NEW Canon 80D

It's about the same here, irrelevant since full frame is a disadvantage for the type of work that I do in 70-80% of the situations.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote.

Anyways, I have $2000 in Canon lenses, buying the Nikon for me would be a lot more expensive for me now.

And again, I'd rather have a higher end crop body that gives me better AF, more FPS and other stuff
that makes sure I don't miss a shot shooting stuff that can't be missed and repeated, and also, again, my 200mm
lens is over 300mm on the crop body which is enough reach for me while 200mm on FF wouldn't be and I'd have
to crop.

And again, sport, wildlife, bird shooters etc.. can't you see it from the other perspective?
All of us shooting APS-C KNOW what full frame does better, and it's NOT better for everything and everyone.

Watch the Z. Arias video that I posted if you haven't.

EDIT: Someone shooting medium format could say the same things about FF that you're saying about APS-C.

Why aren't you using medium format?
ou

No, it wouldn't be better for me, 7D markII would be better for me.
Are you reading what people are writing?
Do you not understand it?

the 7D2 could be better in some situations but probably more expensive

It costs the same here.
Writing same things 3 times seems normal for this thread.

Also, 2 out of 3 lenses I own aren't for full frame anyways.
It's actually cheaper then.

Here in the US the 7dm2 with a pro 100 printer and some other stuff is 1199 after rebate Canon 7D Mark II which is the same price as the 80D body only at launch. Hadn't really thought about it, but unless Canon really does have new sensor tech and the DR is 14+ stops, not sure why people would pick the 80D over the 7dm2. Either that or Canon is dumping off the 7dm2 as quickly as possible to replace it with a 7d3 that has new sensor tech and an AF system that actually works?

Here in the US the 7dm2 with a pro 100 printer and some other stuff is 1199 after rebate Canon 7D Mark II which is the same price as the 80D body only at launch. Hadn't really thought about it, but unless Canon really does have new sensor tech and the DR is 14+ stops, not sure why people would pick the 80D over the 7dm2. Either that or Canon is dumping off the 7dm2 as quickly as possible to replace it with a 7d3 that has new sensor tech and an AF system that actually works?

Agreed and never even thought about a 7dm3.
That would explain the inflated price of the 80D.

+1, because of the cropping my 200 2.8 becomes over 300 2.8, and I need that often for events I shoot.
Even with unlimited funds, I'd still go buy the 7D markII tomorrow because I NEED that for most of my work.

I'd get a FF camera too because that's better suitable for some of it, but if I had to choose one, hi-end crop
(regardless of brand, D7200 is good enough for me already) body is what I'd buy, especially on the Nikon
side with the amazing D500.
I was thinking about this thread this morning as I was photographing my favorite hawk eating a duck. I took this with my lowly 7dm2. It is cropped to 2791x3855 or about 10.7 MP. If I had a D610 the image would only be about 2000x2750 or about 5.5 MP. If I went to print at 200 DPI The 7dm2 would give me a 19x16 vs 14x10. So as I said earlier, I don't want or need a full frame camera..
George Jr with Ruddy Duck 3_13 1 by Kristofer Rowe, on Flickr

YOU'RE KILLING ME LARRY!

I'm sure some have seen (at least 6,810 views) this video summing up the 80D release. The host makes a pun about the irony that 80D and A.D.D. sound the same. Maybe Canon has a little when it comes to understanding the current market.

The 80D's price is in no way "inflated". jeeze...

EVERY new enthusiast body comes out at $1199 to $1299 nowadays. That gives the manufacturer some extra profit margin, and keeps the supply in line with the demand, and ensures that if you really WANT that new camera, that you pay the full, introductory price. After the early initial demand drops, then the price drops. The Nikon D7100 was once a $1299 camera...a couple months ago, I saw a big batch of factory refurbished models being let go at $498. The Canon-brand end-of-life signal is the bundling of the camera with one of those Canon printers and a rebate.

EVERY Canon, EVERY Nikon begins its run at full-bore introductory pricing. Later, rebates are typically used, instead of price reductions. Rebates must be redeemed, paperwork must be completed and dealers and the camera makers get higher actual revenues,whereas price reductions COST money for the dealers and the camera makers by lowering the amount of money that the good sell for. A $200 rebate that goes un-claimed means there's an extra $200 in it on the retail end!

So, NO, the 80D's price is NOT in any way imaginable "inflated". You want a low price? You buy a model of camera that is one model back, or two models back, or one model back but refurbished.

Also 70D owners are not the target market for the 80D. In general you have to skip a generation for a major update to your camera if you're going model to model within the same line. The upgrade for the 70D owners is the 7DMII.

Heck even in the 1D world many skip a generation; although the slower turnaround of models sometimes makes them cave earlier; whilst lower lines get updated very regularly so there's less pain in waiting.

As the video in post 56 shows--this segment is very much geared toward specifications and capabilities; the buyers in this, specific category are people who want certain feature sets. When I read through the dPreview first-look piece, it became immediately clear to me that this new 80D has a major emphasis on video-centric features. The high-end consumer camera, the serious enthusiast's camera, the prosumer camera du joure--however one wants to look at the $1199-$1399 camera models of the past few years, that camera slot is one that appeals to people who really want to use their cameras, often to do more than one thing. Today, there are many people who want good stills and decent video, or they want a good, capable video camera that uses Canon EF mount lenses. The younger 20- and 30-something set, the people that make videos for YouTube, the people who like stills, who also want to shoot video...the 80D has improved on some important video needs. The serious enthusiast likes a state of the art camera; the prosumer is a buyer who almost always upgrades every generation and he MUST HAVE the latest specifications and he MUST have the latest, most cutting-edge technology. Many people misunderstand the prosumer; the prosumer is the quintessential early upgrader, he is the quintessential serial early adopter of any new technology, like the dual-pixel AF, or the motorized zoom. This price slot is a big area of emphasis for prosumer buyers.

Camera buyers segment in to some predictable groups. All the camera makers know this. The 80D's emphasis on improved video features and a new configurable, power zoom concept,a new zoom lens for the power system or for hand-operated zooming and for stills, with a basically silent focusing motor, and in-lens stabilization. Added microphone inputs...this is a must-have camera for the lower end of the video creation amateur market, for the younger, less-affluent video crowd who wants to have a DUAL-duty video and stills or stills and video camera that is affordable. YEAH--it is $1199 today...but in a few years, one will likely be able to snap one up for $799 brand new. AND THAT is the way the d-slr business has been working for some time now: when the 80D is old-hat, it will still be an incredible asset to the Canon brand line-up in APS-C. All good things come to those who wait. Want one cheap? WAIT.

I rarely buy anything new unless it's a great deal. I have 5 Canon mount lenses, so I'm already partially vested ( in EF as well). My current subject is mostly indoor sports. I used to be hung up on FPS. I wasted a lot of post time deleting useless shots. As I've improved my ability to frame, compose, and pick my spots, my editing time was greatly reduced. With the 80D's improved 42 AF X-points, built-in WiFi, a modest 7fps, and higher ISO range, it would be a nice move-up from my T2i. That being said, I will definitely buy more glass before I upgrade my body. So the 80D is definitely something I'd consider. I've been eyeing the 7DmII for a while and still consider it my move-up body. I'm a photo hobbyist, so I don't mind waiting for a good deal.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back