Promoting Wire Dude: Help Me Brainstorm?

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all, some comments I've gotten on Wire Dude shots has me thinking...
(For those who are going WTF is Wire Dude?? here is a link to one of the threads http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-gallery/316794-wire-dude-cont-d.html )

I'm starting to brainstorm ideas on how to get him more exposure, share him with more people and see where it leads us.

I know tagging, naming and putting him in the right places is important. If you google Wire Dude he shows up on the first page BUT there is also a "Wire Dude" on Facebook so I'm not sure what that means, if we have to stop using that name etc...

Any and all suggestions and insight on promoting him would be beyond awesome!!

Thanks in advance!

I don't really think "Wire Dude" is the best name for him anyway, if you're going to really market him (and possibly his future friends...). I liked the one where he discovered his name and age, and would prefer to maybe use Gauge instead of Wire Dude. But you really need something that will "catch on." I'm not feeling very creative right now (busy at work and have a headache), but something that immediately pulls people in to him and his story..."Gauge and The Story of A Wired People," "The Twisted Tale of Gauge," something like that.

Then start his own facebook page, or his own BLOG (which would be my preference--more control of him that way). And copyright him AND his name and anything else like your blog name once you settle on something you really like, so that on the chance it did take off you don't run into issues.

Great input, thanks Sharon.

I agree about the name Wire Dude not being "it", it was the first thing that came into my head when I made the first thread about him... I needed to call him something and that was it lol

I too am diggin "Gauge" as a possible moniker.

Also, I wouldn't worry about not being able to use your idea b/c some scrub on Facebook already has something similar. The likelihood they've taken the appropriate steps to register, copyright and trademark the idea is pretty dang slim. If anything, they'd be the one moving on to other things when you present them with a cease and desist letter after your paperwork gets approved. (insert evil genius laugh here...)

First, how many shots do you have ready to print of this little man? Do you have enough to submit a portfolio.

I too am diggin "Gauge" as a possible moniker.

Also, I wouldn't worry about not being able to use your idea b/c some scrub on Facebook already has something similar. The likelihood they've taken the appropriate steps to register, copyright and trademark the idea is pretty dang slim. If anything, they'd be the one moving on to other things when you present them with a cease and desist letter after your paperwork gets approved. (insert evil genius laugh here...)
Thanks James, very true, the "other" Wire Dude doesn't appear to be the kinda guy to have his ducks in a row but you never know! I like Gauge also, my worry with it is spelling (I have to think every time I spell it to make sure I get it right, perhaps others will be the same?)

First, how many shots do you have ready to print of this little man? Do you have enough to submit a portfolio.

Hey Mishele, I'm going to say no, not enough for a portfolio, I literally bent him and started shooting him less than a week ago, there are 5 unique shots of him so far.....

Hey Mishele, I'm going to say no, not enough for a portfolio, I literally bent him and started shooting him less than a week ago, there are 6 unique shots of him so far.....

Which brings up another point--WHY hasn't Gauge gone out skiing yet in all that snow??? ;)

Hey Mishele, I'm going to say no, not enough for a portfolio, I literally bent him and started shooting him less than a week ago, there are 6 unique shots of him so far.....

Which brings up another point--WHY hasn't Gauge gone out skiing yet in all that snow??? ;)

Haha, I'll tell ya a secret.... "found" him a hat and scarf yesterday ;)

I like the name wire dude. More marketable IMO.

I would take the time to layout what you really want to do w/ Wire Dude before you start promoting. You're only a week into this like you just said. Get a good portfolio started. Have a plan. Just an example, if you wanted to do a book...how many pictures are you going to need to fill it? 40? You need 40 ideas and shots!! A lot of work. Get all that stuff in line so if anyone contacts you about him, you can share the vision you have.

What is the end game here?

The storyline would be along the lines of what a very thin creature has to cope with when dealing with the rather thick bags of mobile water that we are. As in Gulliver's Travels, the use of a antropomorphic character can hold up a mirror to ourselves, and show up some of the silliness of "normal" life. As well, just as the entrance of a baby in the life of busy parents tends to make them aware again of the many details of little daily wonder that routine has blinded them to, so can the arrival of Gauge help us rediscover some of the simple yet wonderful aspects of daily life. What would Gauge think of our need for sleep, or eating, or toilet habits? How would a wire creature entertain him/herself? I can see Gauge being absolutely incredibly good at hide and seek. And if he did that in the garage or workshop, who knows what he'd come up with...

I would take the time to layout what you really want to do w/ Wire Dude before you start promoting. You're only a week into this like you just said. Get a good portfolio started. Have a plan. Just an example, if you wanted to do a book...how many pictures are you going to need to fill it? 40? You need 40 ideas and shots!! A lot of work. Get all that stuff in line so if anyone contacts you about him, you can share the vision you have.

Thanks Mishele and Runnah, you guys pretty much asked me the question I intended to ask all of you in the OP lol. A more accurate OP would have been "what the hell do I do with Wire Dude?"

I have no clue what I want to do with him other than I want to keep shooting him, he's a blast to work with!

The reason I don't know what to do with him is I don't know what the options are and it all seems quite overwhelming to try to think around.
cz34.gif

I was hoping to shorten the research by asking here and hearing the good and bad of different options/routes to ... well... lets call a spade a spade... make money off of him in the long run (or short run).

I honestly have no clue where to start but I know I need to make a plan ... halp?
cz50.gif

However... google "wire figure sculptures" in the image section, and you'll be surprised (I think) at the variety of what you will find. So the idea's been around. What may be different with your creation, is the whimsical nature of his "discovery". And therefore, perhaps it is better just to have some fun with this and see what body of work, and what personality emerges from this.

Most reactions

Back