Need to make a choice on a lens. Any of these good for what I'm looking for?

Thanks! Very Helpful!!! What do you think about this lens? Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD Large Aperture Standard Zoom Lens

or this one? Sigma EX Zoom lens - 18 mm - 50 mm - F/2.8 - Nikon F? Would both of these lenses AF with either my D3100 or he D7000 if I upgrade. I have a credit which is why I am able to upgrade right now (If I decide)

YEAH! Do you like it? Is it in good condition? Would it work with either my D3100 or a D7000 (I'm pretty sure yes)

What is the difference between this lens :

Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Zoom Lens for $419

and this one?

Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Zoom Lens for $669

and yours?

I'm hoping to find a lens to take large group shots with if possible...(like 12 people) but if not ...then moreso a lens to do close ups that are sharp and allow for low light and close distance to subject.

18-50mm F2.8 Ex Dc Macro

Hmm.

You claimed in your first posting you have the "kit lens".

There are two kit lenses for these cameras - a 18-55mm or a 18-110mm.

So shouldnt you already have 18mm at your disposal ?

Yes I have an 18-55mm for my Nikon D3100 but it's an f/4.5-5.6 and I am looking for one with better low light capability, a possible macro capability, and better bokeh.

AMOMENT, you're looking for two different lenses...

A group photo is typically shot "normal" to "wide-angle," and with large depth of field, meaning small aperture.

Close-up/macro shots are typically shot "telephoto," and low-light requires large aperture.

You won't find "one lens to rule them all." If it existed, all photographers would only own that lens. If you drop the low-light requirement, and don't care about being "tack sharp" for the group shot, then 18-105 is probably all you need. If you want/need "tack sharp" group shots low-light close-ups, you need 2 lenses... minimum... and neither of them will be inexpensive...

WT

One lens to rule them all,
one lens to find them,
one lens to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Actually, macro typically also uses high f-numbers, thats why specialized macro primes never have very low f-numbers on them (and can reach very high ones).

Remember, depth of field depends upon focal length, aperture, and distance. Very low distance, such as with macro, translates into very narrow depth of field. Thus macro typically needs high f-numbers.

Try looking at a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 for a little more, Fast lens and very sharp. I think you wold like it.

You need a 2.8 zoom lens for low light this lens will give you what you should need

Okay, thanks! Actually scratch that budget. I'm selling my D3100 and upgrading to a NikonD7000. My range for a lens is $500 and under.

Yes go with the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8

Most reactions

New Topics

Back