I'm Switching to Canon....Want Advice on Lenses!

Munky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rikogonzalez.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys; I'm Going to be Switching to Canon in a few Weeks; I've decided to go with The 7D and wanted to Go f2.8 on all my lenses; what do you guys recommend; canon, sigma or tamron; preci wise tam and sig are wayy cheaper; but are they worh it?

I've seen some of you in your signatures a lot of sigma and some tamron!
Help me out with suggestions or advice Thanks!

What's your budget and what do you shoot?

If you're going f/2.8 max ap zooms, 16-35, 24-70, and 70-200 are pretty much standard and cover a good chunk of range. Problem is the wide end with a crop. 16 isn't going to be as wide as something like a 10-20 or 10-22 and AFAIK, they don't make a 10-20 f/2.8.

Budget is a huge consideration.

Idiot listed the major 3 zooms to look into. And yes, the 16 is not super wide on a crop sensor. I have a 10-22, but its a 3.5-4.5 lens, which suites my needs. If you want ultra wide and f/2.8, I have read great things about the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 wide zoom.

The Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 can be a great replacement for the Canon 24-70 f/2.8. It weighs less, similar range, built well, cost less than half the price. The major problems with it are finding a good copy (took me 3 tries) and the slow and noisy auto focusing. I have had one for a little over a year, great lens, but I am going with the Canon 24-70 in a few weeks as the auto focusing issues are annoying me to the point of I'm willing to spend more coin on the Canon. I'm shooting alot of lower light clubs and bars these days.

There is no real replacement for a 70-200 f/2.8 IS L lens. Its amazing glass. I wouldn't pick up a Sigma or a Tamron if I had the budget for the Canon version.

Have you considered primes? I love my 50mm f/1.8 on my 7D. I'm going to pick up the 50mm f/1.4 soon. Seeing how my budget is later on, I might pick up some more wide primes, which I am loving more and more.

What's your budget and what do you shoot?

If you're going f/2.8 max ap zooms, 16-35, 24-70, and 70-200 are pretty much standard and cover a good chunk of range. Problem is the wide end with a crop. 16 isn't going to be as wide as something like a 10-20 or 10-22 and AFAIK, they don't make a 10-20 f/2.8.

Lens Budget is 1k AT THE MOMENT but soon it'll add up; with that I figured i could get maybe 2 tamrons/sigmas IF THEY ARE WORTH IT...

I shoot everything but mainly Cars (Show,Drift,Racing) and Models/Portraits

^^^ +1

I was looking for IS (VC) in my walk-around lens and did not want to spend 1000+ on a non-L lens, therefore went with a Tamron. For ultra-wide angle Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 is a good lens if you are looking for a winder angle in 2.8.

All of the above listed lenses are very good. I am thinking of picking up a 70-200 next.

I'm going to pick up the 50mm f/1.4 soon.
I almost bought this lens last week then I read few comparisons between Canon 50mm 1.4 and Sigma 50mm 1.4.

And now I am lost :)

The Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 is a decent alternative to the more expensive Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS or the EF 16-35mm F2.8 L. There is a new version of the Tamron 17-50mm with VC (their version of IS) but it's good bit more expensive.

I shoot everything but mainly Cars (Show,Drift,Racing) and Models/Portraits
70-200mm F2.8.
The Canon models might blow your budget but Sigma makes one that's pretty good.

That's the thing i searched for 2.8 on B&H AND COULD NOT MAKE UP MY MIND

17-50, 24-75, 18-50,, etc etc ect... lol

You can not go wrong with any of the L lens. There some lenses out there that are better than Canon.

Buy what you immediately need and then save for better L lenses. Tamron 17-50, Tokina 11-16 and Sigma 50mm 1.4 are all good lenses.

You can not go wrong with any of the L lens. There some lenses out there that are better than Canon.

Buy what you immediately need and then save for better L lenses. Tamron 17-50, Tokina 11-16 and Sigma 50mm 1.4 are all good lenses.

I Think those are going to be my choices as they cover my 'bases'
Tokina 11-16
Tamron 17-50
Sigma 50mm 1.4

Now I will need a Zoom Lens too.....

I Think those are going to be my choices as they cover my 'bases'
Tokina 11-16
Tamron 17-50
Sigma 50mm 1.4

Now I will need a Zoom Lens too.....

Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II :)

The trouble with 3rd party lenses is they are reverse engineered and don't hold their resale value as well as camera maker lenses, like the pro Canon L glass.

It's a pain when you have to send a 3rd party lens back in to be re-chipped, just because you got a different model camera body with the same mount.

One last thought, if you read the warranty closely, http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&keycode=2113&fcategoryid=215&modelid=19356

This limited warranty covers all defects encountered in normal use of the Product, and does not apply in the following cases:

........(b) Use of parts or supplies (other than those sold by Canon U.S.A. or Canon Canada) that cause damage to the Product or cause abnormally frequent service calls or service problems

Most reactions

New Topics

Back