just a bit of fly fishing...

I started fly fishing a couple of years ago and my 12 year old daughter just last summer. After catching a few rainbows, a couple of sea trouts and a salmon or two we are both 'hooked' - really after the first little fish on a dry you are hooked.

to date:

6ft 2wt ultra light
8.5 ft 8wt (got this one from my dad 30 years ago)
9ft 4wt
9ft 6wt
11ft 6wt switch
13ft 9wt spey
14ft 6/7wt spey

and for my upcoming 60th my wife is getting me a 18ft 11wt spey from a shop in England when she goes to visit her folks this summer. I'll be using this one for striped bass at the big flats at the Miramichi estuary, along the Charlo and Carleton shores and at the Restigouche estuary, and for the fall run of sea trouts when they hold for bit at tide change at the wide part of the Restigouche.

I used to fly fish and tie my own flies but I got a bit bored with it and the snobbery and rules that go along with it. After it got to the stage where I'd look in my fly box and decide it didn't really matter which fly I chose and GRHE or a variant on that was pretty much all I needed I knew it was time for me to pack it in.

Now I'm into Sea fishing mainly from the shore. It provides me with a lot more variety and I find it more challenging. In the past few years its gotten a lot more refined and technical now. Plus Scotland having 22,500 miles of coastline helps.

I've still got my 9ft 7-8wt Sage rod though, doubt I'll ever part with it.

I used to fish quite a bit, but not very often now.

file6071241317239.jpg

It looks like fun!!

But I think I'd rather be on the riverbank and take the photos than be in the cold water. :) And help grill the fish, too!

Maria, your husband must be a long lost relative of my husband, they sound alot alike!

I can cast a fly rod, but haven't had enough experience to catch one on it yet. I do better with this.

$2009_0729SoldatnaAlaska0034.JPG

Nancy

Guys, I'm not from Alaska, nor Czech.

It looks like fun!!

But I think I'd rather be on the riverbank and take the photos than be in the cold water. :) And help grill the fish, too!

It's a deal then!We'll make some photos then we'll make some fish. I make the best trout and grayling you'll ever eat (maybe not, but I really do make a good grilled fish, fish stew...)

Maria, your husband must be a long lost relative of my husband, they sound alot alike!

I can cast a fly rod, but haven't had enough experience to catch one on it yet. I do better with this.

View attachment 66651

Nancy

...and he probably is :)

O Nancy, what a catch! you're looking great in mainly men's world!

My husband often ask me why I wouldn't join him...

I was happy to read a book IF I went with him before 2008. But, he was usually going in the rain, at night etc, because 'IT was perfect tide, moon, weather'....
But in 2008, we sold everything and took off in an RV to travel. In 2009 we spent 4 months traveling Alaska. You CANNOT be in Alaska and NOT fish, so I learned. I have to admit, it's alot of fun. (I don't do any gutting, just catching :).

I think every parent should teach their child to at least know how and let them decide if they like it. I have met many great people fishing. 'True' fisherman usually don't smoke, drink and leave the environment better than they found it. You are out in the fresh air and in beautiful places, experiencing a day you will fondly remember.

That comes from a 'city girl'. My dads idea of fishing with us kids was a drop line off a NY bridge with worms. But we had fun. (And my mom got a break )
Now, I know what fishing is!
Nancy

I was happy to read a book IF I went with him before 2008.
oh, been there...done that :)

........I think every parent should teach their child to at least know how and let them decide if they like it. I have met many great people fishing.
me too

Nancy, I want to meet you!

Could you come and teach me? I would like to learn from a girl :)

I'm a fly fisherman. I haven't had much opportunity to fish for the past few years, but I just moved to Utah and I'm losing my mind waiting for spring!

Sent from my phone with my giant, uncoordinated sausage thumbs.

Nice pics and blog.

I'm a fly fisherman, but mostly warmwater. Not sure where you are, but around here that means largely lakes for panfish, bass, etc. My goal for this year is a short-nose gar. I too quickly got into tying and everything else. Haven't caught many trout on the fly, but my first was on my own fly, a leader I furled, on a 4-piece 5-wt I built myself. Been working on 5-6 inch streamers for this year lately. It's actually part of the reason I would like a macro for my next lens (shooting flies I tie, not the fish I catch ;) ).

I am usually too busy fishing to worry about the camera, so I'm glad to live vicariously through others photos, especially when there is over a foot of ice on the water right now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back