lord of the ring discuss?

Sutherland voices Raistlin, Tanis gets his voice from Rosenbaum (Lex Luthor in Smallville)
Oh...it's animated. That makes more sense. Should be even better then.

on the subject of wizards and magic and stuff... those Harry Potter Books/Movies were rubbish
That's one opinion...the sales figures would say that most disagree with that. I wouldn't class them in the same genre as the other fantasy books we are discussing...they are much more contemporary. I've read them all, some a few times over. I think they really have a good feel to them. More than most other fantasy books I've read...they really bring you into their world...which is often what a fantasy reader is looking for. I think it's great that they were so successful with children especially given that their competition is video games, TV & movies. Anything that gets more kids to read, is OK in my books.

I also picked up the first H.P. and put it down. It was a few years later when my wife finally convinced me to read the first one, followed by the next three. After that I was hooked and I read the rest as the came out.

I dont know whats wrong with you people. Considering the time they were written the books are absolute genius to anyone who is willing to lend some imagination to them.

Peter Jackson did an outstanding job in translating the books into film... if you found them boring then maybe you should just avoid any films that are that length, as it isnt the content that is boring (and if you thought it is then you shouldn't see the films in the first place) and certainly not the duration between the 'battle scenes'.

Having a huge interest in the visual arts, i was in awe of the beauty of every frame of those films and am not sure why anyone else with the same interest wouldnt think the same. Sure they can be boring if you allow yourself to fall asleep and then have to rewatch the same parts over again.

But each to thier own of course... and the above is a good example of why i try not to talk about film on this board, because im such a film buff and i never believe anyone else's opinions are good enough. :lol:

Thank you Archy. I have watched each movie 3 times each. I absolutely love the story, and the movies, but have not read the books. Im blown away by the way the movie was made. I guess ya have to be into that type of movie to really appreciate how it was created. I just really dig it. :thumbup::thumbup:

I think it's great that they were so successful with children especially given that their competition is video games, TV & movies. Anything that gets more kids to read, is OK in my books.

I Agree. I also think their success was more due to social factors than literary merits.

in reference to Harry Potter, i think it was just the kid who played him that really irritated me, Put me off everything to do with the whole thing.

in LOTR, are Frodo and that other fat hobbit a bit Bokeback Mountain? There was a lot of soft focus and gazing into each others eyes and saying how much they loved each other in the movie. were they like that in the original books?

I just didn't know if they were two separate thoughts or if I was going to have to defend myself. lol

Mikey is SO not the insulting type.....unless you're nasty and rude. Then, watch out. He's been known to lay the smack down with the mere raise of an eyebrow. It's very 'The Rock'esque.

I love LOTR....it's among my alltime favorite movie(s).

in LOTR, are Frodo and that other fat hobbit a bit Bokeback Mountain? There was a lot of soft focus and gazing into each others eyes and saying how much they loved each other in the movie. were they like that in the original books?
They were close but I don't think it was meant to have any romantic connotations. Sam can't wait to get home to marry Rosie Cotton. I believe they end up having 7 children.

in reference to Harry Potter, i think it was just the kid who played him that really irritated me, Put me off everything to do with the whole thing.
My wife is a huge H.P. fan...but she doesn't like the movies much. The books are much better...and you don't have to put up with Dainel Radclift in the books.

There was a lot of soft focus and gazing into each others eyes and saying how much they loved each other in the movie. were they like that in the original books?

The relationship is supposed to be more like family... something like Frodo a father figure to Sam. But yea, some parts of the book are a bit too... tender? Like holding hands and sighing. I guess it's supposed to be innocent and merry. *shrugs*

The relationship is supposed to be more like family... something like Frodo a father figure to Sam. But yea, some parts of the book are a bit too... tender? Like holding hands and sighing. I guess it's supposed to be innocent and merry. *shrugs*
It was written in a much more innocent time after all.

Also, in the book, Frodo is quite a bit older than the other hobbits. I believe he's 50 (middle aged for hobbits) and Sam is closer to 30, or something like that.

Well I grew up reading the chronicles of Narnia (probably had it first read to me when I was 3 and read it by myself at 7) so eventually you kind of graduate to LOTR. I quite enjoyed the hobbit and blasted through the trilogy so I would say a big thumbs up. At school in junior high we had to read the second and third books which took a bit of the enjoyment out of it, although we did get to skip school and see the second LOTR when it came out so that wasn't bad!

That being said, I am not one to be in with all the hype (I can't imagine wondering around in a time period costume for instance) however I thought the storyline and character development were brilliant.

Since God created man, and man created the Transformers, the Transformers are like a gift from God, Randal!

I agree with Elias, also...the Transformers are the best ever. I'm so excited for Transformers 2 in 2009. Even the original cartoon was good, despite it's horrible continuity, and lack of consistent plot.

Most reactions

Back