Money isn't everything

I'm an aircraft mechanic, and the DFW area is basically the place to be for that profession - I get job offers in my email weekly. So I know I can get a job. Really, the only variables are pay and benefits

Don't get fired, although there is work to be had it's a somewhat tight nit job force you are in and when they call for a reference you don't want a bad one, or just as bad is when they won't say anything about your performance which screams bad news to new employers.

Take the time when you get it to line something up ahead of time, then give proper notice. Leave in good grace with your head up.

I'm an aircraft mechanic, and the DFW area is basically the place to be for that profession - I get job offers in my email weekly. So I know I can get a job. Really, the only variables are pay and benefits

Don't get fired, although there is work to be had it's a somewhat tight nit job force you are in and when they call for a reference you don't want a bad one, or just as bad is when they won't say anything about your performance which screams bad news to new employers.

Take the time when you get it to line something up ahead of time, then give proper notice. Leave in good grace with your head up.
Yeah, that's the plan for now. It really is a very small community - I've never had a job where I didn't know someone there from somewhere else. (I've moved around a lot too - which is pretty normal for aircraft mechanics.)

Absolute worst case (I get fired and don't have a new job within a month), I would go contracting. Not great, but it's a guaranteed job making 20-25 an hour. Benefits wouldn't be great, and I would most likely have to move, but I can always get a job if I have to.

Last edited:
In my work everything has a price I dont work on an hourly rate, the faster you are the more you make so I dont factor areas and taxes and if the price is not right I walk, tomorrow im starting a second fix on a 5 bedroom house (joinery, doors, skirting, architrave, ballastades) the price is £750 which will take me 3 1/2 days some jobs you can make £400 in a day and others you could be down to £120 a day, quantity surveyor's call it swing and round abouts

Well, all this makes it seem even less likely that you'd be able to say with certainty that $30/hour doesn't sound good.

How do you work that out at the rate i'm going this year and the exchange rate i work out my average is about $58 per hour

Can you think beyond your own circumstances for one moment? You get paid per job, not per hour, and live in a certain area of a different country. You know how much money it takes to live comfortably in the area you live, based on what you get per job and how many jobs you have per year.

An so...NOT knowing how many hours per week a person works, NOT knowing the cost of living in that person's area, NOT knowing their tax burden, NOT knowing what other benefits they do or do not get along with that salary, NOT even living in the same country...HOW then could you know what is a good hourly rate or not? A "good salary" is relative, yet you are speaking of it as an absolute.

I am working as a college professor and I make more than $80/hour, which sounds fantastic right? BUT...I only get paid for classroom hours and not for planning, grading, or office hours. I am limited to how many classroom hours I am allowed to do per semester. I don't have any benefits and my salary ends when the semester ends, so I don't get paid during winter or summer breaks. I'm allowed one sick day per semester and if I get sick a second time, my pay gets docked. I live in an expensive area of the United States. I'm not allowed to apply for unemployment benefits if my classes get cancelled because of low enrollment.

Add all that up and my $80+/hour is a really sh*tty salary. If I could get steady work at $30/hour and benefits, I'd actually be in a better position than I am right now.

Last edited:
that is decent money for most places. not sure i am so keen on the growth or future in the nursing sector however.

This ought to tell you: American Association of Colleges of Nursing | Nursing Shortage

Don't get sick.
medical assistants? Anyone less expensive? How many are really needed?
when i hear about shortages, nurses, doctors. what i think about is things like "follow up appointments".

Like if i walk into a doctors office, i notice that the majority of them don't look to sick. say i have some flu, they give me a antibiotic prescription. seven days or whatever. And make a "follow up appointment".
A lot of medical practices do this. In which most cases by then, whatever ailed you is gone now. if you even really needed to be seen to begin with it questionable. But now you have a "follow up appointment". which basically means they check your height, weight, look down our throat. same thing they did a week before. Agree with you that you are perfectly fine. And bill your poor insurance company again. Seems they have very busy schedules in some doctors offices. It appears they are understaffed. But a lot of it is about overscheduling and keeping the money coming in. Things like "followup appointments".
Or like one time i went in, i was a little under the weather. they check me out. On my way out they remind me i need to schedule my physical. As i apparently was overdue. why they couldn't tap on my knee while they were looking in my ears for a ear infection i couldn't tell you. It is all about keeping the schedule full and money coming in. Or how about a appointment, where you go in, see a practical nurse, or not even that maybe a nurses assistant. And then they bill that out, and reschedule you to come in AGAIN to see the doctor.. I hate insurance companies in a lot of ways, but sometimes i pity them. I know if i was looking at some of the submitted things, resubmitted things. simple lab results, they ask you to make a appointment to go over lab results. you go in. they tell you everything came back fine. umm okay. so how much did you bill this out for to tell me nothing is wrong with me again? I have pretty good insurance. But if had to pay for this stuff out of pocket. i would be livid. Instead of contemplating a shortage, consider the amount of time they waste to bill it out and keep the waiting room full. The amount of people on the schedule that don't really need to be there.
Medical assistants are not RN's. Completely different ball game here.

Medical assistants are to RN's what burger flippers at McDonald's are to Le Cordon Bleu Chefs.

So, that happened.

I won't know till Thursday if I'm fired or not.

Either way, I will be moving soon.

Not really up to going into the details right now, but it's a lot of bull****.

OK. So, I am officially unemployed right now. We're moving, that is a fact. Tampa sounds promising. I have family near there, and the job market looks good.

I will make less, but - whatever. The next couple weeks will be rough, but I'll be fine after the 1st. Time to buy some boxes and start packing. Goodbye, Texas. I am trying to stay positive about this - and really, there is not much to feel bad about. I saw it coming, welcomed it even, and now it's time to move on. Forward, to the next chapter.

OK. So, I am officially unemployed right now. We're moving, that is a fact. Tampa sounds promising. I have family near there, and the job market looks good.

I will make less, but - whatever. The next couple weeks will be rough, but I'll be fine after the 1st. Time to buy some boxes and start packing. Goodbye, Texas. I am trying to stay positive about this - and really, there is not much to feel bad about. I saw it coming, welcomed it even, and now it's time to move on. Forward, to the next chapter.
awesome! im not going to work now either. I still have a job, I just don't go.
you should move. I heard Syria is nice this time of year.

Haha. Syria. Actually, there are a lot of WELL paying jobs I could get in Afghanistan. Warzone? No thanks. I think I am getting out of the whole defense contractor thing. Back to the (sane) commercial world.

I didn't read the whole thread. Maybe one day while I am gracing the presence of my toilet, I will. Life is too short to be living in any misery and not taking risk. Even if you have everything to lose, it's better to lose it than to keep it and become bitter with what you have. You might as well not have it at all. I packed up my family one day and left with no job, no business, no money and no friends, because we were just tired of the rat race. I remember when I first got to the city that I am at now, my wife and I would dig the seats of our cars to find change in order to feed our kids. We had nothing but the home that we leased with the help of a friend. My wife finally landed a position as a microbiologist for the EPD, and I as a CMO for a SAAS company. I was then recruited to be CIO for a management consulting firm and got a corner office on the 16th floor in downtown Atlanta. I hated my job. I had everything I thought I had wanted, but I just hated it. Without anything to fall back on, I left and started my own business. Today, I own three with several partners, and despite working my rear off, I never work a day in my life. Not only that, but when I want to go out and enjoy the sun, I can do so as I please. I no longer complain about life. It's perfect-- all because I decided to leave everything one day and jump. Society teaches us to become mundane in our adult years, and the only person stopping us from being as ambitious as we were when we were kids is ourselves. Good luck to you, OP.

Society teaches us to become mundane in our adult years, and the only person stopping us from being as ambitious as we were when we were kids is ourselves. Good luck to you, OP.
I think everything will be fine. Just have to get over one small hump, lol.

In a month or two we will all be much better off.

edit
I've done all of this before - just never with a wife and kids in tow. We'll make it. THAT, I know.

Sorry to hear you're having to go through it - but I do have confidence that you'll come out fine. Every job I quit in the past, regardless of circumstance, led me to a better one. It does happen!

Good luck. :hug::

Yeah, I already feel better, lol. And I don't even have a job yet, lol. Honestly not worried about it though. Still getting job offers weekly in my email.

If I get desperate, the work is there. Trying to hold out for something I will be happy with long term.

Oh - and I shaved. That's how serious it is. :lol:

And don't forget - I asked for this. I saw it coming, expected it, welcomed it. This is what I need.

Money can't buy everything.

But poverty can't buy anything.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back