just a bit of fly fishing...

Thanks deeky!

I was explaining to my husband why I need a macro lens... It's just for his flies, not for my pleasure :)

In our river there is brown trout and grayling. You can come to check them out, try some of your flies ...

Thanks for the offer. Big Browns love big streamers. I would also really like to catch a grayling, particularly of the Arctic variety. Still trying to figure out where you are - unfortunately probably not going to make it there any time soon, wherever it is.

And yes - macro shots of my flies (using the little point and shoot camera) have really made me a better tier when I can see my flies in such detail. If he is serious about his tying, his only question will be "What focal length do you want?". :)

Hi, just stumbled onto this thread, which I see has been dormant for a while, but I thought I would chime in anyway. I am an avid fly fisher, fly tier and fly rod builder. Fly fishing (and related hobbies) have been my obsession for many years now, and in fact it was through fly fishing that I came to pursue a greater knowledge and skill level in photography. I fish for trout, steelhead and smallmouth bass here in Michigan. I am very excited to be going to Colorado for a week this coming July to fish the Roaring Fork and Frying Pan rivers. I'm glad to know there are so many fellow fly fishers on TPF!

Hey! where is this coming from lol!

nice to see more fly fishers here :)

The World Fly Fishing Championship is going to be held in Czech 2-8 June, just to mention :)

There's a World Fly Fishing Championship?? How have I not heard of this?? I haven't fished in a while but everytime I get home to Idaho, I join my dad and his buddy on the South Fork of the Boise River. It has a great little float that you can do twice in a day and is almost always good for some fish, usually Rainbows in the 20-30" range. The river got blown out by a winter storm and some mudslides last fall though, may be a year or two before it recovers. Maria, keep posting pics, I'm fascinated by fly-fishing abroad.

Ok, so, for those of you interested in fly fishing... I deleted the link to my blog because I'm having some issues with it... I'll just copy something I wrote there and post more photos from that day ;)

"Again, I had 2-3 hours free time during this Saturday. Of course, I went for a photo walk, but before I started the car and I decided to call my husband to see where exactly he was (he, of course, was somewhere fishing) … maybe I could take a photo or two. He told me that they were just preparing to go on the other place but if I wish I could come now, on that particular place. When I got there the four of them were already leaving, I managed to get a snapshot of them crossing the river, said “Hi” and they were already gone, headed to the next place, to the other river few miles from there. They told me to call my husband to hurry up. I called my husband, he said: “I’m right there, in a minute.” And he came…

080214_0015-Large-610x406.jpg

Being a passionate fly fisher means that the words “being in a hurry” doesn't exist in their vocabulary. Trust me on this. I waited for his “just a couple of minutes more” hundreds of time. Needless to say that those were never just a couple of minutes.
The weather was dull, overcast, with a bits of rain coming down. It suppose to be winter here, with lots of snow, but this is how our winter this year looks like… awful.
I told him that I would take just a few snapshots and asked him to not pay attention on me.
He just couldn’t walk next to the water. He had to try to cast even here and even like this…

080214_0022-Large-610x405.jpg

Another fly fisher called him to hurry up… and he did… Have I told you, that a passionate fly fisher just can’t walk by the river without casting…

080214_0028-Large-610x405.jpg

They asked why I wouldn’t come with them, I said: “Ok”
It started to rain a bit more when we got there. They were preparing. I wasn't comfortable taking photos of others so I hold on to my husband. I did take a few shots but I wont post the here.

080214_0050-Large-610x916.jpg

and observing....

080214_0067-Large-610x405.jpg

I was just looking what to shoot before he was gone. It rained and I wasn’t sure I’ll manage to get any photos of him being in water before I’ll have to leave.

080214_0062-Large-610x405.jpg

A special technique… Not sure how it’s called but it has to do something with the number 8 as I can recall… Someone will recognize for sure…

080214_0110-Large-841x560.jpg

I was preparing to leave him alone and he was preparing for what he’ll be using for the next cast. These are all flies he tied himself.

080214_0132-Large-610x405.jpg

Forgive me for not knowing much about fly fishing but I’ll copy here the sentence of two for a correspondence my husband had last night with another fly fisher. He asked my husband this and my husband replied that…
Question: “Are you fishing those downstream of you typically? What is the ratio of fish that you take on dries to nymphs? “
Answer: “I mostly fish upstream with sizes 14-20 on longer distance or however you said that correctly, but you know what I mean. On shorter distances I do high stick nymphing with larger flies sizes 6-12….”
That’s enough for my blog, they’ll be speaking in details

It was raining, I was wet, I decided to go around a bit to find something else to shoot.
080214_0199-Large-841x560.jpg

After a while, the three of them decided to take a brake and eat something. “C’mon, eat something with us!” “Oh no, no thanks! I’ll pass.”

080214_0192-Large-841x560.jpg

There's a World Fly Fishing Championship?? How have I not heard of this??Maria, keep posting pics, I'm fascinated by fly-fishing abroad.

I just want to mention one more thing...

Some of you might remember that we ordered Sage rod from a company that didn't fulfilled their obligations. robbins.photo helped me to write them a letter ;) Thanks!... long story short we actually ended up getting to know one member of USA national team.
It's a small world :)

They'll going to meet each other in Czech and if USA gets good results it's just because of me ... actually my hb wrote him few information about fishing in Czech after they returned from the training.... but lets just say I played a big role in this ;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back