What's new

Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

Ah, okay so it's actual sheets of the stuff. I think it's a great idea!

I'm also curious about it now and wondering if I could work with it somehow.
I can see using it with any media; basically like a collage but solid colors rather than some kind of image.
 
Recently finished this (photo 2) and am very happy with the final result. Of course always open to suggestions. First photo is WIP after first layers of modeling paste and paint were put down. Branch was too heavy and colors weren’t right. Added light and warmth, thinned the branching... I do love acrylics for the ability to fix issues!
IMG_6458.webp


IMG_6712.webp
 
Recently finished this (photo 2) and am very happy with the final result. Of course always open to suggestions. First photo is WIP after first layers of modeling paste and paint were put down. Branch was too heavy and colors weren’t right. Added light and warmth, thinned the branching... I do love acrylics for the ability to fix issues!
View attachment 295032

View attachment 295031
Wonderful work! I see that you are painting a branch now- at first glance (your top image) it looks like a tree on its side.

Looks to me like you did everything right. This lighter palette is so dreamy and soft! I love it.

And yes, the quick drydown with acrylics sure makes changes easier. Good job.
 
Wonderful work! I see that you are painting a branch now- at first glance (your top image) it looks like a tree on its side.

Looks to me like you did everything right. This lighter palette is so dreamy and soft! I love it.

And yes, the quick drydown with acrylics sure makes changes easier. Good job.
Thanks Terri. I enjoy painting flowers more than anything else. I may have to do some more cherry blossoms. Maybe a full tree scene and then a close up.
 
I think I finally managed to capture the sunlight sparkling on water effect. Also happy with how loose I managed to keep this one.

Acrylic on paper
IMG_6866.webp
 
Another painting from my abstracts class. I’m not loving it as is (1) and thinking of painting over the rings (2). I mocked up the second on photoshop. Still undecided. Maybe it needs something else. Open to suggestions…

IMG_6870.webp


IMG_6871_jpg.webp
 
I think I prefer without the rings. Maybe emphasize the diagonal a little?
 
And overall, i think of cooking with a whisk. Eggs and maybe a box of flour.
 
And overall, i think of cooking with a whisk. Eggs and maybe a box of flour.

None of the objects are meant to be representational but I do see what you mean.
 
That's what is cool about abstracts - the viewer decides what it is.
 
I think I prefer without the rings. Maybe emphasize the diagonal a little?
See, I rather liked the rings, and how they curled around the larger shape.

But you have to go with what looks good to your own eye! It's all about shape, balance, color...abstracts are super hard for me.
 
See, I rather liked the rings, and how they curled around the larger shape.

But you have to go with what looks good to your own eye! It's all about shape, balance, color...abstracts are super hard for me.
I think the issue for me is that the rings are such a sharp contrast to the lighter color right next to them. It draws my eye and that’s all I can see. I may try making them a little bit lighter purple before I eliminate them completely.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom