What's new

Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

It will be tomorrow. I have a line drawing done but I need to lay down the final layer. I'm leaning towards marker.
 
Gaia, wip 10.webp



^^ That's just a WIP pic.

Terri: check the dpi/ppi settings on the software to adjust size.

As for file size, when you add with the Attach Files link you should be able to click on the details button and select the size you want to upload.


Okay, I'm missing something. I uploaded that WIP pic using the Attach Files - I've been using the Insert Image (the mountain icon above), so I thought maybe I'd get some kind of resizing option with Attach Files. But I'm only seeing options for thumbnail or full size, so it's still coming across rather large (in my view). I'm adjusting both scale and print size in Gimp, and made the print size about 3.5" height just to see.

I'm not seeing a details button. Are there other options I'm not seeing? Sometimes it's a browser issue; I'm on Firefox.
 
I'm not sure where the color markers are - the office area is in a state of turmoil at the moment. I thought about color pencil but I'm trying to get this done quickly (too many things happening today). I ended up just using a black Posca marker. Paper is 9x12 50 pound sketch paper from Office Depot. I'll try to revisit this in color a bit later.

I need to put these under glass to shoot them, I guess. I'm probably going to use this scene in the big triptych / mural.

IMG_E0078[1].webp
 
Last edited:
I really like it; hair looks better than mono-green, I suspect. I haven't used Firefox for years, so I'm not much help, there. I'm in the Lightroom/Photoshop school so I can't help with Gimp, either. I can copy an entire photo in PS, set a new image to a specific size, pixels or inches/cm, then paste the copied photo into that new file. I don't know if there's a way to do that in Gimp.
 
I really like it; hair looks better than mono-green, I suspect. I haven't used Firefox for years, so I'm not much help, there. I'm in the Lightroom/Photoshop school so I can't help with Gimp, either. I can copy an entire photo in PS, set a new image to a specific size, pixels or inches/cm, then paste the copied photo into that new file. I don't know if there's a way to do that in Gimp.
Thanks! I thought it was improved with the browns added.

I only use Chrome on my phone, and send a cellphone shot to my email so I can open and download it on the laptop where Gimp is for resizing and contrast, which is mainly all I do. This process works fine when uploading at other forums from the laptop (Firefox).

It's not that big a deal.
 
I'm not sure where the color markers are - the office area is in a state of turmoil at the moment. I thought about color pencil but I'm trying to get this done quickly (too many things happening today). I ended up just using a black Posca marker. Paper is 9x12 50 pound sketch paper from Office Depot. I'll try to revisit this in color a bit later.

I need to put these under glass to shoot them, I guess. I'm probably going to use this scene in the big triptych / mural.

View attachment 295738
Nice sketching! I like the dunked head. :lol: It's what they do.

Your mural is going to be so cool!! You'll have to take some WIP pics for us!
 
Nice sketching! I like the dunked head. :lol: It's what they do.

Your mural is going to be so cool!! You'll have to take some WIP pics for us!
I plan to. I still have to decide on all the pieces.
 
View attachment 295735


^^ That's just a WIP pic.






Okay, I'm missing something. I uploaded that WIP pic using the Attach Files - I've been using the Insert Image (the mountain icon above), so I thought maybe I'd get some kind of resizing option with Attach Files. But I'm only seeing options for thumbnail or full size, so it's still coming across rather large (in my view). I'm adjusting both scale and print size in Gimp, and made the print size about 3.5" height just to see.

I'm not seeing a details button. Are there other options I'm not seeing? Sometimes it's a browser issue; I'm on Firefox.

Thanks! I thought it was improved with the browns added.

I only use Chrome on my phone, and send a cellphone shot to my email so I can open and download it on the laptop where Gimp is for resizing and contrast, which is mainly all I do. This process works fine when uploading at other forums from the laptop (Firefox).

It's not that big a deal.
Try uploading directly from your phone. After you hit the attached files button from TPF site in chrome on your phone, it should take you to your Photos app on your phone. That’s where you should find the button to resize. I usually only have to resize if I’ve edited a photo in LRC or sometimes Snapseed.

IMG_1769.webp

IMG_1770.webp

IMG_1771.webp
 
I'm not sure where the color markers are - the office area is in a state of turmoil at the moment. I thought about color pencil but I'm trying to get this done quickly (too many things happening today). I ended up just using a black Posca marker. Paper is 9x12 50 pound sketch paper from Office Depot. I'll try to revisit this in color a bit later.

I need to put these under glass to shoot them, I guess. I'm probably going to use this scene in the big triptych / mural.

View attachment 295738

Perfect!
 
Okay, I haven't followed those steps from my phone, but I will now.


.....Thank you for the screenshots! So, my phone app camera software looks nothing like them.

I'm on a Samsung Galaxy s25 Ultra and whether I select the mountain icon or the Attach files, I am directed to my Galleries. I've already resized them there, so it's not asking me to do it again - just select a file, attach and it goes straight into the text window here.

Here's what I get from Attach Files:

Screenshot_20260402_221145_IntentResolver.webp


To get to my galleries I click on Photos & videos.

Screenshot_20260402_221323_Gallery.webp


Click on an image, say Attach (from my phone), then I'm directed back here.

Screenshot_20260402_221341_Chrome.webp



I must say, your phone looks easier to manipulate. I have to go back to resize if a file looks too large here. I can do it quickly enough, but other forums I'm on don't seem to display like TPF does.
 
20260214_114717.webp




That's the back of an image transfer I'm working on, btw. I take a lot of WIP pics when I'm working on several at a time. I'll be posting the finished products soon!
 
View attachment 295759



That's the back of an image transfer I'm working on, btw. I take a lot of WIP pics when I'm working on several at a time. I'll be posting the finished products soon!
I need to take more WIP photos. I rarely think of it and it can be so helpful later.

First portrait painting class was yesterday. It was all sketching faces and heads from sculptures in the galleries. How to measure and place the features accurately. I definitely need to practice this more before we get into painting next week. My results were not great. The measuring is tedious and detailed and I don’t do well with either of those.

Have any of you used the Da Vinci Eye app for transferring an image from your phone to paper? I’m going to try it. Also, check out this YouTube that has a very interesting method of drawing a portrait.

 
Have any of you used the Da Vinci Eye app for transferring an image from your phone to paper?
Nope - haven't heard of it but sure will check it out! Sounds like it could be very useful.

I'll look at that portrait video, too. You're right, the measuring of faces/eyes is a bit of a pain, but it works.
 
So…it’s week 6 of my portrait painting class. I hated the self portrait and not sure if I’ll share it here. Then did a portrait of Princess from a photo which doesn’t really look like her. The last 3 weeks we’ve had a live model. Here’s my most recent attempt at a sort of pop art type of style. It actually does look like him but I’m not sure I like it. It’s too blocky. It’s my first try at this type of style which, if I am going to do any type of portrait or pet portrait, this is what I’d like them to look like. Instructor was supportive but I could tell he wasn’t a fan.

IMG_7852.webp
 
Well. I happen to adore this style, pop art or whatever you want to call it. I like the chunky blocks! Sure, you can finesse it, smooth out areas if you like - but you caught an expression here, the eyes are even, nose and mouth straight, etc. I can't speak to how much it resembles the model, but you're saying it actually does - so great job!

Have you noticed I like to approach portraits the same way?

This is an old oil pastel - just screwing around, and I never thought about my approach much, other than I liked using lots of colors.

1000003171.webp


The proportions aren't very good, really. But I had fun with it.

As far as I'm concerned, you're on the right track here, and getting actual class training, too! Keep up the good work, I say.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom