POINT OF VIEWS ""

I don't have personal feelings of failure about my artwork. I have personal feelings about personal things.

Don't be obtuse and ignore the point. You don't show any consideration for anyone else yet believe that your personal feelings should be valued by others
This is adolescent behavior.

You should treat others as you yourself wanted to be treated on this board.

Grow up, Max

I would want to receive the critiques that I give.

I would want to receive the critiques that I give.

I don't buy that.

This is a community and you're the barking dog that may keep away wolves but is always ****ing in everyone's flowers. The moment a better behaved dog comes along, you're last weeks news.

There's some honesty about the only thing that you post.
I hope you enjoyed it.

it was endorphins galore

it was endorphins galore

so what happened to you not critquing this guys work anymore? You came back like 10 times after said you would never critque his work again JW.

so what happened to you not critquing this guys work anymore? You came back like 10 times after said you would never critque his work again JW.

I didn't come back ten times to critique him again. I came back to clarify my critique, and then later to defend my position. When I said I wouldn't ever critique him again, I was referring to future threads.

not everything you want other people want

You're seriously misunderstanding here...when I said that I would want to receive the critiques that I give, it wasn't in an "I think i know what's good for people" way, it was in the categorical imperative/golden rule way.

Like everyone else here, the first one is the better of the two in my opinion. When I first saw it, it reminded me of an old forgotten house way back in the hidden woods somewhere. Maybe something out of Little house on the Praire. I honestly like it. I would send it in to a postcard company or even a calendar company.

The second one I would agree is too cluttered. I thought the subject was the tall tree. I would maybe go for a full effect. Move the camera to the right to make the entire scene full and cluttered. I don't know what was to the right of the scene but I think it might be better than that largely open space. To me it puts a void in your photo. You're eyes don't want to go towards the flag, they want to go towards the void to see what else is out there.

Hope this helps.

I think he stopped reading the critiques because they weren't all glowing.

He says, and I have no reason to doubt him, that he makes a good living with postcards and calendar shots. If so I don't understand why the it was cluttered courier and Ives card would bother him. If that was his goal he achieved it so what's the problem.

The second one would be a lot better without the bush stuck dead in the middle of the foreground. Foreground items shouldn't cover the center of interest. Why is this is a shock to a man who has been in the business even longer than me. What is so illigitiment about that.

He didn't just take on max. He said several of us gave rude critiques. I don't think anyone, excluding max with his abrupt manner, could be called rude. He says he knows critique. I think he probably knows strokes from people who are new to the craft and wouldn't know a better shot if they tripped over it.

Seems to me he got other comments besides Max so whats the big deal Max didn't like it. Max is not the know all, end all of this forum. His is just one opinion. The poster's problem goes farther than that.

That is my opinion. I do not defend Max or Fault the poster for his opinion of Max or the rest of us, but I also do not think his assessment of his treatment here is quite fair either. So there (sound effects here) Brooklyn cheer.

I'd have to agree that they are both nice photos, and I actually like to composition (if not the subject)...and I do agree about the shrub on the lower right of the last photo being somewhat distracting, but I don't think it ruins the piece.

However, I'm not getting what you mean by "perspective" on these? Are you talking about "point of view" perspective, or "enhanced sense of distance" perspective? If it's the former, then yes, the perspective is nice, in a Christmas-card sort of way. If it's the later, then no, I don't get it.

Off topic, but I wouldn't consider Max's initial comment rude. I actually agree with the first half of his comment. This was just his *opinion*. I would assume that in the absence of direct verbal attacks on the *photographer*, we could all agree that even negative *opinion* can be useful.

Would it have better for Max to say that "The perspective in the first one is a little bit, sort of, king of, well, non-interesting"?

My 2 cents: Post in the critique section if you want actual opinions. Post in the galleries if you want pats on the back.

I would prefer to have the critique section to be the "no sugar coating zone" so that I may actually learn from posting here. The galleries should be for "look at me, look at me".

I hated critique in my photo class because everyone was afraid to say something negative about someone elses photos and thus, no one learned from the critique

What fightheheathens (and ZenDianah) said... :thumbup:

and on the subject of boring... boring is subjective. totally subjective.

I think that at least initially, "boring" was applied to the two photos' "perspective" (or lack of). "Perspective" was what the original poster was asking a critique on.

Ok, after several PMs, I think I might just give this awhile longer,,, sorry to those who feel this might be less then good news...

First, mysteryscrib... I don't recall saying that several people gave me bad reviews, but did however , more or less generalize critique in this forum as being rude... I have NO problem with a bad review if its done with a little class... I won't sit here and argue with you about any of this, I suggest we just move on...

Critique is like stepping into a pile of Dog Crap, tell me it stinks, but also what it smells like...

If you have been around as you say, then you should know the importance of a critique to a beginner , step up be a teacher, don't bring em down, build em up... if its bad point how why in a decent way, and offer suggestions....

I've been around the photo gamut, you've been around, seen it all, done it all...

Let's start over people, move on time!

Ok, after several PMs, I think I might just give this awhile longer,,, sorry to those who feel this might be less then good news...

I am truely not trying to be rude here, New England Moments, but could you possibly, maybe please please oh please cut the melodrama? I think it would be great for you to stay and contribute to the community, but to move on, I think we should leave the melodrama at the door, ok? Good luck to you, I hope you find this forum enlightening. I am a newbie myself (both in Photography and on this forum), but rather than being scared away by the bluntness of some here, I rather found it refreshing.

A question for you: of all the critiques you've read on this thread so far, which was the one that was most helpful?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back