Nikkor 18-35 mm F/3.5-4.5 D ?

TheStupidForeigner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am thinking to buy this lens used for under 200 euros but I have to decide super fast. Seems like a good deal at first glance but does anyone know if this lens is good enough for professional quality images? Ie lifestyle, architecture, group portraits.

I know its not comparable to the more expensive lenses but I need something on a budget that will at least do the job but my last purchase was a disaster so am a little nervous now....

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-18-35mm...5800594&sr=8-3&keywords=Nikon+Nikkor+18-35+mm

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That lens requires a camera body with an in-body focus motor.

ie, if you have a d3x00 or d5x00 this will only be a MANUAL focus lens.

I actually have that lens and have used it on a d7000 an d600.
Also at 18mm on a FF sensor the edges curve in so you'll haveto fix that in Post.

It's good enough for it's price.
If you want to sell images or have them for magazines then spend a lot more money and get newer technology lenses where the distortions are less.
Which this would be the one to get ==> Amazon.com : Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Zoom Lens with Auto Focus for Nikon DSLR Cameras : Digital Slr Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo

What have you bought in the past that were disasters?
What is your camera body?
what is your budget?
That link has those NEW at a high price .... Amazon is not something that I recommend people use for research or buying particular items. The more I use amazon the more I realize that the vendors have to ADD more cost to the sale of their product as Amazon charges to sell their product.

FYI, at 18mm I wouldn't use that lens for people.
Learning how to use the distortion to your advantage is key .. I use it all the time for car show shots and such and take advantage of the distortion a WideAngle does to images.

That lens requires a camera body with an in-body focus motor.

ie, if you have a d3x00 or d5x00 this will only be a MANUAL focus lens.

I actually have that lens and have used it on a d7000 an d600.
Also at 18mm on a FF sensor the edges curve in so you'll haveto fix that in Post.

It's good enough for it's price.
If you want to sell images or have them for magazines then spend a lot more money and get newer technology lenses where the distortions are less.
Which this would be the one to get ==> Amazon.com : Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Zoom Lens with Auto Focus for Nikon DSLR Cameras : Digital Slr Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo

Thanks, yeah I have a d610 so is fine for that. Distortion isn't too much a problem for me either, I would mostly be using it around 35mm, or doing a lot of post production on images to fix any problems. You think it would be fine?

I should post some images from my other zoom... can tell the difference in quality to my other lenses just from the back of the camera without even zooming in... horrible :(

I use it on my d600
If you have walls, and architecture that goes to the image edges you'll definitely notice issues at 18mm especially the top edges are angled in.
At 35 I haven't seen many issues. Though on that lens I'm usually at 18-20. Otherwise I'm on my 24-85/2.8-4

Thanks, seems to meet my requirements and as far as I can tell it is actually worth around 300 euros (based on ebay used prices) so as long as the condition is as described it should be a good buy :)

The lens I am disappointed in is the nikkor 28-85mm (Nikon 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 AF Nikkor test Review © 2004 KenRockwell.com). Maybe I am being a bit hard on it considering it's almost as old as me but I guess I expected a bit more from it.

Most reactions

Back