MEME

Ernicus said:
The pretty much annoying thing of all of this is that people keep focusing on the memes instead of the challenging the moderators decision publicly versus privately. Can anyone not read or what. I see mountains being made of molehills, subjects matters being created, invented, or twisted for arguments sake.

It has nothing to do with the damn pictures, but the attitude and challenging nature of a decision made that was not a favored one. Bottom line.

If you don't like someones decision, discuss it privately, or let it go, or leave. Really simple.

/rant

IMO, the only reason that the members can't publicly disagree with a mod is because the creator of the forum rules does not want room for negotiation, or any type of respectful dissent regardless of the subject matter.

Do you know what that sounds like on paper? An autocratic dictatorship.

The reason is, or at least should be, to not create countless of dumb posts and stupid thread spawns as this one has done. Maybe I see it differently having run my own forum, who knows? It's not about dictatorship, tyranny, or anything of that nature, it's about not creating a mess of the forums over something as simple as a disagreement or bad call. Right, wrong, or indifferent, disagreements should be handled in private.

Good thing that the spawning of this thread being "stupid" is just an opinion.

I for one find it to be funny.

Good thing that the spawning of this thread being "stupid" is just an opinion.

I for one find it to be funny.

It was funny at first, lol. To me now it's just stupid as it's still being dragged on and others are actually getting upset over it. Actually, that last part is still funny. lol.

Ernicus said:
The pretty much annoying thing of all of this is that people keep focusing on the memes instead of the challenging the moderators decision publicly versus privately. Can anyone not read or what. I see mountains being made of molehills, subjects matters being created, invented, or twisted for arguments sake.

It has nothing to do with the damn pictures, but the attitude and challenging nature of a decision made that was not a favored one. Bottom line.

If you don't like someones decision, discuss it privately, or let it go, or leave. Really simple.

/rant

IMO, the only reason that the members can't publicly disagree with a mod is because the creator of the forum rules does not want room for negotiation, or any type of respectful dissent regardless of the subject matter.

Welcome to the internet - its not a democracy ;)

Honestly though the primary reason we don't allow open challenging is because it general spirals out of control very quickly. Quick and harsh words can be said and before you know it a minor problem between two people suddenly involves half the forum, with everyone pitching in with their viewpoint, a few trolling the thread and someone posting random musical songs now and again. In short it makes it very hard to almost impossible to actually resolve the issue.

That is why for any disagreement (member to member or member to mod/admin) we greatly encourage the use of the PM system to privately sort out differences. As I've said if a member has a problem you can report it, talk to the Admin and, final last ditch we have the support and feedback section if you feel that we've a policy/problem that needs a wider audience and isn't just a private affair.

Honestly remember mods are not bad guys; we are just regular forum members who try to keep the site community running smooth. Every now and again there is a hiccup and sometimes we have to take a harsh line with people who step out of line. We really do try to keep any form of punishment or such to the bare minimum, but we are not afraid to use them when needed.

Ernicus said:

/rant

The reason is, or at least should be, to not create countless of dumb posts and stupid thread spawns as this one has done. Maybe I see it differently having run my own forum, who knows? It's not about dictatorship, tyranny, or anything of that nature, it's about not creating a mess of the forums over something as simple as a disagreement or bad call. Right, wrong, or indifferent, disagreements should be handled in private.

If they don't want a mess of the forum then don't make bad calls. People will more likely follow a stupid rule if the moderator is consistent. It's honestly not that hard to not screw up with forum moderating. It's not like we're discussing foreign policy or gay marriage here. If someone disobeys the rules, there needs to be consequences. If said rules are only enforced half of the time, then the rule is bull**** to begin with.

To help explain my opinion of "stupid" and "annoying". This very threads creation has helped confuse people and spawn more chit. Look at the first thing typed...."
Recently I got banned for posting meme".

That is not true and is what leads to confusion and arguing, posting things that aren't true.

If they don't want a mess of the forum then don't make bad calls.

I'm not going to get involved in whether or not I agree with the call made, it's irrelevant and it's not my forum, my moderator, or my place.

However I will say this, you can't just make a statement like that and expect it to hold any water. Humans will make bad calls in any situation. It's guaranteed. When it does happen, that's when I, and most forum admins and moderators, believe the discussion of such a thing should be handled in private, for reasons already stated many times so I won't regurgitate it.

Overread said:
Welcome to the internet - its not a democracy ;)

Might want to get together with BigMike on that one, he seems to have a different understanding. Refer to the last paragraph.

$image-1065306563.jpg

If they don't want a mess of the forum then don't make bad calls. People will more likely follow a stupid rule if the moderator is consistent. It's honestly not that hard to not screw up with forum moderating. It's not like we're discussing foreign policy or gay marriage here. If someone disobeys the rules, there needs to be consequences. If said rules are only enforced half of the time, then the rule is bull**** to begin with.
You and some of the others who share your opinions on this should start a forum and show everyone how it should be done right. Once the authority at TPF sees how easily you pull that off, they're sure to change. By then, of course, you'll have the mostest, bestest forum on the intertubes, and that will not only be awesome, it'll be profitable to you for sure!

Be sure to post a link to the new awesome forum you crank up! I can hardly wait to see true democracy, never a "bad call" and 100% consistency at all times. It's gonna be awesome!! :thumbup::D

The only reason I am really even commenting now with all of this is for this reason.

Regardless of any of the bullchit that goes on, I love this site. It has done more for me in the past few months that I could ever repay. It is a great place to learn, share, and F off all at the same time. Things go wrong, it happens, things go right, it happens. I don't like to see people bash something or someone that has personally helped me in any way.

People need to refocus in my opinion. The problem is not with the site. The problem is not with the moderators. The problem is not with the admins. To me, and I will always see it this way, the problem is with a member thinking he is above the site.

No forum on any planet will go under because of one person.

I love this place, always will, and Schwetty is a cool guy, I like him and his work. But I won't lose a second sleep should he never appear here again. Nor take up arms against the place because they smacked the back of the hand of a person who has pushed the line a few times and finally got called on it.

Call me what you will, think of me how you want...I am me. That's how I feel.

The posted MEME's where VERY clearly MEME photos which were changed to links and ultimately led to the banning of a member. Sure the "reason" they were banned may have been public disagreement but had the rules remained consistent, the embedded photo wouldn't have been removed and nothing else would have happened. I'm just saying if there are going to be rules such as those, they should make sense and be consistent.

As I stated the choice of what counts and what does not generally comes down to the individual moderator/admin who mods a thread. As such there are always going to be minor cases where one mod might take a more strict or lax action as compared to what others might have. This is simply a case where one mod chose a stricter action.

So in other words, I have no way of knowing whether or not I'm breaking that rule in advance. By definition that is not a rule. Rules are not opinion based. This is comparable to one police officer enforcing a 35mph limit on the same road as a different officer enforcing 55mph because they both have different opinions on what is 'too fast' or 'speeding'.

Is it time for another "kum ba yah" before this thread gets locked too?

Shouldn't be long now, IMO it has run its course. lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back