So, you call yourself an artist.

Can't say I at all agree with your definition of "art" needing to be pre-planned, especially when it comes to photography, in fact almost every formal definition of art I know of doesn't support that. That said, I'll abide.

Oh, and congrats on the 4k!

1. Made for a class, the focus was fusing art and science. Ended up in a local gallery.

Out From The Dark by TogaLive, on Flickr

2. You might not consider macro images to be pre-planned, but most all of mine are. In many cases I draw them out before heading to the field, but with that said, I never place my insects. I just set up all the elements I want, and wait. After thousands of hours in our Arboretum, I've got a good idea of what I can expect to have cross my sensor, and in this case, it paid off after 4 hours.

To me, much of the world we don't see, the macro world, is living art.

The Wolf by TogaLive, on Flickr

Last edited:
I consider myself more of a fry cook than an artist... although at times I do try to inject some artistic sensibilities into photos that might easily be just mere kitcsh. I don't upload or share much of my work any more... I have a little over 5,000 pic s on-line at Derrel's Photo Galleries at pbase.com and, like I said, "fry cook". Not to be confused with short order cook!!!! Those guys suck! I have a handful of stuff on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10545656@N04/7154934200/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10545656@N04/7075831359/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10545656@N04/7075831317/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10545656@N04/6929755924/in/photostream/

My favorite planned photo:

My favorite art piece I made from a photo of mine..... NSFW. You can grab the link here.

I preconceive, pre-visualize, and plan in detail a lot of my shots.

Saw this one in a dream, and started planning for it as soon as I woke up. Location, filters, time of day, etc. I had to order and wait for a graduated mauve filter to arrive before I could shoot it. It was a couple weeks altogether from concept to realized shot:

Golden_Gate_Bridge_From_Baker_Beach_by_Buckster_Crop.jpg

This started with the idea that I wanted to capture steam rising off food. By the next day, I'd settled on the macaroni in a spoon against a black background concept. I set it up in the kitchen, hanging a black background on the refrigerator door, which was right next to the stove. The drip was an unexpected bonus, and determined which frame to use:

Hot_Mac_1416.jpg

I'd seen a similar pepper shot on the cover of a book about lighting more than 20 years earlier, and always wanted to try it. When I found myself with an empty 10 gallon tank, I decided to go ahead and set it up and shoot it:

Pepper_Drop_1042.jpg

When a tree frog hopped into a house I was staying at, I knew I had to shoot him. It took a few days to figure out how I wanted to capture the creature, finally settling on the lighting and building a background out of sticks and paper for the shoot:

Tree_Frog_0720.jpg

Tree_Frog_0678.jpg

The spider situation was similar, but he died before I figured out how to shoot him, so in addition to building a background, I also had to pose him the way I envisioned it, and that wasn't as easy as I'd hoped:

Spider-2282.jpg

I'd been fooling with the microscope to make photos through it, when I thought it'd make a nice subject itself. I thought about the lighting for a couple days before deciding on this combination and setting it up:

Research_2946.jpg

I thought about how to pull this one off for a couple weeks, during which time I built apparatus to make it possible, made a few tests related to it, and waited for a moonless night:

The_Enchanted_Place_6273.jpg

I also scout locations by joy riding and playing with Google Earth. Parking garages are some of my favorite spots for cityscapes.

When you get to 10K, you get a leather TPF jacket.

Still waiting for the bastards to ship mine...

I don't really feel that it's "done", but this is probably one of my most thought out photos:

2012031303 by J E, on Flickr

Probably my best example of getting it right the first time...

This thread seems to be turning into a "show us your pictures of every damned thing!" thread. Which isn't necessarily bad... I'm just not sure it was what OP intended. It's also sort of... I dunno... recursive? lol Something.

Can't say I've ever really pre-concieved or pre-planned any photographs, these two were subjects that presented themselves and I then went to some trouble to get what I wanted, worth it though (IMO).

8697734722_7792639a48_b.jpg

8697735082_72ab68c2c2_b.jpg

Both these were taken with my doddery old HS10 so no danger of gear bragging.

This thread seems to be turning into a "show us your pictures of every damned thing!" thread. Which isn't necessarily bad... I'm just not sure it was what OP intended. It's also sort of... I dunno... recursive? lol Something.

Every damn thing....as long as it's artistic.

ls -R |grep .art$

haha

Most reactions

New Topics

Back