Self portrait criticism

EckoZero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took a picture of myself as part of a project I'm doing called "I Am..." - a series of self portraits displaying various aspects of my personality and growth.

I have a problem emoting and someone suggested that I could use photography to express my emotions (A bit hippy, I know :D).

This one is called "I Am... Learning To Be Me"

5482107979_81fd28ba48.jpg

This expresses the fact that since becoming a Real Person with my own flat and responsibilities in life that I have stopped being myself and started to become who I am supposed to be. I want to take that back and become myself again.

Anybody care to take a look and give some pointers?

Last edited:
Well, the photo is very grainy for being shot at ISO 100. It is also very underexposed. To me, the photo appears to tilt to the right a bit too. I'd reshoot, but turn the power up on your flash a bit more, and perhaps even angle the flash head to more effectively light the scene (if you have a model that allows you to).

Thanks for the comments... the grain was added digitally in GIMP. I was playing around with layers etc.

My flashgun does allow to angle the flashhead - what sort of angle would you suggest is best?

Thanks for the comments... the grain was added digitally in GIMP. I was playing around with layers etc.

My flashgun does allow to angle the flashhead - what sort of angle would you suggest is best?

Well, for example since you are on the right hand side of the frame, angling the flash to the right at a diagonal angle toward the ceiling may offer a better lighting of the scene, and more light on you specifically. I can't see the layout of your room, but you can always take a few exposures and test. :thumbup:

I meant to ask though, is your flash mounted on camera? Or do you have a cord, or radio triggers to fire it?

Flashgun is mounted on my camera - my room has a very high ceiling which makes the bounce effect a little subdued (probably causing the underexposure). I'll try taking the shot again tomorrow and setting the flashgun to manual. That way I can get a bit more power and zoom on the flash

Whoops. Sorry about that. When I get back to my computer ill change it.

Also, thanks for the bounce card idea!

hm... If you're going to make it intentionally grainy, you might wanna milk that a little more so it does come off as intentional, rather than poor quality. The photo may look interesting as well if it is over exposed. But that is just me. I like photos with a slight "weirdness factor"

Also, I just got a Flash gun as well. How do you determine which are compatible with what cameras? I saw you were a Nikon man, but I have a Canon Rebel and my flash gun is a Braun 370 BVC

Ah! I also forgot that I recently did a similar self portrait project. In fact it's hopefully going to be put in a gallery soon. I've been having confidence issues this year. I am a college student trying to prove my worth in the art community and it's hard to stay motivated with so much talent out there. It's called "Artist". I used a Canon AE-1 film camera for mine in black and white. I have more shots, but I posted my favorites on my website, they're at the very bottom:

Film | Scribbled Shenanigans

since your wearing all black we lose a lot of detail there. I wear dark clothes myself and shoot bands that tend to wear dark clothing. Not sure what you have for light modifiers. I would shoot with an umbrella partially closed to keep the light off the background and expose your dark clothes better.

Also, I just got a Flash gun as well. How do you determine which are compatible with what cameras? I saw you were a Nikon man, but I have a Canon Rebel and my flash gun is a Braun 370 BVC
It's not cool to hijack someone elses thread. It is better netiquette to start your own thread.

You first need to determine the firing voltage of your Braun strobe light: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

Then you need to determine if the strobe will fry your Canon camera's electronics, or not, if used on the camera's flash hot shoe. You do that by reading your camera's users manual. There are many diffent kinds of Canon Rebel, some digital, some not. Which model do you have?

If the voltages are not compatible here are accessories made you can put between the strobe and your camera; Wein 990-560 Hot Shoe to Hot Shoe Safe Sync

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Reshoot in a similar style - no PP on this one so far.

How's my exposure etc compared the last one? I also straightened this one out as someone pointed out that my previous shot leant to the right

5502686534_1aa993c268.jpg

EDIT: It still leans to the right even after straightening! Argggh!
Anyone have any ideas how to straighten this successfully in GIMP?

Compared to the last one, your exposure is MUCH better. The only thing I can suggest for straightening is making sure your camera is totally square with your couch. Meaning if there were a line going straight out from your lens, that it would be perpendicular to the front of your couch. Another cool trick is that if you're lacking a horizon line as a point of reference, using verticals to straighten your photograph also works well (assuming the verticals are straight up). I'm not sure, but it may be the way the art hangs above your couch that throws the perspective off. I noticed in the first photo that it seemed like it was tilted, so that may have an effect. Anyways, keep shooting! :thumbup:

Thanks for the tips :)

I guess I should stop being lazy and dig out my hotshoe spirit level - make sure the camera is straight before shooting then attach my flashgun afterwards.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back