...It is History which decides on his worth and his place in it.
...
This is no longer true (if it ever was). Sure there are plenty of examples of great artists who weren't recognised until long after their death - Van Gogh is an obvious example. However, there are just as many who were appreciated during their lifetime and were also financially successful.
The measure of an artist in the contemporary art market is how influential they are. Andreas Gursky has been hugely influential and he's nowhere near retirement yet. His works sell for hundreds of thousands. He is recognised today for his innovation and influence. Many people consider him to be a great artist now and even more will probably think that way as history progresses.
If Van Gogh had access to modern communication technologies (including modern transport) would he have remained relatively anonymous during his lifetime? With effective marketing and promotion contemporary artists are able to exhibit their work to huge audiences. The world moves at a faster pace today. The influence of original and innovative artists can be seen almost immediately.
Great artists are recognised today - in their own lifetime. Or, at least the very lucky/well connected, very few do.
Personally, as an artist, photography is my favourite medium. I have no idea whether my photographic art is any good. I've been shortlisted for awards a couple of times, but never actually won anything. I exhibit occasionally and sell a small number of prints each year. It remains an expensive hobby rather than a profitable business.
I started this thread because I think without the 'art value' photography would stagnate. Digital technologies have resulted in an explosion of photographers publishing their work worldwide. There are millions of extremely high quality photographs on the web. However, they're all very similar in content and style. The innovators are few and far between. Despite the number of quality images found on the web the new photographic ideas remain in the art galleries and art magazines.
I'd like to see more discussion about art in photography magazines and photography web forums. It is the only way photography can move forward.
Oh, and apologies for mouthing off at times in this thread. I do that occasionally. I'm an artist - us artists are well known for being stroppy gits at times.