MEME

People lets all calm down a little.

There is NO nor ever was there (at least in my time) an "anit-meme" rule.

We do have a rule which says you cannot embed photos into the forum or upload them to the sites gallery if they are not your own works (or works that you do not own copyright/distribution rights over). This rule is one we typically enforce as a means to both prevent people claiming others photos as their own works (or to present the idea that they are) and to also protect the rights over those who do own the original copyright of media on the internet.

It is a rule that we typically don't enforce to the letter, instead we take the harder route (it is harder as there are far more judgement calls) to attempt to work between a harsh enforcement and a lighter touch in allowing photos to be embedded. Typically a clear meme photo or something from ICANHAZCHEEZEBURGER is not going to be changed to a link.

There are times when there will be disagreements and also ones when newer moderators take a little time to settle into the spirit of the rules that we've got outlined. Being childish and calling out or challenging the moderators/admin on this (or any other rule); is, however, going to result in trouble. As always I encourage people to resolve differences in private. Use the PM system to talk frankly to the mod in question, or if you don't feel comfortable with that talk to another mod or raise the issue with the admin direct. You can also file a report on the post, which will flag it up for all the mods and admin team to see and read and act upon (I would, however, urge members to remember that moderation of the site is voluntary and that replies might take a few days to get fully cleared as we all appear here and there and discuss over a longer period).

So... you can only post memes that you have made yourself, or have express permission from the copyright owner to post, per forum rules correct? Or have I misunderstood? And thats not just for memes, but for any picture you directly post here?

Pixmedic - the letter of the rules is that you may only post images as an embedded photo (as opposed to a direct link) in the site which you own the copyright of or are allowed to distribute by the copyright holder (which in most cases means photos that you, yourself, have taken).

We allow a level of leniency with that rule when the images posted are clearly stated not to be the posters own work and might be of meme or commonly used photo nature. It's a hazy line rather than a firm one. We do want to allow members to have their fun on the site, but we also aim to protect the honesty of the site as well and part of that is protecting the copyright of all media creators not just those who are members of the forums -- whilst also allowing to educate members as to the nature of copyright itself.

It is the harder path that we take by allowing common use meme images to be posted on the site, and its something that is a perk not a rules written right for members who agree to use this site (ergo we do expect members to not abuse it).

Overread said:
People lets all calm down a little.

There is NO nor ever was there (at least in my time) an "anit-meme" rule.

We do have a rule which says you cannot embed photos into the forum or upload them to the sites gallery if they are not your own works (or works that you do not own copyright/distribution rights over). This rule is one we typically enforce as a means to both prevent people claiming others photos as their own works (or to present the idea that they are) and to also protect the rights over those who do own the original copyright of media on the internet.

It is a rule that we typically don't enforce to the letter, instead we take the harder route (it is harder as there are far more judgement calls) to attempt to work between a harsh enforcement and a lighter touch in allowing photos to be embedded. Typically a clear meme photo or something from ICANHAZCHEEZEBURGER is not going to be changed to a link.

There are times when there will be disagreements and also ones when newer moderators take a little time to settle into the spirit of the rules that we've got outlined. Being childish and calling out or challenging the moderators/admin on this (or any other rule); is, however, going to result in trouble. As always I encourage people to resolve differences in private. Use the PM system to talk frankly to the mod in question, or if you don't feel comfortable with that talk to another mod or raise the issue with the admin direct. You can also file a report on the post, which will flag it up for all the mods and admin team to see and read and act upon (I would, however, urge members to remember that moderation of the site is voluntary and that replies might take a few days to get fully cleared as we all appear here and there and discuss over a longer period).

This is where I have the problem with the rule. If you simply state this isn't mine and link credit to whoever the original owner may be. No
Harm. In fact I allow edits on my photos but does that mean I allow other people to post them
On the forum? Yes I do.

Technically if we want to get down to the nitty gritty it isnt allowed for people to post edits of my photo directly into the thread. Instead they should link to it for OP or whoever the image owner is, Correct?

Please any admin chime in I'd like to see and head your thoughts.

I appreciate the clarification. For a minute, It just sounded like there was some different rule for memes. I get it though. Thanks.

We need to make a thread where people put pictures that other people can freely caption and put in other threads! TPF Memes!

-Ken Turner

View attachment 14889made this, someone caption it.

Sorry Joshua, but I think you're going to be banned for that. You don't own the rights to the picture of that hat, and you don't own rights to the photo forum logo. MODS! CAN WE GET A BAN OVER HERE!?!

I'm joking. For those who can't read sarcasm.

This is where I have the problem with the rule. If you simply state this isn't mine and link credit to whoever the original owner may be. No
Harm. In fact I allow edits on my photos but does that mean I allow other people to post them
On the forum? Yes I do.

Technically if we want to get down to the nitty gritty it isnt allowed for people to post edits of my photo directly into the thread. Instead they should link to it for OP or whoever the image owner is, Correct?

Please any admin chime in I'd like to see and head your thoughts.

The use of the "allow others to edit my photos" also enables those people who choose to edit those photos the ability to display their alterations in the forum as an embedded photo - typically within the same thread as well the original photo was posted. This is a practical approach to retaining as much direct visual information on the forums as we can.

TheKenTurner said:
I'm joking. For those who can't read sarcasm.

I can't read sarcasm.

Compaq said:
There is a clear difference between law and politics. Law concerns itself with HOW IT IS, politics concerns itself with HOW IT SHOULD BE. People would do good in separating those two terms in this thread.

Schwetty's punishment is a matter of law. The rules clearly states what is allowed and what isn't. He broke those rules, and the mods acted according to current "legislation". Debating whether his punishment was just, is nonsense. The rules are clear.

Now, for those that disagree with the current rules, using this specific case and arguing for a change is politics. These rules are bigger than this forum though, they have roots in the American laws. I know little of those, but a private, serious photography forum can't suddenly start accepting posts with embedded photos that the posted does not have copyrights for. That should be clear to everyone. This case, however, falls within the grey zone of the rules. Fair use has already been mentioned. It's clear that the laws here offer a certain degree of "personal interpretation of the situation in question", and the mods acted as they saw fit. Stop whining about Schwetty's short ban, and put your efforts in changing the legislation, if this is very important to you.

It's even mentioned in the Fair Use Act linked to earlier that more often than not will the matters fall within the grey zone, and not have clear, apparent and obvious solutions. The world isn't black and white, and often the law isn't either.

Lol

Recently I got banned for posting meme. Here is what I think.

p600399123.jpg

I nominated the above photo for the TPF Photo of The Month, for July, 2012. Here is the July photo of the month thread. I hope you will all go to the thread and VOTE FOR this meme entry!http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-july-2012-photo-month-nomination-thread.html

If this meme wins, it's an affront to the other nominees. Don't get me wrong, it's hilarious as hell, and I get the political message, but it does not belong in the photo of the month, in my humble opinion.

If this meme wins, it's an affront to the other nominees. Don't get me wrong, it's hilarious as hell, and I get the political message, but it does not belong in the photo of the month, in my humble opinion.

Compaq, do you know how hard it is to make THREE 2 year olds to slap their face all at the same time? It is almost as HARD as shooting those long shutter stars by invisible! I demand more RESPECT bro!

LOL, valid points :p How do I know this isn't just photoshopped, though ;)

So really, the use of emoticons, such as this: http://forums.unitedoperations.net/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif
is also against forum rules since I don't have the copyright or the explicit permission from its' creator EVEN THOUGH it may be considered fair use. I would also assume that the direct embedding of YOUTUBE videos would also be against forum rules for the same reasons even thought the forum automatically FORCES the embedded video from any youtube link posted. Glad there is no ambiguity. http://www.utteraccess.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/sarcasm.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back