Hahaha, ok. I've come to the conclusion I'm just overthinking. I think I was looking for something more in a place there isn't. The portraits are in BW which probably doesn't help either. Not having color is just one less distinguishing feature of a photo.
If you have an editing application, it will probably let you save an image in a smaller file size. And as for B&W, you apparently haven't seen anything from the masters in B&W. Try to get it even somewhat close and you'll have something good.

Hahaha, ok. I've come to the conclusion I'm just overthinking. I think I was looking for something more in a place there isn't. The portraits are in BW which probably doesn't help either. Not having color is just one less distinguishing feature of a photo.
If you have an editing application, it will probably let you save an image in a smaller file size. And as for B&W, you apparently haven't seen anything from the masters in B&W. Try to get it even somewhat close and you'll have something good.
I've compressed it to 2.3 mb and still can't upload. Lightroom won't let me compress it further.

If an image coming out of Lightroom is too large, then you've got the image quality setting wayyyyyyyyyyyy too high. Set the quality level MUCH lower in the Lightroom preferences, and you'll end up with images that are a mere 350k to 500k,and yet which look fine on-screen. This is a sort of counterintuitive state of affairs.

If an image coming out of Lightroom is too large, then you've got the image quality setting wayyyyyyyyyyyy too high. Set the quality level MUCH lower in the Lightroom preferences, and you'll end up with images that are a mere 350k to 500k,and yet which look fine on-screen. This is a sort of counterintuitive state of affairs.

The issue isn't with file size it is with actual dimensions which are 7008x8435. I shoot medium format and scan at 3200 dpi. I'm just going to screenshot the images and upload.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 12.10.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 12.10.16 AM.png
    272.6 KB · Views: 143
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 12.12.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 12.12.40 AM.png
    233.3 KB · Views: 147
Uhhhh, the file storage size is wayyyyyyy too large for the servers here; 2.3 megabyte image files are way too large in terms of file size for TPF: there's a LIMIT here, and your files storage size is way over that limit. Additionally, an image that is greater than 8,000 pixels on the long dimension is far too big for on-screen display. You might want to have Lightroom down-size the image files when you do the export, and you'll have images that are more web-friendly.

Uhhhh, the file storage size is wayyyyyyy too large for the servers here; 2.3 megabyte image files are way too large in terms of file size for TPF: there's a LIMIT here, and your files storage size is way over that limit. Additionally, an image that is greater than 8,000 pixels on the long dimension is far too big for on-screen display. You might want to have Lightroom down-size the image files when you do the export, and you'll have images that are more web-friendly.
I upload to instagram and/or 500px and it works fine. If it becomes more of an issue I can fix it but for now it's not a big deal for me.

I upload to instagram and/or 500px and it works fine. If it becomes more of an issue I can fix it but for now it's not a big deal for me.

You asked for help about how to upload files here. You got answers. YES, Instagram holds your hand and down-rezzes images to itsy-bitzy,low-rez size. The fact that uploading huge files to Instagram with its automatic file-shrinking capability works, well, that doesn't change the fact that your file storage requirements for your huge scans are over the limit for THIS website. I'm glad it's not a big deal for you. We'd hate to see it be a big deal for you.

I liked most your portrait of the artist guy with the slight sun flare. That was my fave shot from your Instagram. My suggestion would be to work on building more low-tone and mid-tone contrast in your B&W. Many of your shots look "muddy", to use an old description. Low-contrast B&W doesn't grab the eye very much.

KEEP at it! Keep shooting!

You asked for help about how to upload files here. You got answers. YES, Instagram holds your hand and down-rezzes images to itsy-bitzy,low-rez size. The fact that uploading huge files to Instagram doesn't change the fact that your file storage requirements for your huge scans are over the limit for THIS website. I'm glad it's not a big deal for you. We'd hate to see it be a big deal for you.

ok thanks lol

This thread might help you with sharing the photos without having to jump through too many hoops
How to Post Photos to the Forums

I'm sure if you've got them uploaded to 500pixs there will be a similar means of embedding and sharing on forums open to you, though I've not used that service to know how to work it. Note as you don't want to resize you can ignore those comments and focus more on the mechanics of how to share the photo across

The issue isn't with file size it is with actual dimensions which are 7008x8435. I shoot medium format and scan at 3200 dpi. I'm just going to screenshot the images and upload.
Thank you for posting those two portraits.

I think I see why you feel as though you're in a rut, photographically speaking.

Both these portraits do indeed look the same, which is not bad in and of itself, but your technique could use a boost. Making boring portraits might work in some circumstances, but they are boring nevertheless.

You have shot with an extremely thin DOF, which is distracting.
You have framed very tightly (too tightly).
Your subjects have the same non-smiling visage. (boring)
The lighting is flat. (don't do that)
You're way too close. (don't do that, either)

So try to work on those things I have mentioned and see if it makes a difference in the way you feel about your work, photographically speaking.

This thread might help you with sharing the photos without having to jump through too many hoops
How to Post Photos to the Forums

I'm sure if you've got them uploaded to 500pixs there will be a similar means of embedding and sharing on forums open to you, though I've not used that service to know how to work it. Note as you don't want to resize you can ignore those comments and focus more on the mechanics of how to share the photo across
Thanks will do. Much appreciated

I think it has to do with your personal style as well as your general experience. No matter what as you keep shooting you're bound to try new things and discover new ways of doing things as you keep learning, so just keep shooting and don't overthink it.

We often forget that while we're doing the "same ole thing", the subject is not. The subject is getting their portrait taken and they expect a photo of themselves.
If you feel in a rut then you have to take other photos. Head out on campus and try for buildings or squirrels or whatever.

There is nothing wrong with having a tried and true studio set up that you know works. Correct exposure and knowing the limits of your equipment are all great to know. However - if you feel everything has a similar appearance and that make you not satisfied, then you're probably right. Portraiture is all about the subject. Color vs B&W normally won't change composition. That's the photographer's job. Being on a college campus might offer different locations, challenges and opportunities to try something different. Perhaps you have a friend willing to be your model so you can try something different. Explore other photographer's work. Not to copy but to find inspiration. Good luck and keep us informed of your results. I often say, Photography is a journey, not a destination!

Most reactions

Back