Steak Pie

redbourn

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
best-food.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My latest food photo and hopefully they are getting better.

It looks a little too yellow to me and also seems to have a hint of green.

I used a gray card and also have Spyder hardware which I used to calibrate my monitor.

Have tried to incorporate some tips that were given me on previous posts.

Comment and suggestions would be very welcome.

Michael

steak pie-2.jpg

I'd eat it, so, guess the shot is just fine. <3

You'd eat anything.

I don't see the yellow that you mentioned. The whites look white to me. I think you still need to expand your posing repertoire. I see only the two dishes, and while they look good, it doesn't make a good photogenic composition.

You'd eat anything.

I don't see the yellow that you mentioned. The whites look white to me. I think you still need to expand your posing repertoire. I see only the two dishes, and while they look good, it doesn't make a good photogenic composition.

Thanks, I'm just working on so much right now. Camera softbox and layout etc.

When I start to get photos that I can use for my book I will go back and reshoot a lot or all of them.

Makes recooking every meal again.

I think this photo is pretty good for my book.

I like it - looks very appetising!
I actually like the composition - good leading lines and the colour of the vegetables brings a freshness to the pie.

Both the pastry and the meat
steak pie-2-1.jpg
have a slight greenish tinge. In Lightroom I did a white balance by sampling the light shadow areas of dish handle, the resulting correction was temp -1, tint +27 and much nicer colours.
If colour rendition is important to you (as I suspect it is in food photography) you should do a custom white balance for your camera at the start of each session. Also if you shoot RAW you could consider getting an X-rite Colorchecker Passport and making a custom colour profile for your camera under your studio lighting conditions. You should find that the colours come out much truer using a custom camera profile in ACR than they do using the Adobe defaults.

Garnish the pie I would, and get a little lower to include some background separation.

Looks tasty.

Here are some of my feedback below, also I would have liked to see all the meat in focus (focus stacking would help), I would have removed all the highlights where the meat meets the gravy and on the meat (circular polarizer would fix this), the underexposed area could be fixed with a white bounce card (I use white/black foam board).

I also see the green tint, but your whites are white so I would select the crust and reduce the green saturation. I would add have lowered the angle a little more and added a glass or milk/ice tea and adding a fork might add that little bit of a pop.

What kind of lights are you using CFL? Some of these can cast a green tint also be vigilant about what you are wearing(stay with dark colors) and other colorful things around your shooting area color cast could be causing this too.

Please don't think this is a bad review it is pretty good just trying to get you to the next step. Also remember keep shooting you can only get better.

steak pie-2.jpg

Garnish the pie I would, and get a little lower to include some background separation.

Looks tasty.
Thanks for the tips!
Here are some of my feedback below, also I would have liked to see all the meat in focus (focus stacking would help), I would have removed all the highlights where the meat meets the gravy and on the meat (circular polarizer would fix this), the underexposed area could be fixed with a white bounce card (I use white/black foam board).

I also see the green tint, but your whites are white so I would select the crust and reduce the green saturation. I would add have lowered the angle a little more and added a glass or milk/ice tea and adding a fork might add that little bit of a pop.

What kind of lights are you using CFL? Some of these can cast a green tint also be vigilant about what you are wearing(stay with dark colors) and other colorful things around your shooting area color cast could be causing this too.

Please don't think this is a bad review it is pretty good just trying to get you to the next step. Also remember keep shooting you can only get better.

View attachment 111828

Thanks for the comments.

Clone stamp well spotted! Might not have needed to do it as it was some pastry.

I can darken the veg in LR but not much I can do about over exposed now. What could I have done about it when shooting?

Very interesting about the clothes and never thought about that !

I don't know about "focus stacking" but will check it out.

CFL - 5500 just one.

View attachment 111828

"Focus stacking (also known as focal plane merging and z-stacking or focus blending) is a digital image processing technique which combines multiple images taken at different focus distances to give a resulting image with a greater depth of field (DOF) than any of the individual source images".

I have the photo right up to f22 - so will play with it - thanks.

Both the pastry and the meat View attachment 111822 have a slight greenish tinge. In Lightroom I did a white balance by sampling the light shadow areas of dish handle, the resulting correction was temp -1, tint +27 and much nicer colours.
If colour rendition is important to you (as I suspect it is in food photography) you should do a custom white balance for your camera at the start of each session. Also if you shoot RAW you could consider getting an X-rite Colorchecker Passport and making a custom colour profile for your camera under your studio lighting conditions. You should find that the colours come out much truer using a custom camera profile in ACR than they do using the Adobe defaults.

Wow thanks. There is so much to learn.

How deep is the rabbit hole?

Only being doing photography for a few months.

Am writing a cookbook so need the images.

What I did was to photograph the food and a gray card, load the photos into LR - loaded the gray card and created a preset and then used the preset on the photo. Is that a way to go?

I have a Nikon D3300 and am shooting raw. Have a light box and large reflector, which seems to be too large.

I don't know what an X-rite Colorchecker is but will check it out. My camera and lens profile are loaded into LR 5

I am super encouraged that posters are giving me so much detailed feedback.

I am such a newbie.

Thank y0u.
focus stacking.jpg
steak pie-2.jpg
focus stacking.jpg

I tried to combine all of the feedback into the attached before and after.

The meat looks so much better !

I couldn't tone down some of the white very much without showing 'corruption' for want over a different word.

It seemed almost impossible to lose much green without effecting the yellows, but I lost some.

Tried focus stacking for the first time but it only showed the attached which didn't seem helpful. Maybe because of my lack of knowledge on how to use it.

Attachments

• final steak pie.jpg
    final steak pie.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 124

Most reactions

New Topics

Back