limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
moderndinosaur.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So. Seven years ago today, my father died. I don't go to the cemetery to leave flowers to mark the anniversary. That has no meaning to me. Besides, my father wouldn't really care, either. He'd appreciate the thought, but as for the flowers? He'd just nod. That was his way of saying, "Sure they're nice, but what can I do with them?"

Instead, I just try to do something he would appreciate and be proud of, and not just for today. He was a mechanic, so I make sure I treat my car well - change my own oil, check the tire pressure, and always double clutch.

This year, I dusted off the Polaroid Land Camera 100 he bought in 1965. He loved that camera. He was fascinated with anything mechanical and he loved science, so the idea of a camera that was also a mini photo lab delighted him to no end. I also built a pinhole camera, which he also would have gotten a kick out of. With both, I've been taking pictures of things he built or loved. These are the places where he still lives, and so they make up the only portrait I can do of him.

Here are some of my efforts that I wanted to share today.

When he was outside:
$Caddy.jpg

$Little garage b&w.jpg

(emulsion lift onto watercolor)
$Little garage lift.jpg

(recovered negative)
$Wheelbarrow  negative.jpg

When he was inside:

$Fireplace lift.jpg

And the doors he built:

$Stained glass lift.jpg

The garage was his domain.

$Garage.jpg

$Garage still life P.jpg

(Pinhole)
$Oil cans.jpg

Last edited:
I love the photos and love the way you choose to remember and pay tribute to your dad. I hope some day my kids puts that much thought and heart into my memory. He and you should be proud.

Very cool way to honor your dad's memory. I think the pinhole one is my favorite.
My dad passed eight years ago. He had no hobbies; well, he did some carpentry when he was younger, but hadn't done it in probably 15 years at the time of his death. He had absolutely NO use for anything dealing with sentiment or emotion, so I can identify with the "no flowers on the grave." My dad would be pretty p.o.'ed that we even DID a grave--he said, and I quote, "cremate me, bury my ashes in the backyard, and move on."

So, on the anniversary of his death, I usually just drink a Guinness (he was Irish, his parents were born in the old country), eat some potatoes or pasta--or both, and then listen to Dan Fogelberg's "Leader of the Band." And cry when he says, "my life has been a poor attempt to imitate the man..." Yep, that's about it.

Thanks Larry!

Very cool way to honor your dad's memory. I think the pinhole one is my favorite.
My dad passed eight years ago. He had no hobbies; well, he did some carpentry when he was younger, but hadn't done it in probably 15 years at the time of his death. He had absolutely NO use for anything dealing with sentiment or emotion, so I can identify with the "no flowers on the grave." My dad would be pretty p.o.'ed that we even DID a grave--he said, and I quote, "cremate me, bury my ashes in the backyard, and move on."

So, on the anniversary of his death, I usually just drink a Guinness (he was Irish, his parents were born in the old country), eat some potatoes or pasta--or both, and then listen to Dan Fogelberg's "Leader of the Band." And cry when he says, "my life has been a poor attempt to imitate the man..." Yep, that's about it.

Mine would have said something similar, just in his particular brand of broken English :) "Ah, just dig a hole and bury!" he always said.

:hug::

What an awesome way to pay tribute to someone. Excellent work. It definitely tells a story.

Pinhole is my favorite.

Great way of "being in touch" with your father.

That's an awesome way to remember him. I'm a big fan of celebrate the life, and I think this does just that.

Thanks, folks. It means a lot that what I wanted to do with this is coming across.

When I logged onto TPF today, I did not plan on shedding any tears... So much for plans!

I love the story behind these photos, that's what makes them. Well done.

When I logged onto TPF today, I did not plan on shedding any tears... So much for plans!

I love the story behind these photos, that's what makes them. Well done.

Sorry for ruining your plans :hug::

Well done. It's an interesting project, and very worthwhile. I have to come to believe that it is really only in a portfolio where photography can make any sense in this day and age, so, I approve. The connection between the pieces requires some text, which isn't great from a purist point of view, but whatever. It's a mixed-media portfolio or something, welcome to the future!

I think this could be a book.

The photo of the vise is really superb, all by itself. Just outstanding.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back