Semi topless underage pics by Vanity Fair

Well Im sure it possible that one thing lead to another durring the shoot and when your dealing with a famous photog and mag that she could have been steered into the shot that they now regret. It's possible even for "Pros" like her people to make a mistake.

When I see the photo and if I did not know her age I would have said thats a nice photo of some girl who looks like she just got it good all night long. But knowing thats shes 15 is where I just feel the shot is not one that should have been taken but thats just my 2 cents.

--the most distasteful the aspect of this whole debate is that this is how marketing works in 2008. this is viral marketing at its worst and everyone who posts in this thread and any other thread on any other board has bought into it. we are all doing free advertising for disney and for this person/her career/music/whatever. advertisers have found the best way to circumvent our short attention spans and ability to tivo, chose our own content, click off, turn off. they get us to talk about it. blog about it.

--i'm more in the Usayit Camp. personally, i think its hypocritical that america hyper-sexualizes everything then complains about it. we're oversexed, yet puritanical in thought. that being said, i DO NOT think its right to put a 15 yr old in this situation. yes, i like the shot. yes, its aesthetically pleasing. yes, i'm sure lawyers were consulted and disney signed off on everything. yes, we really don't see any nudity. but that's really not the point.

we as a people sexualize our daughters at a younger and younger age... all the time. i think this is a feminist debate. oh, the kneejerk reaction is "well, sex sells. everyone knows that. that's the business". but by doing shots like this, its showing our daughters that this is what they're good for. i call bullsh*t on this.

I saw the images on the tube last night and thought they were pretty tasteful. If she were at the beach wearing a swimsuit she'd be showing a whole lot more skin than that. Disney's just making a fuss because their poster girl is growing up. You can totally tell that they told Miley what to say to the press in that regard. If Leibowitz wasn't big enough, she's going to be even more of a household name.

Saw it again last night on the T-V (as pronounced by Bob Dylan).

A fine photo still, it's all in the promotion.

On a related thread (for all the Ansel Adams haters), did you know Ansel would have gone into relative obscurity if not for a young student properly promoting his work?

What if...
the photo did show an exposed breast? The same expression, the same composition, the same lighting, basically the same/similar pose but with an exposed breast.

I'm pretty sure the photo wouldn't run because she's underage. Also, if the photo was made available some how, I'm sure everyone involved would be in hot water.

oh who really cares about miley cyrus and her newest way to exploit herself? really.

This is a forum dedicated to discussing photography, in all styles and aspects. Your comment didn't add anything to the conversation, so why bother?

People can discuss what they want, within reason.

That being said, I think it's a bit too far... not OVERBOARD like the media has said. As a society we need to protect those younger, and here is failure.

yes, but all your daughter's friends are European, that is the difference.

Actually, in Düsseldorf downtown in the summer most 13 - 14 year old girls show more when dressed than she does semi-nude ... and they do it to show off. Over here things are just totally different.

Currently in Germany in the big cities it is swinging a bit too far even for my taste, as often it is extreme peer pressure among young girls to pretend to be more and more grown up and sexy than they really are.

I don't get it.

"Semi-nude?"

When all you see is a bit of bare back?

My own 15-year-old daughter looked at it and only commented on "I see less clothes on most of my friends who are into competitive swimming like myself than I see here". And then said how beautiful she thought the photo was as photo, and that it definitely does not make the person look older.

When a bit of bare back can make someone think of "sex", then a lot must go on in that someone's head...

Also I don't buy her being "tricked" into it. Watch the video of her DURING the shoot on Vanity Fair's website... she doesn't seen all "AW SHUCKS WHAT ARE WE DOING" as she is trying to portray now.

Also I don't buy her being "tricked" into it. Watch the video of her DURING the shoot on Vanity Fair's website... she doesn't seen all "AW SHUCKS WHAT ARE WE DOING" as she is trying to portray now.

The family is just afraid to lose Disney or advertising income if her images goes the wrong way, not compatible with their current supporters. Hence they claim they were tricked into it. I guess even the girl herself understands the business and just plays a role.

Lets face it, she is 15, at 15 these days if you are not totally uneducated, you understand a lot of the world. Some people at 15 make their first inventions or start their first own semi-pro business.

So no one sell me the idea of poor naive girl being pushed into something here.

I agree with the comment that I don't think she was tricked into taking this photo. How can you trick someone into taking their shirt off and posing for a photo. She knew what was happening. I think the photo could have turned out "sexier" than Miley and her family thought it would be but, they let her take her shirt off.

I do think it is a very beautiful photograph. I love it, and wouldn't be opposed to having something like this done of myself for my husband. Let me make that clear FOR MY HUSBAND! I think it is a very sexy photo and the mom in me would show my claws if someone took a photo like this of my 15 year old.

A photo doesn't have to show anything to be suggestive. I always hear about the meaning behind photos, I definitly think this one has meaning.

Since no one else wants to make the obvious crack (or craic, if you're so inclined)

Who's going to have the 'Achy Breaky Heart' ?

That being said, her father has been in this game for a long time. So, along with Alex_B....
So no one sell me the idea of poor naive girl being pushed into something here.

It seems to me that many teenage girls would love a picture of themselves like this. It's clean (nothing inherently "dirty" in it) but reflects a girl's desire to be seen as a woman. However, it probably should not have been chosen (by anyone) for publication.

Most reactions

Back