the sun will burn out before I pay that much.
 
nice shots, I've got the big stopper and a .9 ND but no grads, I enjoy using the lee seti[ as well, the whole thing that works on virtually all lenses with the appropriate adapter is so much nicer than trying to get various circular filters for each lens you may want to use.

So I'm familiar with the GND but I'm not sure what the big stopper is. What's its purpose?

the big stopper is a 4"x4" square 10 stop solid ND filter for long exposures in bright light.
 
Thanks all! And yes, mines just about ten stops (I think a third stop above ten, actually).

Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I would love this system but the sun will burn out before I pay that much.

Cheaper to get a pinhole cap for your DSLR.
 
I would love this system but the sun will burn out before I pay that much.

Cheaper to get a pinhole cap for your DSLR.

Not quite the same results though.

Jake

True, but it's a way to practice long daytime exposures to get similar effects without paying the money. Kind of like doing a test drive with a car that has different features than the one you might buy, but will still give you a sense of whether or not the overall drive/feel of the car is satisfying enough to spend the money on the more loaded-up model.
 
The color, and detail so very nice, what a beautiful set of photos :)
 
I love looking at these. Very calming effect. Wish I had the cash to get a system like that. Better sell a kidney.
so much nicer than trying to get various circular filters for each lens you may want to use.
You can get a 10 stop ND filter from a perfectly respectable company for like $100 in 77mm big enough to fit almost any lens with some $5 step up rings so that it fits everything smaller than 77mm.
Amazon.com: B+W 77mm ND 3.0-1,000X with Single Coating (110): Electronics
Amazon.com : Goja 52-77MM Step-Up Adapter Ring (52MM Lens to 77MM Accessory) + Premium MagicFiber Microfiber Cleaning Cloth : Camera Lens Filter Step Up Rings : Electronics (etc. for each other size filter thread)

I've never been sure what the attraction is for the Lee system. Seems like paying about $300 extra up front for no particular reason to me. Being able to lift them out quickly might be nice, but if you simply use live view, in most scenes even at 10 stops of ND, you can compose and even autofocus just fine with it still on.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom