Necessary Lenses for a beginner to DSLR

amm024

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently purchased my first DSLR - a Canon Rebel EOS T6i. These are the lenses I have purchased.

Canon:

- EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II (Kit Lens)
- EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Standard Lens
- EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Ultra-Wide Zoom Lens

Tamron :

- 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC All-in-One Zoom Lens

I would love to get into sport and wildlife photography, and am debating whether I should sell my Tamron for money towards a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Telephoto Zoom Lens. Only thing I am unsure about is that there is no Image Stabilization on this Canon Lens. I can't afford the $1100 version with IS at the moment.

Would it make sense to sell my Tamron and use money towards the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L, or sell my Kit Lense - EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II. What functions does my Tamron have that the Canon i wish to purchase has? I know the Tamron has IS which is a plus. I have yet to open my Tamron because Best Buy has a 25 percent stocking fee if product is opened. So i am waiting before I decide.

Some suggestions and advice would be much appreciated. Or if there are any other lenses for budget price that will get the job done.

As well, any other types of lens suggestions would be good. I love Macro shots of close up flowers and insects.

Thanks you!!

Image stabilization / vibration reduction etc. is handy when shutter speed gets low ... with sports or wildlife you tend to shoot with high shutter speed.
Some will say to turn of IS/VR if using high shutter speeds.

Wildlife does require, most of the time, more than 200mm ... I even find 400mm a bit limiting.

I would sell the Tamron "super zoom" whether you buy anything else or not. Those lenses have fairly poor optical performance because it is the price you pay for an extreme zoom range. Everything else looks fine. Work on that zoom.

I believe Sigma are good quality lens. The 100-600 mm zoom sports or normal versions could provide the quality and reach that you will require. This lens is heavy and although it comes with IS (OS), I would recommend a mono-pod for sports.

The 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC is going to be quite soft at both ends of the focal range. The Canon, Tamron or Sigma 70-200 will perform much better. I have the Canon 70-200 F4 non IS. The IS is not needed unless you intend to shoot below 1/200 sec or have hand holding stability problems.

Wildlife will require at least 400mm or more unless you want to shoot zoos and local parks. If you want to go out and shoot in the wild a good telephoto lens is going to make your journey a tonne easier.
There are two ways you can get the reach. Zooms such as Tamron/Sigma 150-600mm or primes like the Canon 300mm F4, 400mm F5.6. All of these lenses are in about the same price range.
Primes usually have a better image quality but are more difficult to live with since you can't just rack the zoom when that bird goes overhead.
I have had the opportunity to use the Sigma contemporary 150-600, Tamron 150-600 G1, Canon 300mm F4 IS, and own the Canon 400mm F5.6.
When I had to choose between the above listed I bought the 400mm F5.6 and it is a great lens. It is sharper even when cropped to 600mm than the Tamron and Sigma.
One more wrench is that Tamron has a second generation 150-600 that I have not tested and appears that it may beat the 400mm F5.6 now. If this was the case I would choose the new Tamron.

I know this is probably not the answer you want but there is no substitute for range.

Most reactions

Back