New lenses?

TomasM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I'm new here, so be gentle :)

I recently sold both my kit lenses I bought with my D90, and am looking to upgrade. I shoot landscape and architecture a fair bit, and would like some advice on what lenses to get? I have around $900 to spend, and am looking to purchase a wide angle zoom, standard zoom, and possibly a tele-zoom (if needed?)

Thanks, Tomas!

My first piece of advice would be to save some more money. A $900 budget for 2-3 lenses isn't going to get you a lot. The best bang for the buck (I believe) is wide/ulta-wide zooms is the Tokina 11-16. That alone retails for around $800 new and $5-600 used in Canada, so I'm guessing probably somewhat more in Aus. For a "standard" zoom, look to one of the third-party 24-70 lenses. Alternatively, you could look at a more all in one solution such as Nikon's 18-105 or 18-200, but they're somewhat slower. Really depends on how much you are concerned about maximum aperture, build quality, and IQ.

My first piece of advice would be to save some more money. A $900 budget for 2-3 lenses isn't going to get you a lot. The best bang for the buck (I believe) is wide/ulta-wide zooms is the Tokina 11-16. That alone retails for around $800 new and $5-600 used in Canada, so I'm guessing probably somewhat more in Aus. For a "standard" zoom, look to one of the third-party 24-70 lenses. Alternatively, you could look at a more all in one solution such as Nikon's 18-105 or 18-200, but they're somewhat slower. Really depends on how much you are concerned about maximum aperture, build quality, and IQ.

+1

I so love my Tokina 11-16mm f2.8! My local cam shop sold me one new for $629 + tax, I was thrilled I didn't have to order it online.

+1 on Tokina 11-16mm

I just got the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 and love it so far.

Thank-you for all your help, guys! so tirediron, your saying I should save a bit more? A lot of people I've asked said I should build quality lenses, because I can always replace a body. I have had a look at the Tonika 11-16mm f/2.8, and had a feel of it in-store, and I must say, that I really like the quality feel of the body, the quality of the glass, and the very fast aperture. If I were to get the Tonika first, should I look into getting a 24-70mm afterwards, or before?

Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 af
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6

Both of these lenses are around $325-375 used on ebay. Buying used on ebay is perfectly safe provided that you only buy from someone with a return policy--eBay protects you from being ripped off, and almost always side with the buyer.

You also might consider the sigma 24-70mm f2.8 if the 17-50mm is to wide for you, it typically sells for around $400 used

Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 af
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6

Both of these lenses are around $325-375 used on ebay. Buying used on ebay is perfectly safe provided that you only buy from someone with a return policy--eBay protects you from being ripped off, and almost always side with the buyer.

You also might consider the sigma 24-70mm f2.8 if the 17-50mm is to wide for you, it typically sells for around $400 used

I've heard mixed opinions on the Sigma 10-20? Is it a decent build lens?

Also, is there any problems with using different brand 3rd party lenses compared to using just one brand of 3rd party lenses?

Why not rent some lenses first to help you figure out what exactly you want.

There are lots of places online that you can rent lenses from for fairly cheep.

Renting lenses is not odd at all. If your ranting to try a particular lens. Or if your not going to use that particular lens enough to justify buying it. Scott Borne pro wildlife photographer for his last trip to Alaska rented gear and had it shipped to Alaska so he didn't have to travel with a lot of gear.

Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 af
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6

I've heard mixed opinions on the Sigma 10-20? Is it a decent build lens?

Also, is there any problems with using different brand 3rd party lenses compared to using just one brand of 3rd party lenses?

The 10-20mm is a great lens--people raved about it when it was released, now the tokina seems to be the new fav, I haven't used it so I can't compare.

No reason to stick to one brand, buy the best glass you can afford.

Most reactions

Back