Nikon now has 5! 18-55 lenses to choose from

Well it's the most popular lens they have since it comes with every starter body.

So, because I'm not motivated enough to Google it--what is AF-P?

According to Nikon -> The new AF-P stands for "fast and quiet AF with adoption of a stepping motor for AF drive operation".

stepping motor?

So the focus motor has different gears now for variable focusing speed ?

They are replacing the old ones with light compact ones -- thing doesn't look any bigger than a 50mm.

seems smart to me.

but makes me think a new 3000 and 5000 series camera will be available soon paired with it...

edit:

50mm: 72 x 52mm - 185g
18-55 AF-P: 64.5 x 62.5mm - 205g

Last edited:
No-noise focus with video...Obviously.
I do have to say that that is pretty awesome. I've dabbled in some videography and the focus on my 18-55 was really loud and distracting.

Gotta keep up with other competing camera companies and their offerings; low- and mid-range d-slr cameras kitted with an 18-55mm zoom lens are the most popular cameras in terms of sales. The new stepping motor concept for silent focusing while shooting video is the newest wrinkle currently being added to lenses. Nikon is claiming a full 4.0 stop VR capability with the new AF-P VR model. Focusing is faster. Optics are better. Both of these will be the "new version".

"The AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR accelerates phase-detection AF speeds by approximately 10 times and contrast-detection AF speeds by approximately 3.5 times. With a 25% reduction in noise within the AF drive, this lens is great for shooting stills and even better for videos."

Read more on NikonRumors.com: Nikon announces two new AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G lenses | Nikon Rumors

Two aspherical elements, the large front one, and pretty good MTF curves. Again...the 18-55 is the most-popular seller for the camera companies. And who thinks Nikon is going to stay right at 24 million pixels in APS-C sensor cameras?

I am a beginner and I have a question. Can I astrophotography (amateur level) with a 18-55 lens or is it impossible? I have a D5200 body also.

I am a beginner and I have a question. Can I astrophotography (amateur level) with a 18-55 lens or is it impossible? I have a D5200 body also.
Why not? I took lots of pictures of the blown out sky with my 18-55, lots of good memories. Fun fact! My country looks like its radioactive from space. Let no man say that they ever saw a single star. people need lots of light.

Most reactions

Back