lord of the ring discuss?

Tolkien took a subtle approach to the line between good and evil, and how different people interact. Interesting that the great Narnia series was created in same period, and had similar themes.
In case you didn't know...Tolkien and C.S Lewis were friends. They were a part of a little literary club called 'The Inklings'.

You don't want to know the depths of my nerdiness when it come to this.

I've read LOTR many, many times (not so much since the moves came out). The Hobbit (of course). The Silmarillion a number of times (great book). I have the new one that came out last year, 'The Children of Hurin'. I've also have several of the H.O.M.E. (history of Middle Earth) series books.

Actually I did know that (not the name of the group though, that's pretty cool).

..... I was trying to hide my total movie geek-ery :mrgreen: (not that there's anything wrong with that). Though since there seems to be a few of us on here, might as well out myself as a complete movie dork :thumbup:, we even dressed up for the movie releases at my store.

we even dressed up for the movie releases at my store.
I didn't go that far...although I did see them all on the first day, midnight screening.

It was my boss's idea, he was truly obsessed. Kinda fun, he got us to dress up for just about anything to avoid the hideous uniform..... the highlight was a red-haired co-worker who came in as Ron Weasley for Harry Potter and two little girls dissed him with a big "You're Ron Weasley? Ewwwwww".

Hmmm, this is making me an uber-dork isn't it :lol:

Silmarillion a number of times (great book). I have the new one that came out last year, 'The Children of Hurin'. I've also have several of the H.O.M.E. (history of Middle Earth) series books.

I also read The Silmarillion once or twice. Now that is a dense book. Parts are very entertaining, but I got lost with so many characters.

Also bought The Children of Hurin, but it's waiting on my shelve for a time when I can read it at ease.

It was my boss's idea, he was truly obsessed. Kinda fun, he got us to dress up for just about anything to avoid the hideous uniform..... the highlight was a red-haired co-worker who came in as Ron Weasley for Harry Potter and two little girls dissed him with a big "You're Ron Weasley? Ewwwwww".

Hmmm, this is making me an uber-dork isn't it :lol:

Just so long as you aren't just PRETENDING to be an uber-dork just to get all the girls that us real uber-dorks should be getting.

P.S. something on topic...

I also read The Silmarillion once or twice. Now that is a dense book. Parts are very entertaining, but I got lost with so many characters.

Very good book! Love it. But then again I read thje old Testament too, just because I thought it exciting with all the bloodshed and all the girls in there ;)

I got the money for my first car from programming a Tolkien tex/graphic adventure game for the C64 ;)

Speaking of the fantasy genre...has anyone read anything from Terry Brooks?

I'm currently reading the first trilogy in the Shanara series (almost done the third book). It's alright, but not great. I won't be reading these ones again.

I do like the main books in the Dragon Lance series by Weis and Hickman, I've read them a time or two.

Very good book! Love it. But then again I read thje old Testament too, just because I thought it exciting with all the bloodshed and all the girls in there ;)

I guess you also read the divine comedy and Beowulf?

I got the money for my first car from programming a Tolkien tex/graphic adventure game for the C64 ;)

That's really cool! In a very geeky kind of way!

Do you still have the program? I think I have my old C64 in my parent's house...

Strange enough for me, i love tolkien, but everthing else i started to read afterwards seemed like either a cheap copy of tolkien or like just not up to the same standard.

i will never be able to enjoy and fantasy novel i suppse since i read tolkien in depth.

I guess you also read the divine comedy and Beowulf?

That's really cool! In a very geeky kind of way!

Dou you still have the program? I think I have my old C64 in my parent's house...

Errm, the original Beowulf text is even on the shelf here ;)

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans serif][SIZE=+1]Hwæt! We Gardena in geardagum,
þeodcyninga, þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,

Also got Sir Gawayin and the Green Knight in the original language ;)

As for that computer game, it was based on the tale of Tuor and his return to Gondolin, German only though, I am afraid.

should still have some copies of it around, but have to search ;)
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Speaking of the fantasy genre...has anyone read anything from Terry Brooks?

I do like the main books in the Dragon Lance series by Weis and Hickman, I've read them a time or two.

Enjoyable read also, much lighter than Tolkien (except maybe the end and the story of the Everman). By main books do you mean the first trilogy (Chronicles) or also the second (Legends)? I've read those six and find all of them good... mayb the 2nd part better. I've also read some other books in the series, but few are worthwhile. (Did you know there is a direct to DVD animated movie coming up these days?)

I also like Moorcock's Eternal Champion series, specially Elric of Melniboné and Leiber's Fafhr and the Gray Mouser.

Most reactions

Back