What's new

Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

I think the issue for me is that the rings are such a sharp contrast to the lighter color right next to them. It draws my eye and that’s all I can see. I may try making them a little bit lighter purple before I eliminate them completely.
Give it a go! The bottom left ones are much more subdued and I agree they blend in a little better.
 
Recently finished this (photo 2) and am very happy with the final result. Of course always open to suggestions. First photo is WIP after first layers of modeling paste and paint were put down. Branch was too heavy and colors weren’t right. Added light and warmth, thinned the branching... I do love acrylics for the ability to fix issues!
View attachment 295032

View attachment 295031
Loved how this finished with the brighter colors! Love the blues/greens background
 
Here’s my final (for now 🤣) on the large abstract. I painted over the rings then missed them so I put them back (again) but with a lighter color. It’s hanging in my dining room so I can decide if it’s truly finished. I’m still debating if I like it better w/out the rings.

IMG_6913.webp


IMG_6902.webp



Here’s another abstract that I worked on during our final class. It’s not what I started out to create, it just sort of created itself. I’m not exactly crazy about it. Although I think it’s kind of cool, it’s not something that I would ever hang in my home and want to see every day. But I was also thinking of creating a second companion piece with female forms, and using a more feminine palette. I’ll probably do that but I expect to end up painting over this one at some point.

IMG_6932.webp
 
Here’s my final (for now 🤣) on the large abstract. I painted over the rings then missed them so I put them back (again) but with a lighter color. It’s hanging in my dining room so I can decide if it’s truly finished. I’m still debating if I like it better w/out the rings.

View attachment 295614

View attachment 295616


Here’s another abstract that I worked on during our final class. It’s not what I started out to create, it just sort of created itself. I’m not exactly crazy about it. Although I think it’s kind of cool, it’s not something that I would ever hang in my home and want to see every day. But I was also thinking of creating a second companion piece with female forms, and using a more feminine palette. I’ll probably do that but I expect to end up painting over this one at some point.

View attachment 295615
My first impression is that this is badass! Love the palette, the suggestion of figures - and you shouldn't paint over it! Let it sit and grow on you awhile. It's really good!

Love how your rings painting turned out, too. It looks great on the wall over the table and next to those drapes. Funny that you painted them back in! 😂

This was a good class for you, I think - you really put out some nice work. 👏
 
My first impression is that this is badass! Love the palette, the suggestion of figures - and you shouldn't paint over it! Let it sit and grow on you awhile. It's really good!

Love how your rings painting turned out, too. It looks great on the wall over the table and next to those drapes. Funny that you painted them back in! 😂

This was a good class for you, I think - you really put out some nice work. 👏
Thanks Terri, I appreciate your feedback.

Stating a new class next week. Portraits! While I don’t have a ton of interest in painting portraits, it seems like at least having a general knowledge of the basics would be helpful. I would have continued the abstract class another round but it was full so this is a good option I think.
 
Thanks Terri, I appreciate your feedback.

Stating a new class next week. Portraits! While I don’t have a ton of interest in painting portraits, it seems like at least having a general knowledge of the basics would be helpful. I would have continued the abstract class another round but it was full so this is a good option I think.
Agreed, it's a good skill to have. Measuring heads and drawing the cross over the face to keep the eyes even, and whatnot. It should be fun!
 
We pulled a cabinet that is to be the residence of some bears out of the "L" closet (the shape) and put it in the living room next to the fake fireplace & TV. In pulling things out of the way of bear cabinet #3, I found a box of Cray-Pas oil pastels, still in the plastic wrapper. The only think I can think of is that I got them on clearance from Michaels or from JoAnne when they were closing down the store in Waldorf, MD. I already have watercolor and tinted Mi-Teintes pads so there is some play in my future.

In a fit of insomnia, I browsed making paints (mainly watercolors). It's not a difficult process but I don't see myself doing more than a couple colors. Of course, the next step down that rabbit hole is charing and grinding chicken bones for Ivory Black pigment.

Maybe a nice raw umber or burnt senna. ;)
 
We pulled a cabinet that is to be the residence of some bears out of the "L" closet (the shape) and put it in the living room next to the fake fireplace & TV. In pulling things out of the way of bear cabinet #3, I found a box of Cray-Pas oil pastels, still in the plastic wrapper. The only think I can think of is that I got them on clearance from Michaels or from JoAnne when they were closing down the store in Waldorf, MD. I already have watercolor and tinted Mi-Teintes pads so there is some play in my future.

In a fit of insomnia, I browsed making paints (mainly watercolors). It's not a difficult process but I don't see myself doing more than a couple colors. Of course, the next step down that rabbit hole is charing and grinding chicken bones for Ivory Black pigment.

Maybe a nice raw umber or burnt senna. ;)
Sounds like fun times ahead!
 
A couple of seascapes, trying to keep my loose painting mojo going. These are acrylic on paper and canvas, respectively.

IMG_6927.webp


IMG_6935.webp
 
ooo - love them both! That top one is all about texture for me - I really like seeing brush strokes. Would that get me in trouble in a class, I wonder? :lol:

The colors for the sand are picture perfect.
 
Awesome. I really like the clouds in the second and the waves in the first but both are "keepers"
 
I broke out the oil pastels for the first time in about four years. I love them still. They really bring out my annoying habit of getting into minute detail, though, so I'm always working slow with them.

In honor of the approaching spring, I thought I'd paint a rendition of Gaia. I wanted all green hair but the whole thing started looking too mono so I touched it up.


Gaia, 1.webp




Good lord, that's a huge file! I'm wondering why everything I post is so gi-normous lately. :icon_scratch: This thing has been resized to a much smaller scale than this looks to be. Somehow the software here just blows everything up.

Anyway - I used Arches oil paper, 9x12" and a combination of Mungyo Soft Gallery, Neopastels and a few Sennelier. Some Marshall's oil pencils and Prismacolor too. The black at the bottom isn't really black at all: there's a lot of lilac in there that's lost onscreen.
 
Terri: check the dpi/ppi settings on the software to adjust size.

I guess the next one is on me. I'll get something together tonight; trying to fix a cracked panel in the basement door and finish up the compost bin. MLW might have a couple more little projects for me. ;)
 
ooo - love them both! That top one is all about texture for me - I really like seeing brush strokes. Would that get me in trouble in a class, I wonder? :lol:

The colors for the sand are picture perfect.
Seeing the brushstrokes is not a problem in class lol. I think it’s called a “painterly” style?

I broke out the oil pastels for the first time in about four years. I love them still. They really bring out my annoying habit of getting into minute detail, though, so I'm always working slow with them.

In honor of the approaching spring, I thought I'd paint a rendition of Gaia. I wanted all green hair but the whole thing started looking too mono so I touched it up.


View attachment 295712



Good lord, that's a huge file! I'm wondering why everything I post is so gi-normous lately. :icon_scratch: This thing has been resized to a much smaller scale than this looks to be. Somehow the software here just blows everything up.

Anyway - I used Arches oil paper, 9x12" and a combination of Mungyo Soft Gallery, Neopastels and a few Sennelier. Some Marshall's oil pencils and Prismacolor too. The black at the bottom isn't really black at all: there's a lot of lilac in there that's lost onscreen.
This is very cool! Love the theme and the style. As for file size, when you add with the Attach Files link you should be able to click on the details button and select the size you want to upload.

Terri: check the dpi/ppi settings on the software to adjust size.

I guess the next one is on me. I'll get something together tonight; trying to fix a cracked panel in the basement door and finish up the compost bin. MLW might have a couple more little projects for me. ;)
You’re up!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom