Nikon d40

jdh313

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One thing to keep in mind is the lack of AF. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal, but if you plan on shooting much action or anything like that I would seriously reconsider it.

any nikon lens with the af-s designation will auto focus. I'm assuming he just means it doesn't have the autofocus motor which will limit your choice in lenses that autofocus on the d40.

Well the AF-S ones would be faster anyway, so I'm still confused by his comment. The older pro glass will AF as well, but I don't recall what they're called off hand.

Only AF-S and AF-I glass will focus, which means that it limits your choice a fair bit. If you have a bigger budget and like buying new, it's not so much of an issue. But I like to buy older, used lenses and lack of AF is pretty annoying. You'll also not be able to get a 50mm with AF, unless Nikon added an AF-S model.

They did, over a year ago... 50mm AF-S f/1.4G, they also released a 35mm AF-S f/1.8G last year. With Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, etc all making their lenses with the focus motor built in I don't really consider it much of a handicap anymore, besides - it's quieter and faster.

They did, over a year ago... 50mm AF-S f/1.4G, they also released a 35mm AF-S f/1.8G last year. With Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, etc all making their lenses with the focus motor built in I don't really consider it much of a handicap anymore, besides - it's quieter and faster.

Yeah I think people worry about that point to much. Almost every lens I want has an internal auto focus motor.

I think the D40 is a great choice! I have shot with one a bunch of times, and they are really great! Hard to beat for the price FOR SURE! I've thought about buying a D40 body as a spare on many occasions.

Thanks for all of the help. When i get the camera i will upload some of my pictures to a new forum.

i use one, the only problem for me is the lack of frames per second for sport shots and the iso range

Only AF-S and AF-I glass will focus, which means that it limits your choice a fair bit. If you have a bigger budget and like buying new, it's not so much of an issue.
The OP will still have 34 AF-S lenses, covering focal ranges from 10 mm to 600 mm, to choose from in Nikon's current lineup. Plus all 4 of Nikon's TC's are AF-S.

But I like to buy older, used lenses and lack of AF is pretty annoying. You'll also not be able to get a 50mm with AF, unless Nikon added an AF-S model

It sounds like you bought your D40x before you realized it didn't have an in-body AF motor, and as PhotoXopher pointed out there is a AF-S 50 mm available. I have the AF 50 mm f/1.8G and use it all the time on my D60 and am not afraid to admit I manually focus the lens. While I'm at it I better confess I even use manual mode and select the aperture, shutter speed, and the ISO all by myself, word.

Last edited:
The D40 is a great little camera. Mine has over 11 K clicks now and it's still rocking :) Have fun with yours.

Most reactions

Back