Nikon D90 or D300

beatfiend

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure what is the better choice I'll be upgrading from a D60. I like to do alot of sports shots and photos of break dancers, and cars sitting and running at the track. Any help and input is welcomed thanks in advance

How about d7000?
The biggest difference that I've seen b/n the two cameras is CONTROL. Dxxx allows more control buttons/switches then d90 for which you need to go into the menu.
As for prints, Last I printed from both was a 24x36 (different images )and they looked GREAT.

I wouldn't hesitate shooting in the rain with my D300. If I were to drop it or bang it against a door, no problem. Build quality to me is important.

The D90 or D7K might have slightly better 'specs', but the D300 still takes really, really good pictures. Of course, I use good glass too.

Sports and cars?- D300

I would also suggest considering the D7000. Word is it shoots really well at high ISOs and has an unsurpassed autofocus system. Plus, it's new. Just don't overpay.

if you shoot sports and dancing i would get the d300 or the d700 maybe.

Another vote for the D300(s) or D7000, I own both and they are simply awesome cameras. The D7000 has much better performance in the upper ISO range, which is one reason I bought it.

D300(s) can pop off 7-8 fps, D7000 does 6 - D90 does 4.5 if I remember right.

I've also owned the D90, and it's a great camera as well - but if I had to choose today it would be as mentioned above for your usage.

Just don't underistimate the advantage of good lenses, they will cost you.

Another question the only major difference with the D300 and D300s is video correct?

Another question the only major difference with the D300 and D300s is video correct?

Pretty much, if you really want video, the d7000 would be the weapon of choice.

That's not the only difference, actually... there's slightly better ISO performance (not much, but a little), a little different button configuration (more notable center 'ok' button for example, 2 card slots (one CF and one SD), and a few other small items.

The biggest difference to me is the 2 media slots in the D300s vs 1 of the D300.

What about CANON EOS REBEL T1i Kit - NEW w/18-55mm Lens

That is a step below the level of a D90. The D90 was hurting T1i sales so badly Canon had to introduce the T2i, and even that didn't help a whole lot.

For shooting sports and break dancing you need to be looking at auto focus modules and frames-per-second (fps) rates.

The D300 has the Multi-CAM3500DX AF module with 51 focus points, 15 of them cross-type points, up to 7 fps.
The D90 has the Multi-CAM1000 AF module with 11 focus points, 1 of them a cross-type point, up to 4.5 fps.

All Nikon dSLR camera's have color-aware metering, Only 3 of Canon's higher end cameras have a color aware metering capability.

The D300 has a magnesium alloy body and weather sealing.
The D90 has a plastic body and no weather sealing.

The D300 I have for sale was used almost exclusively to shoot sports.

That is a step below the level of a D90. The D90 was hurting T1i sales so badly Canon had to introduce the T2i, and even that didn't help a whole lot.

For shooting sports and break dancing you need to be looking at auto focus modules and frames-per-second (fps) rates.

The D300 has the Multi-CAM3500DX AF module with 51 focus points, 15 of them cross-type points, up to 7 fps.
The D90 has the Multi-CAM1000 AF module with 11 focus points, 1 of them a cross-type point, up to 4.5 fps.

All Nikon dSLR camera's have color-aware metering, Only 3 of Canon's higher end cameras have a color aware metering capability.

The D300 has a magnesium alloy body and weather sealing.
The D90 has a plastic body and no weather sealing.

The D300 I have for sale was used almost exclusively to shoot sports.

How much are selling? Pm when you can please

I would say D300 because of the build quality if you don't need the video, if you do then get the D7000 but DSLR are better off use for photos.

"I like to do alot of sports shots and photos of break dancers, and cars sitting and running at the track."

I Think you answered your own question and have an answer. If you don't let the Shiny Newness get in your way and blind you to the better choice. Better bang around build at events and deals with the weather,51 AF points,etc..etc..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back