dyl_nnn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Do you think that having certain tendencies as a photographer is a bad thing? Such as preferring certain angles, lighting, or crop? Or is this simply part of someone's "style"?

Personally, I find myself feeling discouraged when I notice that some of my photos are essentially the same composition but with different subjects. Do other people feel the same? Is this just the nature of photography or am I doing something wrong? How do y'all keep yourselves in positions of "creative growth"?

I'm specifically in reference to portrait photography as that is what I prefer to shoot, but I'd like to hear as many opinions as possible.

There really are not that many variations in portrait photographyOne can have have full face, three-quarter face,profile, etc. There are extreme close up, close up, head and shoulders, bust ,half body, three-quarter body,and full length poses. There is a surprising amount of repetition in portrait photography, from sitting to sitting to sitting.

Last edited:
There really are not that many variations in portrait photography. Do you have full face ,three-quarter face,profile, etc. There are extreme close up close ups head and shoulders bust half body three-quarter body and full length poses. There is a surprising amount of repetition in portrait photography, from sitting to sitting to sitting.
When you put it that way I agree, but I don't know. Perhaps I'm missing a bit of confidence. At the same time, when I go to compose my portraits, I absolutely hate going for the same composition and it really throws me off during shoots.

Do you think that having certain tendencies as a photographer is a bad thing? Such as preferring certain angles, lighting, or crop? Or is this simply part of someone's "style"?

Personally, I find myself feeling discouraged when I notice that some of my photos are essentially the same composition but with different subjects. Do other people feel the same? Is this just the nature of photography or am I doing something wrong? How do y'all keep yourselves in positions of "creative growth"?

I'm specifically in reference to portrait photography as that is what I prefer to shoot, but I'd like to hear as many opinions as possible.
Are you a professional photographer? When looking at your body of work, is it so repetitious that it is boring to look at? Do your clients/subjects complain?

My first thought is; that you shouldn't worry about it. Just relax and enjoy the ride.

My second thought is; that you could expand your repertoire by examining other photographers' work. Pick up a few pointers and find something new.

What do you look for in a shot, and how do you judge it?

For example, if you think the shot is defined by the lens you use, the camera settings and the lighting you choose then this is what you will get. Doubly so if you then only train yourself to look at these things when you assess your shots.

If you look at the subject and try to understand him/her then you will find that the poses and lighting will to a subtle effect influenced by that understanding.

If it's creative you're after then technique shouldn't dictate the subject, but the subject should influence the technique.

Are you a professional photographer? When looking at your body of work, is it so repetitious that it is boring to look at? Do your clients/subjects complain?

My first thought is; that you shouldn't worry about it. Just relax and enjoy the ride.

My second thought is; that you could expand your repertoire by examining other photographers' work. Pick up a few pointers and find something new.

No, not professional, but I'm looking to take it there. I'm in college and have been shooting, primarily on film, for a few years now. I wouldn't call my entire body of work repetitious, however I do notice that with my portraits I sometimes default for certain compositions. My issue is that I feel that this act of defaulting is a copout and that it's evidence that I'm somehow plateauing because I'm not necessarily thinking about anything.

I can post examples if this helps.

No, not professional, but I'm looking to take it there. I'm in college and have been shooting, primarily on film, for a few years now. I wouldn't call my entire body of work repetitious, however I do notice that with my portraits I sometimes default for certain compositions. My issue is that I feel that this act of defaulting is a copout and that it's evidence that I'm somehow plateauing because I'm not necessarily thinking about anything.

I can post examples if this helps.
Though, it's possible you're right and I'm just overthinking the process in general.

What do you look for in a shot, and how do you judge it?

For example, if you think the shot is defined by the lens you use, the camera settings and the lighting you choose then this is what you will get. Doubly so if you then only train yourself to look at these things when you assess your shots.

If you look at the subject and try to understand him/her then you will find that the poses and lighting will to a subtle effect influenced by that understanding.

If it's creative you're after then technique shouldn't dictate the subject, but the subject should influence the technique.
It depends, I find that I most often run into issues when I take photos on the fly. For example, at my college I've been doing a series of portraits of students of color and I've found that in these portraits I often compose them the same way and it just doesn't sit well with me.

For example, at my college I've been doing a series of portraits of students of color and I've found that in these portraits I often compose them the same way and it just doesn't sit well with me.
Wait...whoa! Are you saying that you put your subject's head in the frame, and include at least a portion of the upper torso as well?

O..M...G! I can see now why you are frustrated! I guess having your subjects standing on their heads and photographing only their legs simply has not occurred to you. Well, lighten up, man! Get with it!

Yeah, maybe a few examples would help. We don't steal photographs here, so post your problem shots and somebody on here will offer gentle guidance.

For example, at my college I've been doing a series of portraits of students of color and I've found that in these portraits I often compose them the same way and it just doesn't sit well with me.
Wait...whoa! Are you saying that you put your subject's head in the frame, and include at least a portion of the upper torso as well?

O..M...G! I can see now why you are frustrated! I guess having your subjects standing on their heads and photographing only their legs simply has not occurred to you. Well, lighten up, man! Get with it!

Yeah, maybe a few examples would help. We don't steal photographs here, so post your problem shots and somebody on here will offer gentle guidance.

Hahaha, ok. I've come to the conclusion I'm just overthinking. I think I was looking for something more in a place there isn't. The portraits are in BW which probably doesn't help either. Not having color is just one less distinguishing feature of a photo.

The resolution of the images is too big to upload here. If anyone has a better method of showing images, would appreciate. Otherwise, my instagram is the same as my username here.

At this point though, I've overcome whatever confidence/overthinking issues I was having. To be frank, no one at my college takes photography as seriously as I do and I just don't have anyone to talk to about these issues so they fester until it gets to this point. Thanks for all the help.

Hahaha, ok. I've come to the conclusion I'm just overthinking. I think I was looking for something more in a place there isn't.

Yep, it doesn't reside in your choice of composition on the fly. What makes people interesting is people not composition. When I used to do this on film, when I was young, I didn't *shoot on the fly*. What I did was hover around with a camera until the subjects got used to it and started to behave naturally or even perform a little or sometimes candid. Wait for the subjects to reveal themselves to the camera rather than think it was my skill with the camera that revealed them. If you see what I mean.

They are on my Smugmug here, but near the bottom of the page so scroll through the dross, all B&W 35mm film:

A Different View - timtuckerphoto

Thanks.
Hahaha, ok. I've come to the conclusion I'm just overthinking. I think I was looking for something more in a place there isn't.

Yep, it doesn't reside in your choice of composition on the fly. What makes people interesting is people not composition. When I used to do this on film, when I was young, I didn't *shoot on the fly*. What I did was hover around with a camera until the subjects got used to it and started to behave naturally or even perform a little or sometimes candid. Wait for the subjects to reveal themselves to the camera rather than think it was my skill with the camera that revealed them. If you see what I mean.

They are on my Smugmug here, but near the bottom of the page so scroll through the dross, all B&W 35mm film:

A Different View - timtuckerphoto
Thanks Tim. I love the one titled "Frank". I also shoot film, but medium format and print in my school's darkroom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back