Lets see your editing skills

andyjorgen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of the things I am having the hardest times with is post processing. I'm still a total novice at photography in general, but the editing is kicking me around.

How do you guys look a at a picture and formulate in your heads all the creative things that could be done with it?

Show me what you can do to my picture.

CanadianG2.png

lowered brightness, added contrast, sharpened a bit, just a touch of saturation, enhanced the original highlight in the eye, and added some more light / reflection to the bottom of the eye (can't see it too well at this size though). Also did some noise reduction... it was bad!

Your original is on top... minus noise

$cacacaca.jpg

Last edited:
The seven minute edit.

$8593484737_6e2aed85b2_o.jpg

Saying it was bad was being gentle...

OP.. why is your shot so noisy? It is really bad! No exif.. so I can't see how you shot! Is this from a cell phone or something?

OP.. why is your shot so noisy? It is really bad! No exif.. so I can't see how you shot! Is this from a cell phone or something?

It's a Pentax ;)

Really? Now if you had said Sony, I would have believed it!

(I see.. user profile... Pentax). Didn't check that! But even so... most Pentax's will do better than that! lol!

Here's mine. Seems a bit tame seeing it next to Charlie's and Ceeboy's though.

I didn't do anything to the water, and the color is evidently very different. What did you guys do to change the color so much, was it a Hue adjustment?

My adjustments were LCE, burned the water to the rear of the duck to darken it a bit, noise reduction, contrast bump, levels to darken the whole image a bit, and sharpen.
Edited in PS.

$CanadianG2_kk.jpg

Here's mine. Seems a bit tame seeing it next to Charlie's and Ceeboy's though.

I didn't do anything to the water, and the color is evidently very different. What did you guys do to change the color so much, was it a Hue adjustment?

My adjustments were LCE, burned the water to the rear of the duck to darken it a bit, noise reduction, contrast bump, levels to darken the whole image a bit, and sharpen.
Edited in PS.

View attachment 40130

Blue water jumped in on a curves adjustment to the cheek (white) a little too much, but for a quick edit, it's ok. Getting rid of the noise helped a lot too... I notice you didn't kill the noise?

I left the Luminance noise and removed only the color noise. Sorry, should have been more specific.

Blue water jumped in on a curves adjustment to the cheek (white)

Gotcha ! Thanks for the explanation. I didn't do any adjustments to the color balance. Since I have no reference to the colors of this duck, I chose to leave that alone.

But yeah, I can see the reason for the color shift after reading your explanation. The white spot did have a bit of yellow to it.

When you're stuck on a file, I always recommend a heavy vignette, some aggressive tone mapping, and hosting on photobucket :sexywink:

CanadianG2_zpsa5fc6cfe.jpg

Kidding of course, Charlie's edit is really good. But his does not look like an awesome fire goose.

When you're stuck on a file, I always recommend a heavy vignette, some aggressive tone mapping, and hosting on photobucket :sexywink:

Kidding of course, Charlie's edit is really good. But his does not look like an awesome fire goose.

Is that a challenge? lol!

I prefer RadioActive Geese myself... feeding on the bottoms of our rivers... all that toxic sludge... scary, huh?
$rg222xxxxx.jpg

Last edited:
Charlie, Ceeboy,

You couldn't raise the contrast without clipping the highlights??! The highlights in the original are not clipped -- they're close but that's no excuse.

On the board 100 times:

I will not clip highlights in post processing.

Joe

$goose.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back